onions

traceya89

i bought at massive sackful of onions at a fruit shop for £1.50!!! now i really need to think of some good onion recipes to get rid of them. anyone got any ideas???

Er, I put onion in EVERYTHING. Every night! Its just the basic base for pretty much anything in the known universe! :D

Er, I put onion in EVERYTHING. Every night! Its just the basic base for pretty much anything in the known universe! :D

I'm exactly the same...I actually couldn't live without onions...I put them in everything (well, apart from desserts :))!!

You could make a curry (using a SW recipe) and somewhere on here I found a recipe to make syn-free onion bahjiis!

Soup is also a great one for using up lots.

I also use a few in italian dishes like Spag Bol!

Good job they're SuperFree and Speedy! :D

Heh I was only saying yesterday to the OH how the hell did humans end up eating onions? :confused: With all the stinging eyes and watery nose your body is TELLING you to LEAVE THEM ALONE! Did we ever eat these cos we LIKED them? :eek: :D

Yeah, usually chop 2 or 3 onions and a few garlic cloves, sometimes a bit of grated ginger and fry that for a few min til softening. Thats the base for everything - curries, chillies, stews, casseroles, bolognese, soup, you name it.
Then depending what youre making, chuck in spices, tin of tomatoes, stock, puree, chillies, herbs, then youve got your main base and just thrown in the meat/veg of your choice. Simples :)

Yeah the onion bhaji is nice.
Or you could caramelise a few and do them with jackets or sausages or whatever, yummy.
Onion soup?
Onion chutney/marmalade?

chop finely, lay out on a baking tray, cover with clingfilm and freeze. then when frozen, break up into a bag or a box and keep in the freezer. bobs yer uncle: emergency onions!

Back