(OT) Wedding help

I will succeed!!!
What would you recommend is a decent time to get a wedding dress picked out before a wedding, assuming I might have to get it sooner than hittin target (so might need adjusting?).

I'll explain when we have all the info, but we might be booking a wedding for next year (year earlier than we thought) and a friend's just scared me to death saying I need the dress yesterday ;)

Thanks in advance xxxx

P.S Called a local bridal shop who vaguely said 'asap' no matter how long you have between then and wedding - sigh

Firstly dont panic! Take yourself off to a bridal shop, try on a dress that you love, in the size you are now. All good bridal shops will have a list of woman that can alter your dress.
Call them and within this time, your dress can be altered to suit you both.
Mine took me 10 months in total from dress to altering as I lost 4 1/2 stone. It actually got to the stage where the dressmaker begged me not to loose any more weight as my dress would be ruined!

Now thats a good motivator if ever there was one. I agree with other post, try dress on in size now and get in touch with a good dressmaker asap. The woman who made my daughters prom dress had just had a wedding dress dropped off for altering the day we picked up Charlottes prom dress and dressmaker only had a week to do the alterations and fittings. She was bricking it cos of the time limit, but I dare say it was finished in time but a bit stressfull all round I would imagine.

depends on if you want off the shelf like bhs or a dress from a wedding shop, or else you can find a local dressmaker, my mam made mine to me design, I loved it and still do 9 years on. Shops take a age and charge for every alteration. My dress took 5 weeks to make, so if you booked in with a dress maker she would take your measurements look for styles you like you then choose your fabric A cotton mock up would be made then the dress last of all (some don't make a mock up).

Oh just realised you are a inch taller than me and have roughly the same goal weight :)

Last edited:
depends on your dress I guess - one of my friends ordered a made to measure one from ebay (beautiful might I add and only £300) 6 weeks before the wedding! :)

hey hunny.

Firstly, get out there and enjoy the time you have to wander around and expierance trying on loads of different dresses! hands down i think thats the best bit leading up to it all..

you have enough weight to make a big difference to your body, but not stones and stones so dont panic, but i suggest you do get stuck in sooner rather than later, plus you'l feel out what sort of dress you feel comfortable and feel most beautiful in (which im sure will be every dress, but you want THE dress for the day :) )

Go out, get looking.. and if you find your dress that'd great. . most wedding shops will have a local woman who they go to for alterations.. my mother got hers from debenhams and they gave us a number of a woman who they gave all thier buisness to and she was lovely, worked in her own home and took all of 3 days to do.

i suggest if and when you do find the dress.. which will happen when it happens.. just get in touch with someone, explain and they will give you thier opinion on when would be best to start taking a look at how much to take it in etc. you dont wanna keep taking it in and taking it in.. leave it as late as possible and take it in within enough time not to panic, but late enough that you wont lose too much after the final alteration.. thus less potential damage to your dress.

dont panic, enjoy! x

Thanks girls. Well, I've bit the bullet and booked in one trying on session in a boutique in the city near me for the 22nd August. Mum is visiting then and inviting OH's Mum too :)I'm a size 12 atm but a small 12 (if that makes sense) so I agree the changes won't be drastic. I spoke to a different shop (the one I'm going to visit) and she was so much more helpful than the other one. She said to not worry and that a 12-10 change isn't much. Plus, she said even if I was an 8 in normal clothes a 10 in a wedding gown would probably be how it worked anyway.So feeling happier now after the panic this morning. Looking forwards to it actually. I'm happier with shape now anyway so it should be a good day.Plus, she stocks gowns ranging from £300 - £2000 so it suits all budgets which is good. Checked in case it was one of those places where they start at a £1000!!! Gah! Off to see another venue on Saturday too - so the bigger things are moving. The only down side is I'd hoped for a Spring wedding and it might now be Autumn/Winter, but everything happens for a reason and it'll work out for the best regardless :)Thanks again xxxx

How exciting!!! I love it that you're bringing the wedding forward :D

I am also v jealous that you're a small 12 and you're the same weight as me and only an inch taller *sobs* ;)

Anyway, back to dresses, this is about you not me!! As Fern said, you should definitely get out there and try loads and loads on. Don't have any pre-concieved ideas of what your dress will be like. Open mind and just try...you'll be so amazed at what suits you.
You've not got heaps to lose so it's not like your body shape will change dramatically - what suits you now will still look gorgeous at your target weight.

