Old habits - advise needed

oxoxallyoxox

Okay I swore this would never happen but some of my old habits are creeping back up - I seem to want to eat constantly after my daughter is going to bed and I cant say no to myself... During the day I say right tonight yur going straight to bed and you just have to tell your self no. And what do I do? Eat 2 apples and a granola bar Has anyone any advise before I start gaining weight again?

Okay I swore this would never happen but some of my old habits are creeping back up -

It's very easy done. Our lives are made up of little rituals. When you were on a tfr, you made a new ritual that didn't include food. You made a new wiring, but the old wiring concerning food is still there. Now you need to tackle that.

You see, your tfr wiring said "can't have food...won't have food", but once you are allowed to have food, it goes to the wire that says "can have, will have food"

If you imagine a chain. You do X and then Y, then Z. It all follows through. You have to break that chain.

The best way of doing it, is to interrupt it mid process. Wanting something you should have is good. Yes really. It gives you a chance to work on a new ritual. The more you work on it, the stronger it gets and the better you get at resisting.

So, you say to yourself that you can have something...but not just yet. You remind yourself what you are trying to do. Don't need to distract yourself...in fact, I believe that isn't a good idea. You just have to be in peace with it...but...you do have to practise 'stopping'. Find yourself going towards something that you really shouldn't have and stop....just stop

We are so used to wanting food = having food. I know if the circumstances are right; kids in bed, time to relax, I could find myself just going and eating something off plan almost robotically. I taught myself that want=have.

Thing is, the chain is longer than that. It's 'circumstances are right/want/go to get/prepare to eat/take a bite/take another bite'. If you can stop it during the first part of the chain, you will learn a new trick, but you have to keep trying, keep reinforcing it.

OH my...not explaining myself well. Got a crashing headache :(

Okay...so you really need to stop and 'want'. Sit with yourself for a moment. Put in a pause. Agree with yourself that there is nothing wrong with 'wanting', and now you have an opportunity to change that wiring or chain. You can make 'want' = 'pause' or 'not having'.

Give yourself 15 minutes or so. Just don't grab the food.

If after 15 minutes you are still sure you must have, then I guess you must, but you have put in that pause, and gone someway towards rewiring which will not only help now, but will see you well into the future.

Waffle, waffle. Hope this makes sense :D

I seem to want to eat constantly after my daughter is going to bed and I cant say no to myself... During the day I say right tonight yur going straight to bed and you just have to tell your self no. And what do I do? Eat 2 apples and a granola bar Has anyone any advise before I start gaining weight again?[/quote]

Okay I swore this would never happen but some of my old habits are creeping back up - I seem to want to eat constantly after my daughter is going to bed and I cant say no to myself... During the day I say right tonight yur going straight to bed and you just have to tell your self no. And what do I do? Eat 2 apples and a granola bar Has anyone any advise before I start gaining weight again?
Granola bars rock!! (but have high cal content!)
And help wise.. you have found your food trigger....bordem!!! you now need to work to overcome that trigger...get a hobby, if you have a hubby, go out for a run, exercise class, visit a friend, then have a bath, then do things you would normally do in the day , such as ironing...anything ..just keep your mind active and stay away from food!
LT TFR was the easy part, now you need to work on chaning your lifestyle with food!
It will take time hun, nut you will get there x x x

You could also read you are what you eat book...its fab and some of the pictures and explanations in there will make you put things back in the cupboard x x:)
I also read in a one of my many low GI books, that we all have trigger foods, the things that make you want to eat more i.e sweet things(even if they are healthy...they still install that craving, moreish thing in our minds) and if you abstain for a few weeks sometimes months you won't crave them again x x
Tell me to shut up if you like lol xx

I too get the munchies at night, but I go for ryvitas or fat free yoghurt, I'm very happy with this, they are low in calories and seem to hit my spot. In the past it would have been 2 -3 bags crisps, chocolate biccy's, etc,etc, etc.

Thanks guys!! KD that explanation is brill - I am going to work on breaking that chain. I have a night out tonight - and my original plan was to eat light meals all day but ive changed that now - when im hungry I should eat, but obviously food thats loverly and healthy Nic - Its hard to get hobbies as I cant always get out in the evenings because of my daughter. But I do read a lot - I went through a phase of getting books that would improve me

I am the same hun... i am a single mum...but, i make sure i have loads to do in the evenings..exercise indoors..or i even go into the garden and do random things, i leave all my ironing till the evening, do most of my cleaning as well, read and internet it alot ...bascially i am never not doing anything! helps me...just an idea xx

I do most of my stuff during the day i do be afraid if I wait until the evening then Ill be too tired. When im online - I still like to eat - Its so annoying During the day I feel so in control. I think Its because after breakfast I can think about what ill have for lunch. After lunch I can think about what to have for dinner, but after dinner I have nothing left maybe its panic that makes me eat. If that makes any sense

Makes perfect sense to me ally, I'm forever coming up with new meal ideas (healthy ones) but its still thinking about food a lot. Also in the evenings boredom does make me want to eat. I'm into craft making and have been busy when on LT making all my wedding invitations and that really took my mind of it but when I've nothing to do I start wanting food. What I do now thought is I think to myself, "Yes I want something but am I hungry?" most of the time the answer is no so I tell myself no theres no need to have any food but go get a hot drink instead.

Back