ONLY 1lb!!!

I am posting as someone who have had big losses every week since joining sw.
Last week I lost 1lb, this week 1.5 lb and i've got to admit that altho' it's nice to have big losses, I am glad that it's finally slowing down.
I felt in competition with myself to have a "good" loss every week, but that pressure has now gone, and i'm delighted to have "only" (sorry for the only, Taz!) 1lb losses.

Reactions: Taz
I was disappointed with a half a pound loss in my first week.

For 8 years I have been on a strict medical diet to avoid high levels of chronic pain. This diet has led to insulin resistance and mild malnutrition. In order to not get diabetes or similar soon I needed to change my diet and the doctor advised SW.

I am making a very big effort to eat the foods that hurt me, and as a result my pain levels have increased and it is difficult to cope with. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, diabetes or chronic pain.

A half pound loss, though still good, was hard to take when I suffered to get it. Hopefully I will manage a whole pound this week, and my body will cope with new foods more.:)

I was disappointed with a half a pound loss in my first week.

For 8 years I have been on a strict medical diet to avoid high levels of chronic pain. This diet has led to insulin resistance and mild malnutrition. In order to not get diabetes or similar soon I needed to change my diet and the doctor advised SW.

I am making a very big effort to eat the foods that hurt me, and as a result my pain levels have increased and it is difficult to cope with. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, diabetes or chronic pain.

A half pound loss, though still good, was hard to take when I suffered to get it. Hopefully I will manage a whole pound this week, and my body will cope with new foods more.:)
That sounds like a really tough situation hun. What causes the pain? Can they not give you anything for it? Why do you have to eat the foods that cause you pain?

Quite often if you go from another diet to SW you wont have a great loss in the first week as the shift in intake isn't too great. The biggest losses are those who go from a very bad diet and completely change

I have an auto immune bladder disease that causes the bladder lining to disintegrate, leaving the bladder an open wound. It's currently incurable, I take pain meds and have treatment at the hospital once a month, but the most we can do is try and keep the pain at a background level.

I have had to avoid foods that irritate my bladder, these are strong tasting or acidic foods mainly (fruit, tomatoes, spices etc), but I also react badly to wheat bran, milk powder and artificial sweeteners. I lived pretty much on refined carbohydrates, white bread, potatoes and sugar and forgot how to eat healthily (asked for help three times from nutritionists, they said to carry on as I was as I gradually developed malnutrition). I ate mostly food that was coloured beige.

If I don't eat my trigger foods on the SW diet then I would get seriously bored of eating, nothing would have any flavour. My doctor keeps harping on at me that I HAVE to lose weight, so I have to put up with it until I figure things out a bit better. :)

Wow that really is a tough one. I feel for you hun, I think sometimes we take our health for granted and seeing what you have to go through really makes me think about what I do to myself! ((((Hugs))))

Taz,

I can see were you're coming from, BUT at the same time, it's ok to feel disappointed at that when you have worked so hard. True, it's a long process, true that it's still a loss...BUT coming on here and whinging about that loss helps to stop a downward spiral of disappointment. I did it yesterday when I was disappointed with half a pound, and it was the support I got from the other SW's that made me rethink things.

Everytime I see a post such as the one that winds you up, I like to offer support to those people cos we have all been there and understand their frustration. Isn't that what minimins is about?

K x

Of course it is! I have been there more than most and I totally understand how it can be disappointing to get a lesser result than you hope for. As I posted earlier, I am not saying people can't or shouldn't whinge, I just wanted to point out what that 1lb actually does!

I do understand where you're coming from and I read the other posts in the thread too, so I get what you mean. I suppose I would just hate to think that someone, on first sight, would be discouraged from sharing their disappointment. It's that sharing that spurs us along. I can see that you were trying to motivate others and look on the positive.

As much as I shall try not to be disappointed with myself again cos I know that a loss is a loss and I should be happy with that, I can't guarantee I won't whinge again....so be prepared Taz lol :D

K xx

Ooooh don't know how I missed this thread!!!

Think the arguements have been put very well both ways.

Have to say that I've very rarely been disappointed with 1lb off, as long as it's off that's what counts for me. Although the challenge now is to avoid the on work!!! LOL

I do understand where you're coming from and I read the other posts in the thread too, so I get what you mean. I suppose I would just hate to think that someone, on first sight, would be discouraged from sharing their disappointment. It's that sharing that spurs us along. I can see that you were trying to motivate others and look on the positive.

As much as I shall try not to be disappointed with myself again cos I know that a loss is a loss and I should be happy with that, I can't guarantee I won't whinge again....so be prepared Taz lol :D

K xx
Whinge away hun. If there are any posts that I feel I can't contribute to then I don't add to them. I just saw quite a few (admittedly some may not have been SW threads) of the said posts and rather than answer all individually I put it in a separate thread.

As someone who is lucky to lose 1lb a week, yes, it does bother me a little when people aren't happy with a 1lb loss but I do also understand that it can be disheartening when you don't get the loss you were expecting.

Celebrate all losses and learn from all gains. This is a long journey, enjoy the ride x

Back