only allowed 10 syns

sharon09

i started back at slimming world this week and my consultant has put me on EE and said i can have 10 syns aday and tbh im struggling with only having 10 :confused:

I'm 5ft 2ins, & had just over 1 stone to lose. I have always used my 15 syns per day. I've now got just 3lbs to go to target & will continue to use my 15 syns. I mainly use them on wine & chocs & tbh if I had to cut down on the wine I'd be a bit fed up. I usually have 1 small glass (3.5 syns) mid week & more with chocs at the weekend.

SW does say you can have up to 15 syns per day, if I were you thats what I'd have :D

The official SW advice is to have between 5 and 15 syns a day although consultant can advise people to have more than 15 if they they think it appropriate.

A few years ago the standard was that people should work to 10 syns a day and some consultants still give this advice. It was this way when I joined and I only ever worked to 10 a day. If you feel that you need to have 15 a day and you continue to lose weight at an acceptable rate then go for 15.

But perhaps you should also look at why you are struggling on 10 a day, it may be that you feel you have to use syns because you are not eating enough free and particularly superfree foods. I suggest you post your food diary in the sub-forum so we can offer some advice.

my SW consultant also told me 10 when i started a couple of weeks ago. i'm getting much better at working to it, as its forcing me to eat more free foods. and i save my syns for things i really want like crisps and choc!

Hi, I was also told to stick to 10 syns when I first joined SW, and was to monitor how I got on with it...and what my losses were like. To determin what was the best number for me...and I have just stuck with it :)

My consultant always recommends having up to 15 syns. She never seems to vary it for weight, height or gender.

My consultant told me to allow up to 20 as I have so much to lose but the last few consultants I've had have told people to use as many of the 15 as they want and to vary what they're having x

I have 15 at the moment and it's fine, I never use all of them anyway! I'll probably cut them down as time goes on and if my weight loss starts to slow down a bit!

ps. This is quite off topic, but suepat10, does "I'm one of the 63336" mean you work for them?? I've ALWAYS wanted to work for them, but on their website it says they dont have any UK vacancies :(

We weigh a similar amount. I always have 15 and it works. Have 15 and see how you get on, if you don't lose then drop back to 10. Too little Syns can be just as bad as too many!

My consultant also advises 15 to everyone

I think eating syns is the reason I can stick to SW. It gives me the flexibility I need

I've always had 15 until this year. The only time I cut down was the last couple of weeks of approaching target when I reduced to 5, never less.

This year my consultant has been recommending 10 syns to all of us. She does say though, that 5 - 15 syns is allowed and it's not a problem if you go up to 15, they just recommend 10.

Lets face it, 5 syns = 100 cals = 700 cals a week. You need }+/-3500 cals to gain/lose a pound so it's not going to make that much difference as long as you do everything else correctly!!

I think the 5 syns deficit makes up for those "little bits" many people forget to count!!

Lets face it, 5 syns = 100 cals = 700 cals a week. You need }+/-3500 cals to gain/lose a pound so it's not going to make that much difference as long as you do everything else correctly!!

I think the 5 syns deficit makes up for those "little bits" many people forget to count!!
oooh Jaylou- you always speak such sense!

Perfect explaination and rationale- wish it would let me rep you
xxxx

I agree with Jay Lou! I am for 10 (which I normally stick to!) but at least you have lee way then if you're having to "guestimate" syn values on nights out and things x

Back