On Antidepressants - need advice please!

NatM70

Loves to post loads!
Hi

I have posted this elsewhere on the boards, but was told the sub category's don't really get as much exposure as the main boards, so to post on there.

I still don't know if I am posting in the right place, so I do apologise if I am posting in the wrong place!

I am starting a VLCD (Slim n Save) on Monday 18th Feb.

I am on AD's - Mirtazipine, have been for about 6.5 years (mis-diagnosed - wanting to get off them!). I know this drug did cause a gain in weight, which tapered and stopped.

I am however, wondering if being on an AD will inhibit my weight loss on a VLCD - Does any one have experience of this they can share with me so I know what to expect please?

I have managed to lose weight on my own in the past, but always get stuck at 10st 8lbs - I know it's the AD doing this, as I've never had trouble losing before being put on them.

I suppose what I really want to know is, do they slow weight loss?, and if so, is this because the drug affects the metabolism?

Thanks in advance,
Natalie x

I'm on anti-ds too. I'm on cipramil. Can you go to your doctor and get a medication review done? 6.5 years is a long time to be on one type of anti-d. I've been on anti-ds for about 5 years and I've tried 4 types (happy with the one I'm on now).

I myself is on AD, and apart from the emotional eating (upset, pi$$ed off), I cant say that the tablet's have slowed my weight loss in any way. Good luck with your weight loss journey anyway ;) x

I'm on anti-ds too. I'm on cipramil. Can you go to your doctor and get a medication review done? 6.5 years is a long time to be on one type of anti-d. I've been on anti-ds for about 5 years and I've tried 4 types (happy with the one I'm on now).

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm going tomorrow as it happens. The last time I brought this up, the Doc didn't seem to want me to stop, even though I don't suffer with depression!
So, I am going tomorrow to tell them I am coming off the meds, and am going to obtain advice on how to do so, as I've heard that withdrawal, if not followed correctly, can be horrific?
Strange how they don't warn us of this at the time of prescribing!

Am just hoping they can give me some advice, because many GP's say AD's aren't addictive. I know they are - tried to taper myself recently, and it wasn't nice so I'm not doing that again without proper advice!!

:) xxx

I myself is on AD, and apart from the emotional eating (upset, pi$$ed off), I cant say that the tablet's have slowed my weight loss in any way. Good luck with your weight loss journey anyway ;) x

Thanks for your reply, it's made me feel a lot better about doing this VLCD - I didn't want to starve myself for weeks, only to find hardly any weight loss due to meds!

Am looking forward to starting tomorrow - I want to be in my size 10's for my friend's wedding on 4th May! (She's just started the Atkins, and has lost 7lbs in 4 days).

:) xxx

Ps. Good luck with your weight loss journey Periwinkle! And WOW, well done Choccyfan on not only losing, but maintaining! That's one thing I worry about, putting it back on after I've stopped the VLCD!!

xxx

Hi Periwinkle,

I posted a reply, but for some reason, it's not appeared! no idea where that's gone!!

I'm going to the GP's tomorrow - I want to get off these meds, as I'm not even depressed. The last time I brought it up, he didn't seem concerned about me being on a med I don't want to be on!

I hope he can give me some advice on how to taper, because even though Docs say AD's are not addictive, I know from experience they are! - I tried to taper myself recently, and felt awful so won't be doing that again without proper support!
Trouble is, I don't know how I'm going to get that support when the GP's are convinced AD's aren't addictive!!

Thanks for your reply :) If my original reply shows up at some point, I apologise for the duplication!!

xxx

Your gp doesn't sound great :( Be very blunt with him and demand his assistance. If he hums and ahhhs ask if you can be referred to someone else who can help. If you feel strong enough to cut down on your meds (with a view to cutting them out completely) then he should be able to advise and support you. Even if that antid isn't hindering your weight loss - if you don't need a medication then your gp NEEDS to help you wean off them.

I'm well jealous! You're a STONE down and you're gonna kick those medications to the curb!!!!

I hope one day I get to the stage where I can reduce my dosage :( I'm also on seroquel (it's an anti anxiety med that helps me get some sleep).

Your gp doesn't sound great :( Be very blunt with him and demand his assistance. If he hums and ahhhs ask if you can be referred to someone else who can help. If you feel strong enough to cut down on your meds (with a view to cutting them out completely) then he should be able to advise and support you. Even if that antid isn't hindering your weight loss - if you don't need a medication then your gp NEEDS to help you wean off them.

I'm well jealous! You're a STONE down and you're gonna kick those medications to the curb!!!!

I hope one day I get to the stage where I can reduce my dosage :( I'm also on seroquel (it's an anti anxiety med that helps me get some sleep).

I intend to be! I will sit there as long as it takes to get through to him I do not want, nor do not need to be on these meds! If I have to claim squatter's rights, I will, lol, as long as it takes to get some help!! :D

I lost the weight from November to now due to THREE sickness bugs! If I hadn't had those, I would most probably be a stone heavier still.
It's stayed off tho, which I am pleased about, even though I've had some very piggy days!

I'm on anti-anxiety drugs too - got to face tackling those in the future too which I am not looking forward to! My main aim at the mo though is getting off the meds I don't need, and which are probably inhibiting my ability to stabilize my weight!

You've started your VLCD already? How's it going? I am dreading the hunger and cravings!! But, I am determined to shift this weight once and for all!

xxx

I am also on AD's only since last year, but i managed to lose 1st7lb whilst on them!

Im sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

You've started your VLCD already? How's it going? I am dreading the hunger and cravings!! But, I am determined to shift this weight once and for all!

