One SW day at a time

Gee Whizz my bottom hurts today - what are those saddles made of? PAIN - that's what. :eek: :D

It was a good 'un, I just made it up in the morning and let it slow cook all day. Here's my recipe if you fancy giving it a whirl (amounts are a bit rubbish I'm afraid because I'm a bit of a "chuck it in" sort of cook)

Beef Stifado - Serves four generously. 1.5 syns per portion (or free if using frylight)

1 x tbsp olive oil
1 x pack lean diced beef (about 450g)
About 15 baby onions or shallots, peeled but left whole
2 x BIG carrots, peeled and chopped chunkily (heh, new word)
3 x cloves of crushed garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of ground cloves
1 carton passata
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Beef stock cube

Warm the olive oil in a non stick pan and gently brown the beef - set aside. Add a dash of water to the pan to deglaze and then add the baby onions, browning them slightly. Add the chunky carrots and let them sweat off for a few minutes. Add the garlic and all the herbs and spices including the cinnamon stick and cook until fragrant (just about a minute or two), you might need to splash a little more water in there to prevent it all sticking, add the beef back in then the chopped tomatoes and passata. Fill the empty tomato tin up with water and add that as well along with the beef stock cube. Season with salt and pepper. Bring up to a good bubble and bung it all in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours and then crank it up to high for the last couple of hours if it is a bit watery.

It's even better if you prepare it all the night before and then let it sit in the fridge before putting it in the slow cooker for the day.

Sounds amazing! And surprisingly I think I have everything in for it :-O
Except the baby onions, but I want to give beef bourgignon (spelling?!) A go too which I like with baby onions and whole button mushrooms!
Thanks for sharing x

Pickled Onions!!!!! Make Pickled Onions!

Hey by the way, I have been gone a looooooong while, but I am back and so glad to see you still here, plugging away. I was sorry to hear about you and Lee, but you seem to have gotten your mojo back, Stella gets her groove and all of that.

Food is looking great, you are doing brill.

I will re-ignite my diary soon. I kinda feel like I need to give a long back story as to where I have been and what I have been doing, so I am putting it off. I may just act like I have never been gone!!!

I hope you are well, you sure seem to be doing well - 2015 seems to be your year so far!

xxxxxx

CHARLEY!!! :bighug: OMG! How are you? How lovely to see you!

I'm working at it - feel determined to shed some of this weight before the summer. It helps that my social life has calmed right down so not so much temptation.

Do get back onto your diary, I would love to see what you've been up to.

As for the pickled onions - these are a bit big for that and I've already got a couple of jars from Xmas.

So so glad you're back.

Last edited:
Thursday

I had a really good day yesterday, ate well, went to Bodypump and when I got home the baby was there! :happy036:. WI day tomorrow - I really hope I get a loss this week, I've been sooooo good and really worked hard - although these are often the weeks where it all falls over and I get a STS. I'm aching like an achy thing as well today after using the new bars at Bodypump and upping my weights - so that might well have an impact. Must stay positive!

Yesterday - Red Day

Breakfast - 2 x boiled eggs, coffee with almond milk (Half A)

Lunch - Scan bran (B) with cottage cheese, tomato and cucumber

Dinner - Salmon (2 for oil for frying), jacket potato (B) with LC Light (Half A) and salad

Snacks - Nectarine, banana

Total syns - 2

FRIDAY FEELINGS

WI Day - :scale: 3lbs off! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAH! So that's the pound I gained last week gone along with TWO of it's chubby little friends. Chuffed to bits.

Busy day at work today so I'd better be quick and get on with it.

Yesterday - Red Day

Breakfast - Weetabix (B) with banana and blueberries, coffee with almond milk (A)

Lunch - Tuna and cottage cheese salad

Dinner - Chilli and coriander prawn (1.5) stir fry with sesame seeds (B for oil and sesame seeds)

PUDDING - Oh God, so good. Pears with chocolate sauce (Choc shot - 1.5) and 2% Greek yogurt (0.5). My mum used to make a pear and chocolate pudding when I was little and I LOVED it - I wasn't expecting much out of this to be honest but it was AMAZING.

Total syns - 4.5

Weekly syns - 87.5/105

Tantalisingly close to that stone sticker.

Well done Sal! That's a cracking loss, but you earned it!
Pear pudding looks really good- is the pear raw? I'm no cooked fruit police by the way, just interested should I recreate it :)

Thank you! I did work the plan last week - red days as well...hmmmmm.

Yes the pears are raw, I get mine from Sainsbury's they do a four pack of ripe and ready to eat ones, which actually ARE ripe, juicy and delicious (Pears can be so hit and miss IMO - but I've bought these about 4 times now and never had a bad one). Peel em first and just scoop out the stalk and seeds...absolutely delish. :drool: - Oh and I used two tsps choc shot and that was more than enough.

Back