Courgette, 100 g
Onion Red, 50 grams
Chicken stock 100mls
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
chilli flakes
bay leaf
Creme Fraiche, 1 tbsp

Chop the veg. Bung everything except creme fraiche in a pot. Simmer for about 30 mins or until lentils are tender. Add creme fraiche.
This serves one person. You can add your own fav curry powder instead of cumin/coriander.

Lentils as a side dish
Simmer 40g lentils in about 250 mls chicken stock till tender. Add more chicken stock if necessary. Goes with any pork dishes.

Quinoa
Cooking quinoa takes a couple of attempts to get right but basically you treat it like rice. I prepare three portions at a time as it will keep well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
For three portions, as a side dish, I use 120g of quinoa (Tesco do quinoa now). You can use quinoa flakes too but these turn out more like semolina.
Put your 120g in a pot with twice its volume of water.
Add half of a low salt veg stock cube.
Bring to the boil and leave uncovered to simmer for about ten minutes.
Check that the pan does not go dry. Top up with a little water from a boiling kettle.
Cook the quinoa till little white bits start to appear and at this stage all the water should be absorbed.
My advice is start with less water until you get the hang of how it cooks on your hob.
I divide this into three portions. For extra flavour you could add a tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce or just a few chilli flakes which gives it a lovely kick. Another idea is to add some fresh lemon juice and plenty of black pepper.
I find quinoa a fab ingredient which can be used hot or cold and it is very filling.
If not having any other protein in the meal you can use about 75g quinoa per portion.

Chicken with Quinoa
Chicken Breast, 4oz
Celery Stalks, 1 stalks
Bell Pepper - Red, 0.25 medium
Fennel, 4 oz
tarragon
black pepper
100mls chicken stock
Slice chicken thinly.Chop veg and put it in a pot. Simmer till chicken is cooked.
Add the juice of quarter lemon and a dessert spoon of Creme Fraiche.
Toss in your cooked portion of 40g quinoa and serve.
Vary this by using 30g couscous instead. Add it at the start and increase liquid as couscous soaks up the liquid.

Salmon dinner
Bell Pepper - Red, 0.25 medium
Smoked Salmon 60 g
Quinoa, 40g
Celery Stalks, 1 stalks
Onion Red, 50 gr
Sugarsnap Peas, 100 g
Bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
black pepper
juice of half a lemon
Creme Fraiche, 1 dessertsp
Bung the veg and quinoa in a pan with 100 mls chicken stock. After 15 mins add slcied salmon, lemon juice and creme fraiche.

Lemon juice and cinnamon are both very good GL ingredients. Lemon juice reduces GL content of other foods in the dish and cinnamon is effective at breaking down fat. Vinegar is another good one, so any of these should be used when you can.

Good site for bean recipes

This is a great site for bean recipes. GL made me discover what fab foods pulses and beans are and I have them at least three times a week.
Pinto Bean Recipes - Just Bean Recipes

Molly, thank you so much for taking the time to type the recipes, they do look nice, and its good to have some ideas what to do with lentils, because except from making lentil soup, I have never used them for anything else.

Thank you very much.

Back