One for the ladies...anyone got a Mirena or coil fitted?

I'm on my second one, with a few years break inbetween.
My first one, I had no problems at all. This one has been a different story.... it has made me overproduce sebum, resulting in acne which needs to be controlled by long term antibiotics (as in for as long as I have the coil!). I can't take the pill though so don't have much choice, it's this or the POP and I can't be doing with taking a pill at the same time every day.

I also don't fancy a traditional coil.

The thing I do like about this though, is no periods. Not proper ones anyway, a bit of spotting from time to time but nothing to shout about. The only thing it, you never know when it's going to happen!

It's good and very reliable but I'm considering being sterilised at some point as I don't really want another one when this has "run out".

mommyB said:
This ha sbeen interesting to me as I am having my first coil fitted on friday-not the mirena one tho as my docotr wants me to have one without hormones as I am premenopausal and they want to monitr what my own hormones are up to.
Thanks to everyone for sharing and fingers crossed for me !!

Well my son who is now 23 is the result of a regular coil but hopefully they have changed by now x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well my son who is now 23 is the result of a regular coil but hopefully they have changed by now x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yesterday was my bf's daughter's 1st birthday and she is the result of the traditional coil (although to be fair, if her body wanted to get pregnant I think the only way to stop it would be to not let her within a mile of any man - she was on the pill when she conceived her other two)

Well I saw the doc today and he said that the Mirena would be fine for me after the dvt :) So I've got an appointment booked for next week with a female doctor in the practice as my doc doesn't fit them (seems like every other doc there does - I would have the one that doesn't have the training, lol!) So hopefully all will go well! xx

Good luck, I've found the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Take a few nurophen about an hour before you have it fitted. I had period type pains for a few hours after and it really helped xx

Oh now you've got me all worried:confused:

How effective is an IUD?

An IUD is 9899% effective at preventing pregnancy. Newer models that contain more copper are the most effective (over 99% effective). This means that less than one in every 100 women who use the IUD will get pregnant in a year.

worst decision i ever made!!!, i had one fitted under general and woke up and for 6 days i was in such pain i ended up goin into out of hours doctors at hospital, i was so swollen they could not see inside to remove. had it removed after infection. but, someone at work has it and loves it, so just depends on you i guess

Oh now you've got me all worried:confused:

Sorry if I've worried you, as I said, my friend can be highly fertile. She starts to get a little broody, takes no action and then she's pregnant.

Back