omg green day vs myfitnesspal

jacqui35

Silver Member
Omg i cant believe when doing a green day that the fitness pal is always way over

here is menu for today

Green day

Breakfast - 3 eggs (omlette), mushrooms, tomatos, spaghetti in tomato sauce, mozerella (A)

Lunch -Tesco H/L wholemeal bap (B), beef slices (2), lettuce, tomato, mayo (2)

Dinner - Batchelors pasta n sauce cheese ham and leek (1), sweetcorn, mushrooms

Snacks - hifi bar (B) milk (A) hot chocolate (3) barcardi (5)

Syns 13

And here is what i put in myfitnesspal.com

Totals 2,141 274
Your Daily Goal 1,650 227
Remaining -491 -47
Calories Carbs

I cant believe it puts me over 491 calories, but on red im well under grrrrrr i wonder why, tbh these are not big meals either :cry:

To be honest, whenever I have followed a calorie controlled diet, I find have to change the types of foods I eat. So for instance, I wouldn't eat a packet of Batchelors pasta n sauce on a calorie diet because its just too high in calories...but on SW its free. When I have followed WW, I cannot eat SW foods and keep withing my points. What I am saying is, different foods for different diets.
That is why I just do not think you can combine two diets together.
If people want to follow a colorie controlled diet then its their choice but you can't eat foods that are allowed on SW and expect to keep under the cals allowed in a day on another plan.

I personally think all this chat about cals on SW is confusing newbies that come on here for support about SW.
I hope no one will take this personally, it isn't meant to be that way and clearly for some people this has worked.....

In answer to your query though Jacqui, if you are under calories on red days, yet over on green, maybe all added up over a week will give you positive results? If not, maybe red days would suit you more?

Good Luck

If you look at your whole week doing red and green do you find that the calories add up better? That's the way I would look at it. Maybe that's why I was such a slow loser the last time I did SW I did almost all green days now I prefer red though I do try and mix them up for variety.

i agree with lentil. i think it's easy to start over analysing things on SW. SW is so much more than a calorie controlled diet.... you'll find you eat considerably lower amounts of fat now compared to when not dieting which also needs to be taken into consideration, along with the increase in fresh fruit/veg and higher fibre and calcium intake. SW has thought about the bigger picture so you don't have to. ;)

Thanks all im only having the pasta and sauce is cos no time as going to a concert and not eating at the food court so preparing myself before hand and yes you are right maybe i should just stick to sw and check calories one when i do exercise tbh im trying allsorts of way to help me lose more weight as someone mentioned on here in this post about being a slow loser and im one of them and its upsetting.

many thanks again all xxxxx

Jacqui when I looked at your diary for today I honestly didn't think you were eating enough.

I'm also doing green today & so far I've had 2 wholemeal bread with marmite & tofu & low fat yoghurt, lunch couscous with peppers & onion, I'm hungry now & need a snack but not sure what to have, I fancy polenta porridge but I've not got any frozen fruit in - just pears & oranges & don't really fancy them. I don't know what dinner will be yet.

But if I had your diary today I'd be putting in more snacks:p And I agree with Lentil2 you can't mix the two diets together.

I have mentioned it before on another post, but it isnt just about calories, but also about the fat content and how our body processes certain foods. Alot of the SW free foods have a low GI, which means our body processes them slower, which keeps us fuller for longer and we are less likely to store fat. However foods with a high GI, which are mostly non free foods our body processes quickly and doesnt have enough chance to break down the fat, hence why you would gain weight.

I do agree though that the batchelor savoury rices/pastas etc are not exactly a healthy choice, and would avoid them where possibly. I know they are classed as a free food (I am still not sure why), but they are high in calories and fat.

I would try and not worry too much about counting calories. SW works for a reason. You may have a higher calorie intake one day but like you said on red days you have less. If it's getting to you that much work out the calories over a period of a week. You will probably see you are doig pretty good. Try and keep a good mix of red and green days. Might work out well for you. But please try and not worry too much.

Good luck with what you decide xx

I agree with BritMumInCanada. My daily calories average out at probably more than I need to maintain, yet I have lost a lot of weight. There is more to SW than just reducing you calories.

If you start counting calories then you're doing away with one of the features of SW that makes it so successful. If you have you count what you eat you then put yourself under pressure to limit what you eat. The great thing with SW is that you can eat when you're hungry without counting and without guilt. This is why I have stuck with SW for nearly a year and manage to avoid many temptations. I always know that at home I can eat healthy, satisfying meals so why eat foods that are bad for me.

Having said that, I think we need to be aware that some free foods are probably best eaten in moderation, especially for those with less weight to lose like myself. My losses are slow and I know I need to watch how many carbs I eat. However, I can live with the slow losses as this diet is still working and I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. If I start calorie counting now I think I would set myself up for failure. I need the freedom that SW gives me.

I think we should all have a bit more trust in the peeps at SW as years and years of research have gone into developing the plan and millions of people have lost lots of weight following it! They wouldn't include foods in the 'free' list without good reason! I think it's trial and error though, foods which help some peoples' losses may inhibit others, eg some people just don't get on with bread, others can't handle potatoes, I think it's all a bit of a learning curve which involves getting to know our bodies better which is a good thing and something we should have been doing long ago! With regards to the calorie counting issue, I chose SW because it gives us so much freedom! I don't mind weighing my cereals and cheeses and measuring my milk, but that's where it ends- I refuse to be a slave to calorie/point counting for the rest of my life!!X

Although I've been raving about MFP recently, I should take this opportunity to re-state my belief that you should totally stick to SW and not calorie count unless you're really struggling!
Yours is a prime example and if you're losing at a nice, steady rate with green, red or extra easy, eating loads of free and speed foods with all your HEs then there's no need to calorie count as well.

