Oldies

yoyoer

Silver Member
Are there any 60+ people who want to lose weight but find it very hard. I believe it is harder to lose weight as we get older and even harder to keep it off after. It takes me ages to get past a certain weight before getting a bit easier for a while then coming up against another log jam. If I lose focus for a week or two I find all the effort is undone again grrr!!

Coming up on 50 here. What I found was that trying to lose weight on my existing diet - vegetarian with dairy- was very difficult. And I was hungry all the time when I did.
But now that I have switched to a whole food, plant based diet, essentially vegan, the weight is falling away with very little effort. Also, I feel much more energetic and it is much easi to exercise. I just walk, but go 3-4 miles a day with ease with the dog now instead of 1 mile with difficulty.

That's interesting although I wouldn't last long on that sort of diet because I am not vegetarian and would miss my meat too much. It did remind me of a sort of non combining carbohydrate and protein 'Dr Hay' type diet I tried once. It had quite dramatic effect but I couldn't keep it up sadly. I think I may try again as long as I can build in some of the food I enjoy, like meat lasagne from time to time.

I have, wherever possible, been having protein only for breakfast and vegetable and carbohydrate for lunch and it seems to be making a difference. If I can switch to protein and vegetables (no potato) or vegetables and carbohydrate for my main meals I think I would lose weight much quicker. A mission in progress and an experiment I hope to carry out but it feels like a sacrifice at the moment!

Originally I also followed the Hay diet, separating starches and protein. The weight loss was really fast when combined with the whole-food plant-based diet. After about 6 weeks though I gave up the combining since I was feeling so very good. And I just wanted tofu with my rice and stir fry!
I still separate when it is easy to, but don't stress about it. Might go back to it at some point if my energy dips. But I don't think it will!

Back