I started on Friday :) Hunger isn't too bad - it is defo manageable. I'm craving meat like mad (not allowed at this stage in my programme). Some of the replacement products are grossssssss but I'll know better what to pick next week (products are from Eurodiet)! I'm finding it really hard to get used to eating regularly! I used to eat usually one meal (after 6pm) and snacks. So I'm finding it hard to "fit in" eating breakfast, lunch and dinner AND snacks. I had a sneaky look on the scales and I appear to be down 3 pounds already but I've aunt flow in town so its hard to know!!! My birthday is April 14th and I would LOVE to be fitting into a size 14 dress by then but I'm an 18 now :/

Your first stone might have come off due to the tummy bugs but YOU kept it off and that's brilliant! Especially over Christmas and New Year!!!!!!!!!!! Well done you!!! xxx

Last edited:
I am also on AD's only since last year, but i managed to lose 1st7lb whilst on them!

Im sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

Thanks Carly, you too! :) xxx

I started on Friday :) Hunger isn't too bad - it is defo manageable. I'm craving meat like mad (not allowed at this stage in my programme). Some of the replacement products are grossssssss but I'll know better what to pick next week (products are from Eurodiet)! I'm finding it really hard to get used to eating regularly! I used to eat usually one meal (after 6pm) and snacks. So I'm finding it hard to "fit in" eating breakfast, lunch and dinner AND snacks. I had a sneaky look on the scales and I appear to be down 3 pounds already but I've aunt flow in town so its hard to know!!! My birthday is April 14th and I would LOVE to be fitting into a size 14 dress by then but I'm an 18 now :/

Your first stone might have come off due to the tummy bugs but YOU kept it off and that's brilliant! Especially over Christmas and New Year!!!!!!!!!!! Well done you!!! xxx

I'm worried I'll hate some of the stuff! I ordered a starter pack, so I could try different flavours, shakes, bars, etc. Trouble is, if they're too nice I'll crave them, lol! No win!!

That's BRILLIANT! 3lbs in two days! Prob even more when aunt flow has left lol!
If I see results like that I will be very happy!

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to fit in to that dress by then, they say on average, 14lbs a month is lost, so there's every chance you'll do it in time! Fingers crossed for you!

For some reason, I don't tend to binge over Christmas - never have! I always seem to lose at Christmas - think I'm running on nervous energy! It helps that I'm now teetotal too.

I'm looking forward to seeing your journey - they say 1/2 stone lost is one dress size, so you should get in to your dress for your Birthday - what a lovely present that would be!

xxx

Hi, I'm on citalopram (30mg) and I'm much better on them than off. I think they affect everyone differently, I put on 3.5st but that's because when I was depressed I didn't eat and used to survive on sugarfree red bull and drinking yoghurt. So for me they made me happier, less anxious and stressed and I was able to eat (and overeat!) normally. I wouldn't say it was them affecting my metabolism, more that they made me more relaxed (I had real issues about eating in front of people and, ironically considering I was very slim, I was obsessed with being fat). So if someone else ate when they were miserable, they might lose weight on them due to not feeling the need to comfort eat any more. That's my twopen'orth, ftw :)

1/2 stone - one dress size?! I don't think my body responds to logic like that! IT BETTER!!!!

Hi, I'm on citalopram (30mg) and I'm much better on them than off. I think they affect everyone differently, I put on 3.5st but that's because when I was depressed I didn't eat and used to survive on sugarfree red bull and drinking yoghurt. So for me they made me happier, less anxious and stressed and I was able to eat (and overeat!) normally. I wouldn't say it was them affecting my metabolism, more that they made me more relaxed (I had real issues about eating in front of people and, ironically considering I was very slim, I was obsessed with being fat). So if someone else ate when they were miserable, they might lose weight on them due to not feeling the need to comfort eat any more. That's my twopen'orth, ftw :)

Hiya Carmilla,

You have a point there, which I hadn't thought about. I am more relaxed, less anxious, and have a huge appetite - I can easily eat the same amount as hubby now, whereas when we first got together (15 years ago, when I was a svelte size 8!), my portion was around half the size of his.

A very valid point, thanks for that!

I too had huge problems eating socially, but I don't any more. You've definitely hit home here I think!

So now to the other extreme, I can't eat out because I am on shakes, bars, and tiny S&S meals until I reach my goal weight! It's going to ruin my social life for a while, but I am hoping the results will be worth it!

Lol, ftw....was wondering!! ;) xxx

1/2 stone - one dress size?! I don't think my body responds to logic like that! IT BETTER!!!!

That's what it's supposed to be, and from experience, what has happened to me too.
I am currently a size 14, even though I still weight 12st 8lbs (could be more - I have had a massive chocolate blast given I am starving from tomo!) - if I drop to 12st, I know I'll get in most of my size 12's. Because I did before I got preggers!

Sizes have changed over recent years, have you noticed? When I'm around the 11st mark, I am a small 12.
Yet when I was 8st 4lbs (which was always my weight until I was 28 yrs old), I was a size 10!

If I was 8st 4lbs now, I would drown in a size 10!

I think they've increased the sizes to allow for the sizes - double zero, zero, 2, 4, and 6, which weren't around when I was younger! If I was smaller than an 8, I had to buy kids clothes!

It also niggles me that sizing from shop to shop is so inconsistent too! I have a couple of size 10 tops I can easily wear now, yet others which are size 1 and are snug at that8. Go figure!!

xxx

Meant size 18 not 1, arrghhhh!

Back