Personally, my cal counting started as a by-product of keeping an iPhone food diary and as I've gone on, I've found that sticking to 1200-1500 cals has really helped me get through my slow losses. 6lbs in 3 weeks. Unheard of for me previously. I've never counted my cals before and managed to lose almost 2 stone in just over a year - so, slowly but surely...and successfully! I'm only 6lbs from target now and it's been tough since Christmas! So the calorie counting with SW is working for me. Once I'm at target I will be back to plain SW, which I LOVE and should see me maintaining happily. That's the plan.

I only do green days and when I use my fitness pal I find I regularly cant get above 1200 cals a day and it tells me I am not eating enough - but I also dont eat processed foods - this might make a difference as to how satisfied I am on the amount I eat
as each gram of carbs and each gram of protein has equal cals it shouldnt make much difference which type of day you do - but obviously some people dont feel as satisfied with what they eat on green days and some on red days

I chose SW because it gives us so much freedom! I don't mind weighing my cereals and cheeses and measuring my milk, but that's where it ends- I refuse to be a slave to calorie/point counting for the rest of my life!!X

ditto! I agree with fancurls, why count when sw does it all for you?

it seems you are very keen to lose weight, and I can understand that, I have felt like that too. However, I think it would be better for you to let go of how many calories are on this day or that day or this diet or that diet...

you will drive yourself crazy girl! ;)

track what you eat on sw website, the food diary makes it easy to see what you can and cant have. plan your days/weeks if you can, trust and follow the diet, and relax and focus on the rest of life.

it is great to lose weight, and it is hard when you want it to come off quickly, but sweetheart, try dont to obsess about it, it will give you an emotional rollercoaster, and that just makes losing weight so much harder.

give yourself a bit of patience and TLC, it will work.

xx

as each gram of carbs and each gram of protein has equal cals it shouldnt make much difference which type of day you do - but obviously some people dont feel as satisfied with what they eat on green days and some on red days
It shouldn't but it obviously does as Jacqui's post shows. I don't necessarily feel less satisfied I tend to pick higher calorie meals. For example on a red day I usually have a sandwich for lunch, where on a green day I might have a mugshot because I enjoy them and I know I can.

in my opinion - the reason i am doing SW instead of WW is so that i dont have to count all of my food all of the time....im sure thats the appeal of the plan to me.

Calorie counting is when its not working so well, and perhaps a method to keep your eye on things. to compare the two seems a waste of time, as you would constantly be battling against calories and food intake.

Enjoy the plan - dont stress about the calories too much! x

Alot of the SW free foods have a low GI, which means our body processes them slower, which keeps us fuller for longer and we are less likely to store fat. However foods with a high GI, which are mostly non free foods our body processes quickly and doesnt have enough chance to break down the fat, hence why you would gain weight.
These are just my thoughts for people who have been doing SW for months and months and have become stuck. Not for newcomers or people who have STS for a couple of weeks
Now we have adjusted our diets to a healthier way perhaps we should take it up a notch further
I am really wondering whether us slow losers should take heed of your thoughts on low GI foods. On green days you are allowed potatoes, pasta and rice. Although it briefly mentions using wholemeal pasta and brown rice perhaps we should always chose that option. Slimming world chips have a high Gi as does mash potato. Perhaps we should be more vigilant of this and switch to sweet poatoes and new potatoes with their skin on. SW even avocate white nimble as a healthy extra . . . where is the healthy nutrition in that?

These are just my thoughts for people who have been doing SW for months and months and have become stuck. Not for newcomers or people who have STS for a couple of weeks
Now we have adjusted our diets to a healthier way perhaps we should take it up a notch further
I am really wondering whether us slow losers should take heed of your thoughts on low GI foods. On green days you are allowed potatoes, pasta and rice. Although it briefly mentions using wholemeal pasta and brown rice perhaps we should always chose that option. Slimming world chips have a high Gi as does mash potato. Perhaps we should be more vigilant of this and switch to sweet poatoes and new potatoes with their skin on. SW even avocate white nimble as a healthy extra . . . where is the healthy nutrition in that?

I totally agree with that Brightenrosie, and think they should make those small chaanges before trying the whole calorie counting thing. I think most of us here are doing slimming world, because we dont want to feel restricted and like we have to count everything.

Since I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, I have become really interested in the concept of Low GI foods and how it all works, so am trying to combine as much of it as possibly into my free food choices.

It means less potatoes, if you do want potatoes (new boiled ones are best), switching from white pasta/rices to wholewheat. Couscous believe it or not has a high GI, wholewheat couscous has a medium GI. Quinoa is a much better choice, as that has a low GI. I also discovered my new favorite veg, butternut squash also does not have a low GI :(. I still eat it free foods that are not low GI's, I just limit the amount of them I have, whereas before I would of eaten them freely. Then there are certain fruits like bananas, watermelon, pomegranate that also do not have a low GI.

If you are interested in trying to combine the two which is much easier than calorie counting, there are low GI lists found freely on the web. :)

SW even avocate white nimble as a healthy extra . . . where is the healthy nutrition in that?

This is going to sound a bit like and M&S advert but Nimble White is not just an ordinary white bread ... it has added fibre which brings it into the high fibre category required for a HEB.

This is going to sound a bit like and M&S advert but Nimble White is not just an ordinary white bread ... it has added fibre which brings it into the high fibre category required for a HEB.
Not convinced as it is still made from white heavily processed flour Loved your M & s moment though x

Back