Other people and their attitudes.

Caledonia

Hello everyone,

Thanx for the warm welcome on my return. :)

I have been looking back to see where I went wrong and hopefully do better this time.

I was wondering....

Quite a few people became negative - "is it healthy" "you cant live without potatoes" "oh i am sorry there was sugar in that"

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone suggest how to deal with it?

Personally if the subject is brought up i tell people i'm low carbing rather than atkins as somehow people find the term more acceptable. If someone has got a bone to pick with me doing this then i basically tell them where to go as it's my body n i'll do what the h3ll i want with it. I do know that this can be hard though at times. Generally people only comment as either 1. they're jealous, or 2. they don't really understand what it is all about. So if it's 1. tell em to sod off, if it's number 2. i try to educate them and you'd be surprised at how some people them leave you alone once they understand a little more about it.

wot ^ said

Ive recently started Atkins too and posted a thread almost identical to yours a few weeks ago because I was truly shocked by my colleagues hostile reaction to this diet. Told me i'd have a heart attack by Christmas. :eek::eek::eek:

Ive tried to convince them but cannot change their mindset, so we've agreed to disagree on the subject. I guess time will tell and they can watch me shrink week by week, have twice as much energy, enjoy the variety of food, while they continue to count 'points', be as miserable as sin, eat almost nothing, and lose half a pound each week for their efforts!!

Most folks on here tell people they are 'low carbing' to avoid the word Atkins completey in order to spare themselves a health lecture of the ill informed.

Ignore them and the best of luck to you x

I agree "lo carb" seems to be easier with less reaction. Also if people hassle on health aspect of it, I point out that if I dont get my weight down then health is shot anyway!

I never tell people I'm on a diet ;)

I tell everyone i'm doing Atkins. I don't get many negative reactions but if I do i'll happily stand there and argue with them answering all their questions until they run out of things to say.

Two good points:

1) Cavemen didn't eat potatoes! They ate meat, fish, nuts, seeds, berries and some green veg

2) There is no such thing as an essential carb, but there are essential fats and amino acids!

Last edited:
I tell everyone i'm doing Atkins. I don't get many negative reactions but if I do i'll happily stand there and argue with them answering all their questions until they run out of things to say.

Two good points:

1) Cavemen didn't eat potatoes! They ate meat, nuts, seeds, berries and some green veg

2) There is no such thing as an essential carb, but there are essential fats and amino acids!

Thats a good one James, im going to remember that!

I just say low carb, but its weird when my daughter asks why I eat cheese " which is very fatty" when im on a diet! its hard to explain to a 10yr old! :)

Back