On SS, what happens when BMI reaches 25

Kate78

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently on SS, after moving over to CD after LL. I've just seen on the website that I need to come off SS when my BMI reaches 25. I should reach this weight in a couple of weeks, but wanted to go on a loose more weight after this (at least a stone) Will my CDC still sell me 4 packs/day (I'm tall) or do I have to move onto another stage of the programme, will this slow down my weight loss?

Sorry, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but just started worrying about it.

Thanks, Kate

Yes, you will have to come off ss once you reach bmi 25. You should start to work through the plans with 1 week of ss+, 810, 1000, etc working towards maintenance. You will still loose weight on the higher plans so do not worry.

It is not safe to ss with a bmi of 25 or below.

This is so weird because my BMI is now below 25 and I was told to SS until I reach target (or 12 weeks, whichever is sooner) and then go through each of the steps for two weeks a time until I get to maintanence.

I'm not really that bothered because it's easier for me to stay doing the same plan as my husband to support him but I don't want to do myself any harm in the long-term.

Emmaleigh I was told the same thing? Dancing do you think it could be that the CD changed Feburary of this year? i.e. 790 replaced by 810 and the SS with AAM was changed to being able to SS for 12 weeks without any AAM weeks. I have two booklets one new one from Feb and the previous one with details of AAM. I was confused when I joined minimins as at the time I did not know what AAM was. Guess better to get more CDC opinions on this.

I'm glad you said this Kira; for a second there I thought my CDC was trying to get more money out of me rather than support my weight loss. I'm a paranoid Pamela.

Oh! Dancing I loved your posts! Firm and to the point! I'm usually a lurker as opposed to poster and love your posts. You really are very inspiring. Well hopefully some CDC's will post to confirm as well but I do agree with the point you are making. Health has to come first. My BMi is now 24.5 so I should no longer be SSing. I am seeing my CDC tomorrow for a weigh is so will also see what she says. I would hate to think a CDC would encourage one to stay on SSing simply for the money - I'm should 99% wouldn't.

Just to re-iterate, the new books which include the SS+ information say that SS and SS+ (both variants) are not to be followed below BMI 25. It says it in the first paragraph of each page.

810 can be followed until goal however, which is 3/4 cd a day plus the milk and the meal from the SS+ diet.

Dancing that is really helpful thank you!! You don't need to practice social nicetees! You are clearly very passionate when you beleive in something and of course you are right!! Now I'v read that it does make sense. I guess I will not be SSing from tomorrow! Will let you know how I get on!

That is so worrying because my BMI was 26.1 when I started so it was 25+7lbs so (going by what Dancing in saying) I should never have been allowed to start in the first place.

Emmaleigh don't panic about it. You can do something about. You need to speak to your CDC as soon as you can. You have to tell her you do not want to jeopardize your health. I guess you could if her the benefit of the doubt (if you are a softy like me!) I hate confrontation! However, you do need a straight answer from her.

Hi

Everything Dancing has posted is correct, thank you for doing this.

It may be an idea to print off Kerensa's guidance and take it with you.

At a BMI 26 the lowest plan you should have started on is the 810. The 810 programme can be continued down to BMI 20 if European or 18.5 if Asian. However, its best to introduce the stablisation steps before your bottom allowable BMI. Eg for Europeans I would allow 810 down to 22.5/23 then work a week at each of the other steps.

With regard to the BMI 25 plus a stone to START a VLCD (ss or ss+) this applies to all regardless of ethnicity.

I'm Asian and my BMI (following this week's weight loss on my own scales) as gone to just under 25. So should I be on 810 and then be able to alternate a week of SS followed by another week of 810? Sorry if I am being a little dense! Will of course check with my own CDC when I see her.

Hi

Everyone should be on 810 cals by BMI 25, as an Asian you can continue longer on this programme as the bottom BMI level is lower.

You cannot alternate between the two as once BMI 25 or below SS or SS+ should be stopped.

Back