One year since I finished TFR!!!

irish molly

Maintaing LT loss on GL
I can hardly believe that it is a year since I finished TFR. Starting in Sept 2009 I did six months on lipotrim and lost 87 lbs in total. Towards the end of that time I found my losses slowing. I then decided to face the real world of food and also tackle the remainder of my target loss. After a lot of thought and research I decided to follow a Glycaemic Load (GL) plan and also keep an eye to total calorie content but not obsessively.
One year on and I have maintained my 87 lbs loss and, by last August, added another 29lbs bringing me to an overall loss of 116lbs. Since then I have been maintaining pretty well. Some weeks I lose a pound or two and others I stay the same and some others I will gain a couple of pounds. I have a gain if I decide to pig out a bit that week or for a couple of weeks!! It's all down to me to decide what goes in my mouth!! I can regain control through GL.
For me, maintaining is a matter of being aware of food but not being obsessive. Unless you are a stick insect (and I never have been), you just have to make sure that calories in are less than calories out, otherwise you record a gain. Food is no longer the centre of my life. I eat to live not live to eat.
The mix of foods is important as well. GL gives me a proper balance and keeps me feeling full, mostly!! The principle of GL is to maintain blood sugars at a constant level throughout the day thus avoiding sugar spikes and consequent hunger pangs.
I follow a few simple rules:
1)Almost no bread/potato/pasta or rice. I do not miss them and if I have them I have very little. So for starchy carbs I have lentils/beans/quinoa/oatcakes/rye crackers.
2)Follow the 80/20 rule. I try to be good 80% of the time and allow for being a bit piggy the other 20% of the time. When I overeat I gain, simple fact, so I have to plan for that from time to time.
3) Eating regularly. This is vital to keep blood sugars level throughout the day. I used to skip meals and then find myself ravenous later. Now I have, breakfast, lunch and dinner and allow for two small snacks as well.
4) Portion sizes. I find it a constant challenge to watch the portion sizes. A 120g of chicken or fish is TINY but it is enough. I weighed everything until I was comfortable visualizing the correct portion size.
5)Watch the snacks. I weaken some days and have too many snacks, especially late in the evening. This can be a slippery slope so I need to be very careful.
6) Keep up the water intake. I find drinking at least two litres of water every day really helps. 80% of the time we feel hungry it is,in fact, water our bodies crave.
7) Regular weighing. I feel it is important to weigh regularly and record it once a week. It is important to not obsess about this but it does serve as a reminder as to what direction I am going in and it is my choice as to what to do if I don't like what I see on the dial!
So, I will be very happy if I can maintain my weight between 170 and 180. For me, it is not realistic to go any lower. I look and feel great at a size 14 and I want to try and keep it at that.
All I can do is give it my best shot. It's all any of us can do!​

What a fabulous post! And well done on everything - inspirational! x

Thanks Vanessa xxx.

Very well done on your anniversary Molly! You have done so well since finishing TFR. The rules you follow seem like a lot of common sense, I may look into this GL more in a few months time.

Well done again and keep up the great work!

Thks Bev. Have you started your exante pack yet??

Fantastic result and fantastic posts...your loss and pics are amazing - well done and for keeping it all off and more.....I like what you wrote and sometimes we lose track of the maintenance part. Good luck to you for years to come...

Aww thank you so much for such a warm post. Good luck to you too.

Wow Molly, I'd never looked at your photos before, you look gorgeous! You always talk perfect sense too:D I think it's time for me to try GL rather than just counting calories, perhaps it'll help get rid of my last few lbs......

Incidentally, I don't know why but I'd always pictured you as older:eek: but you're deffo younger than me! X

Wow Molly you have done so well!! Just looked at your pics, its like looking at a different person, you look amazing xx

Are you a tout for GL?!!! :giggle:

Seriously Molly, well done on reaching your 1year anniversary it's such a great feeling isn't it.

Can't see your pics on here but will check them out later on :) xxx

SandraB said:
Wow Molly, I'd never looked at your photos before, you look gorgeous! You always talk perfect sense too:D I think it's time for me to try GL rather than just counting calories, perhaps it'll help get rid of my last few lbs......

Incidentally, I don't know why but I'd always pictured you as older:eek: but you're deffo younger than me! X

Lol Sandra!! I'm not quite ready for the knackers yard yet!!! I've a few chases left in me yet before they put me out to grass!!
Thanks for the lovely compliments.

RetailChick said:
Wow Molly you have done so well!! Just looked at your pics, its like looking at a different person, you look amazing xx

Thanks Emma. I feel like a different person too, better in every way. I'm back to who I was in my twenties!!!!

summergurl said:
Are you a tout for GL?!!! :giggle:

Seriously Molly, well done on reaching your 1year anniversary it's such a great feeling isn't it.

Can't see your pics on here but will check them out later on :) xxx

Tanya, yep it is great to be a year down the road from TFR and don't want to have to go there again!!!
I've tried many diets in the last ten years and GL absolutely is the best. I never ever feel deprived. For me, it has more than worked for a year now and my view is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Lol

What a wonderful inspiring post Molly :D I tried to rep you but have to spread the love first apparently.

You most definitely have cracked it girl :D

All credit to you :) xxx

Ah Jan, I don't believe anyone ever cracks maintaining. We all just have to do our best and keep at it. The day we get complacent about maintenance is the day we start to gain again. What we can hope for, imho, is that our efforts just become second nature rather than a burden or forced, if that makes sense.
thks again and have a fab time in Aussie.

One should never celebrate as it has it's consequences. As it was a year since I finished TFR my OH took me out for a lovely meal and of course wine etc. I did make healthy enough food choices so that was not too bad. I've continued being naughty since finishing with kit Kat and aero bars last night. Scales are up 2lbs this morning so I will have to rein in for the rest of the week.

What a lovely, informative, and well written post Molly.

Do you know, I had never looked at your profile before, and your pics are amazing. The GL definitely works for you, and its something that I have looked at in the past, asked a few questions about in the past, but never done anything with it.

Could you give me a few daily menu's just to have a look at what you do with lentils instead of rice/potatoes etc?

I too tried to rep you, but I have to spread it about a bit first - what a way with words eh!

Congratulations on your year of maintaining and I dont need to wish you good luck for your second year, because you have succeeded so well, I know you will never go back to the old Molly. Enjoy your 20 somethings again girl, and long may it continue.

Ah Mary, what a lovely reply and thank you for your kind words. I'll post a few of my recipes when next at a pc.

Just seen your pics Molly, they are incredible!! What an amazing transformation :)

Back