Other parents at school!!!! Need a vent and advice

donna88

Gold Member
Going to try and cut a long story short but really want to get all the information in as well.

My little boy goes to a school nursery, he has a best friend there who a few months ago he was inseparable from he's better now and does play with other boys and girls but they still play a lot together and talk about each other loads at school.

Anyway a while ago another boy started playing with his friend, my little boy didn't like it and they had a few arguments over it.

One day I picked up my little one and the other boy and his mum were behind us, as we were walking she said ''has anyone been spiteful to you today?'' he said no, but another mum said ''is someone being horrible to him?'' she then whispered something and as I turned around I could swear she was gesturing towards my little boy.

That obviously really upset me, one I was shocked that she would call any 3 or 4 year old spiteful, but also I didn't like how it appeared she was slagging my little one off to other mums. I spoke to the teachers the next day, I didn't give names but I asked if he was having any problems being nasty to any of the children, I told them I'd overheard one of the mums saying something. They did say he had hit someone the other day and he'd been told off for it, but they asked if it was a little boy or little girls mum and when I said boy they were shocked and said no it was a little girl and they'd not had problems before that incident or after but that they'd make sure they'd tell me if anything happened again.

Anyway since then my little one has played fine with the other little boy, when I drop them off in the morning they talk to each other and run around and play. He wants to invite him to his Birthday party, which up until this week I was happy about.

The other day I dropped him off, he was talking to that little boy again but when they went inside his mum dragged him off, my little one took his coat off as normal and went off to find the little boy, he then asked if he wanted to be his friend today, to which the little boy replied ''you pick on me'' he repeated this a couple of times and walked off leaving my little one in tears. I cuddled him and told him not to worry about it, when his ''best'' friend walked in the started playing together and I said goodbye gave him a kiss and told him not to let anyone upset him, to which I got his usual reply ''why?''

I really don't know what to do though, I'm pretty positive that this little boys mum is saying things about my boy and telling her little one not to play with him, if I tell mine not to play with him as well, he will ask why? he'll also get upset, so I could tell him not to play with him but then what do I say when he asked why?

Should I speak to his teachers? The only thing with that is there isn't really much they can do can they? plus I've never actually heard her say anything directly about my little one even though its clear to me that's what she's doing!

Or do I just leave it, luckily (I feel horrible saying this as he's a lovely little one) the other little boy isn't staying at that school, so its only going to be a problem until the 6 weeks holidays, do I just leave it and not invite him to my little ones party (we're having it at home so I can't invite the whole class anyway so it won't be like he's being singled out) but how do I explain not inviting him to my boy?

Then of course there's the other option of speaking to his mum, but I have no idea what I'd say. Plus I'm bad at things like that, I went round to my neighbours the other night to ask them to turn their music down and I was shaking by the time they answered the door :/

I just don't understand how an adult can be so against a child, at the beginning of the year another little one hit my little boy a couple of times, so I told him not to play with him. But then my little one started saying how that little boy was bad, he even walked off a couple of times when the little boy started playing with something he was playing with, saying he's a bad boy. So I had words with him and told him he wasn't bad and that its wrong to treat him like that, I encouraged him to play with him...unless he hit him again, and told him that he wasn't to tell that little one or any others that he was a bad boy.

To be honest, and I may be going against what most people think, I would leave it.

I've never got involved in anything like that with my daughter, and it has happened. It happens at all schools and with all kids. Kids are very fickle, they change friends as often as they change pants (well most of them!) and they fall out for trivial little things.

The thing is, you are not certain what the mothers are saying or that they were gesturing towards you, which can be a problem - I suspect if you say anything the mothers will say you are being silly and then they will gossip about you.

Teachers really can't do an awful lot, they can't make kids be friends or play together but they can look out for bullying, which is very different from kids not playing nicely.

Kids, no matter how old, need to learn that not everyone in this world is nice and they can be very spiteful at 4 years old.

It's up to you of course, but I'd leave it alone, offer support to your son, tell him that there are many different kinds of children and that if that boy doesn't want to be his friend, he's not worth it.

I agree with you and I think it's probably what I will do, I understand that kids are fickle I think my problem with this situation is its not the kids falling out or not wanting to be friends, they actually get on really well now. The problem is his mum sticking her nose in and telling her little one not to play with mine, which to be honest I'd be fine with that if he just listened to her and didn't play with him, but they do want to play together so he will play with him and then stop for a moment when his mum tells him to (I'd put money on the fact that they'll play together today while we're not there)

I also don't like the thought that she's saying things to other mums about my little one. I don't want them all thinking he's not a nice boy.

I quite agree. Some parents are quite oblivious to the fact that their own children are less than perfect and wont hear a word said against them, which is unfortunate and unrealistic. In her mind, it will be ENTIRELY your boys fault, and theres no point telling her otherwise because her kid is an absolute perfect angel and that "nasty spiteful" boy will be the one at fault.

Fact is, Kids do get into mischief, they do get jealous of friendships that they aren't involved with and they do get possessive over their friends attention and time. The jostling and arguments are just their way of beginning to sort out the skills they need to form meaningful relationships through play. Most kids that age dont play together, they play alongside one another with the same things, and are only barely just beginning to learn about sharing and co-operating.

Just let it lie. Six weeks from now it will be done dusted and a thing of the past.

Thank you, I do agree to be honest. I just hope nothing else happens before this 6 weeks is up, as it does hurt me to see him getting upset because of what an adult is doing. I don't mind him having fall outs with other children as I know this happens. I'm too sensitive I know, but I can't help it.

What would you suggest about his Birthday party, should I avoid inviting that boy? (to be honest on top of all this I'd prefer to invite more children that are going to be stopping at the same school anyway as these are the children he'll be with next year)

^^ that. It also gives the message that you arent a monster with a devil child to the mum who thinks you are and hasnt got the cahoonas to come talk to you about the situation. Just be super nice and sweet and invite him anyway!

Thank you both :)
I feel much better about the situation now, I appreciate you listening (well reading lol) to my rant. Just got myself really wound up about the whole thing

Its easy done. You just want your kids to be happy in school and get on with everyone, and the bottom line is.. .well, some of the time they will, and some of the time they wont. But it is hard to see, and also to let them have the freedom to learn, even when its a painful lesson.

Showing your son the mature way to handle these sorts of situations will be a lesson that he finds invaluable for the rest of his life. I have a lot of similar issues with my youngest, but she has additional social communication issues and finds it super-hard to take rejection because she just wants to be friends with everyone and doesn't understand that they dont always want to play with her. Breaks my heart to see her upset about it, because it is just black and white to her, everyone should be friends and kind to each other, and hits her very hard when that isnt the case.

Back