Don't be surprised if the label in the dress you buy is a 12, 14, or even 16! Wedding dresses are sized very differently to normal frocks in shops. They've got much smaller size intervals as they're more made to measure (usually) and so there's less adjustment needed (usually). You'll be measured when you order and most manufacturers have different size charts. Just to prepare you!

Oh, and also, the shops will all have wildly different sample size dresses. Some shops I went in had all size 10s, some had a range from 6 to 26...it will vary. It's sometimes hard to visualise how a dress is going to look on you if it's way too big or too small. They will obviously pin you into it as best they can, but sometimes you need a bit of imagination and vision to work out how it will look on you.

Don't worry about autumn wedding - I had mine in September and it was glorious. I had a spring divorce instead! LOL! Off-peak weddings are also cheaper at venues.

How super, super exciting! There are SO many nice dress shops around. If you want any help, let me know, as I know lots of the good shops. Ok, so it might be a bit far for you to come down towards Preston, lol, but there are some a-ma-zing dresses in some of the boutique shops round here.

Last edited:
Awww thanks Hellie - don't joke either...I might be heading to Manchester area to visit some bigger shops so you may just RUE the day!!!

LOL xx

I ended up going into 3 shops and went back to the first dress I tried on!

Its true when they say you just get that "wow this is the one" dress when you try it on!

So exciting!!!! I love weddings and all the preparation that goes with it.
Mine was a doddle...we got married in Church in Cyprus, so everything was arranged before we got there..I still chose colour themes etc and it cost 1/3 of the price of a wedding here!

You guys are the best :)

I've booked a second 'try on' with another store for later that same day - and when looking on their website (and the lines they carry) and a dress I love is called...CHRISTINA!! Me!!! I have to try it on if they stock it now lol.

:D :D

I am getting married next May and bought my dress 3 weeks ago. It is due to come in to the shop the end of January. So, please don't fret!!!

Have you any idea what sort of dress you want? I knew roughly but tried on a really wide range of styles as I wanted to make sure I was chosing the right one.

Enjoy the trying on, I loved it. I felt like an absolute princess!

Let us know how you got on!

I am getting married next May and bought my dress 3 weeks ago. It is due to come in to the shop the end of January. So, please don't fret!!!

Have you any idea what sort of dress you want? I knew roughly but tried on a really wide range of styles as I wanted to make sure I was chosing the right one.

Enjoy the trying on, I loved it. I felt like an absolute princess!

Let us know how you got on!

Thanks Gem -

Got an idea but not going to just try that style on - going to try a range and see what looks best.

I am currently drooling over Maggie Sottero gowns but they look pricey! LOL!

ATM want to aim for 'Audrey Hepburn' esque style. Thinking simple classic :)

I've gone from stressed to excited in 8 hours due to sudden changes in plans...but yay!

xx

You should be excited!! It is amazing.

I was amazed how different my figure looked in the dress. My mum was trying to get out of me whether the dress was "the one" and all I kept saying was "Look at how small my waist looks!" but I really did just 'know' when I had the dress on. The fact I refused to take it off was a sign!!

Really do enjoy it.

And although you are now worrying that time is not on your side do not feel you have to make your mind up straight away, it is a big decision. I tried it on and then went away to think about it but it was literally all I thought about so I knew.

You could post some pics on here so that we can have a look too!!

Awww thanks Hellie - don't joke either...I might be heading to Manchester area to visit some bigger shops so you may just RUE the day!!!

LOL xx

If you do, let me know. I would LOVE to help!!! LOVE IT!!!:D

As you might be able to guess I am going to be no help with regard to wedding dresses, dresses in general really. But all I will say is, although black is flattering might not be the best colour choice! ;)

Natt xxx

i just want to say that i hope you have fun shopping for it:)
im getting so excited just reading about it so please once you have picked post a picture for all of us who dont have a love life.
im a little too young to be getting married(only 18!) but i just love weddings.i cant wait till mine.
just need a groom now.......haha

Back