OT festival disaster!!

icklerockchick

slow but steady!
Had been looking forward to Leeds festival for a while, festivals tend to be really pricey - ticket plus travel costs over 200quid and then everythings really rediculously overpriced once there. 2pound for 500ml bottle of water lol!!

This was my second festival this summer had already been to Download in June so meant festivals instead of a holiday for me this year! And leeds was a total DISASTER has totally put me off going to festivals for a while :cry:

It was full of school children all drunk and on drugs and causing chaos! The arena where the bands are during the day was fine but the campsite we were in was a riot! On the saturday night someone jumped on our tent and broke it, luckily I was in my friends tent at the time so not injured. Tape it back together and it just about looks like it will hold. Gets really cold and its getting late so head in to go to bed. Then ANOTHER idiot jumps on our tent while we are in it, landing on us and breaking the tent again! :mad:

Speak to security and the welfare people who are all really nice and helpful but sadly very very busy constantly breaking up fights and such. They find us a tent that got left behind from someone who got evicted and we are about to set it up in a different spot in same campsite, but just as they are helping us loads of fights break out in that area and we decide we would be better off staying in the welfare tent so we cart all our belongings up there.

So what is the welfare tent? Basically all the people they find passed out around the site are brought here. And if first aid doesn't think they need an ambulance this is where they spend the night. I would say NOONE in there was over 18. Most had just got too drunk and passed out, some had taken drugs and were freaking out (one girl stayed up all night hyper ventilating, crying and repeating i am scared and i don't know where i am ALL NIGHT LONG). My boyfriend got no sleep I managed an hour at about 5am. Basically we knew we couldn't do that for another night. This was only 6am on the Sunday morning and our bus wasn't leaving til 11am on the Monday. So we paid to get the bus into Leeds city centre and managed to get our bus tickets transferred to a bus that day instead. Missed out a whole day of the festival because some people were hellbent on ruining it for everyone else :( such a shame!

Sorry for the rant!

On the plus side I ate all the wrong food all weekend and plenty booze and managed to STS :)

Going to complain to the organisers see what they have to say! There was defo not enough security staff and a lot of people seemed to buy day tickets (you get a different coloured wristband) and there was NO wristband checks going back into the campsite so basically people could buy day tickets then get into the campsite and cause havoc all weekend! At least there is wristband checks going into the arena so they can't get back in there but I think its almost worse that they can roam about the campsite breaking into peoples tents and stealing stuff while they are away enjoying the bands!

x

Awww Hun, that sounds like a right shambles and Im sory to hear that it has ruined your experience.

Its for that reason that I tend to stay away from things like this (well that and the fact that at 33 I would be considered ancient!).
Well done on STS same though, especially after that fiasco!

xxxx

Lol yeh i felt pretty old there this year and I am 23 lol! Normally the atmosphere at festivals is amazing everyones just there for a good time and to see some bands :)

X

Oh what a shame that you had such a rotten weekend, it sounds as if these festival's need more security measures all round.

But, I am so pleased that you STS, so well done for that. X

This is why I've avoided festivals so far in my life. I am a bit fussy at the best of times regarding cleanliness and what not so not my scene, but it's the out of control people that would put me off. EDIT Not suggesting you're not! Just I'm a bit too picky about some stuff lol!

Sorry you've had less fun than hoped - it's not nice considering it's something you've looked forward too and paid a lot for! My mate said she got covered in wee when someone threw a bottle of it - EUGH!

Well done on STS! Go you! xxx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your awful time at Leeds.
My son has just returned from Leeds yesterday 1st time going for him - he said he had a great time seeing bands etc but his tent got broken by some idiot jumping on it on Friday (had to manage with it as best as he could) and then Sunday it got burned. Fortunately he had taken his stuff out. He said a gang of around 20 lads was just picking tents up and chucking them on the fire. Security didnt do anything. I was just glad he had enjoyed it and thankful he came back home safe.

Sorry to hear about your awful time at Leeds.
My son has just returned from Leeds yesterday 1st time going for him - he said he had a great time seeing bands etc but his tent got broken by some idiot jumping on it on Friday (had to manage with it as best as he could) and then Sunday it got burned. Fortunately he had taken his stuff out. He said a gang of around 20 lads was just picking tents up and chucking them on the fire. Security didnt do anything. I was just glad he had enjoyed it and thankful he came back home safe.

Glad he enjoyed it I have been before and also been to other festivals but this one just had so much more trouble than I have ever seen before. The bands were great but safety and security were really poor this year.

x

I can't believe that the festival organisers weren't ready for this! The same thing happened last year - I've just seen a video on youtube of the last night at Reading in the campsite and it is hideous, makes me feel really sad that such a great event is ruined by some rent-a-mob lunacy. We had the same trouble at the Isle of Wight festival this year, really put us on edge.

I went to Reading just for the Friday and am so glad I didn't stay the whole weekend....aside from the trouble, if you felt old at 23 imagine how I felt at 38!! I could have been the mother of most of the people there!!

OH - MY - GOD

I am shocked!! Ive been toying with the idea of going to a "big" festival some time soon. I dont know if you remember but i went to a smaller festival called Y NOT and NOTHING like this happened, a few people had campfires that got put out, but no fighting, throwing wee, burning and breaking tents and no drugs to my knowledge (apart from the occasional smell of weed from the happy hippes!) Just a good laugh and band watching. This has really put me of bothering with the larger ones, they seem over priced, over crowded and now they seem dangerous!!

Im going to stick with my smaller ones...Im realy sorry you had a bad time :( But congrats for the STS!! xx

Aww hun sounds like a nightmare. I have a freind whos a complete festival nut and will pretty much put up with anything but hasnt been to Leeds festival for years. She says its stopped being about the bands there and has just turned in to an underage drink and drugsathon.

Awe thats such a shame, we don't go to big festivals but have been to big bike rallies and never had any trouble and was actually thinking of trying a festival at some point but maybe we will just keep going to the bike rallies and listen to the bands there lol. Safer with a bunch of hairy bikers me thinks than a buch of young drunk, drugged up louts haha

Thanks people and sorry for the rant was just quite pissed off that idiots had ruined what should have been a really nice weekend!

Still recommend download festival if that kind of music is your cup of tea! Much better organisation (despite the fact I am pretty sure its festival republic that are in charge of both bizarrely) and just a much better atmosphere with people that are there to see bands and have a good weekend not go around causing trouble!

Know some people who go and don't experience trouble maybe I was just in a really bad part of the campsite this year because I saw it happening everywhere, on the first night my other half got punched in the face for no reason on the way to the toilet like WTF!

X

Awe thats such a shame, we don't go to big festivals but have been to big bike rallies and never had any trouble and was actually thinking of trying a festival at some point but maybe we will just keep going to the bike rallies and listen to the bands there lol. Safer with a bunch of hairy bikers me thinks than a buch of young drunk, drugged up louts haha

so true, have taken my kids to a couple of rallies but i wouldnt take them to a festival.

Sorry you had such a bad time tho icklerockchick, thats awful when you've paid so much and really looked forward to something.

Back