out of date shakes

ShedMasterZero

was DeepThought
I'm sure other people have had the shakes when they have gone passed the date on the pack and I'm just wondering who holds the recorded for the most out of date pack used? :D

But seriously, if anyone can let me know how far past the date and if they were okay, it would be very much appreciated. If you don't want to admit it on the thread, please PM me.

I know it's not advisable to do it, because of the nutrients diminishing etc, but I don't really have any choice.

If it was just a week or so I wouldnt worry, if it was months past then Im not sure Id risk it. Ive had a few bars that were a few weeks out of date

I've got 2 months worth that are dated for next month, so I'll be using them up to a month out of date. Can't afford to pay £100 to replace them, so I'll just have to carry on.

It's a shame I can't exchange them with someone who will use them before the expiry date.

I also thought about sticking them on eBay for £80, but not sure if they'll sell or not.

I'm sure they will be fine, things like this don't just go off overnight, and when they set the dates they build in 'wiggle room' as they have to be able to guarantee the quality up until that time and they don't want to land themselves in trouble. The quality will deteriorate over quite some time, at least 6 months + for this kind of thing. Personally, i'd still use them up to 2 to 3 months and even 1 year later you'd probably be surprised at nutritionally how good they still were. You can always add a multivitamin if you are worried about getting all your vitamins/minerals.

If it says best before they're fine till whenever if they say use buy they have to be used by that date or they're not edible x

I'm sure they will be fine, things like this don't just go off overnight, and when they set the dates they build in 'wiggle room' as they have to be able to guarantee the quality up until that time and they don't want to land themselves in trouble. The quality will deteriorate over quite some time, at least 6 months + for this kind of thing. Personally, i'd still use them up to 2 to 3 months and even 1 year later you'd probably be surprised at nutritionally how good they still were. You can always add a multivitamin if you are worried about getting all your vitamins/minerals.

Thanks, this is a very re-assuring post. :)

If it says best before they're fine till whenever if they say use buy they have to be used by that date or they're not edible x

Exante just have a date, no "best before" or "use by". So after losingit's post, I think it's just a safe date - probably somewhere in the middle of its "good" life.

At the end of the day, the soups and shakes should good for sometime after the date on them as they are in powder (dry) form. The bars on the other-hand might not be as good. :D

At the end of the day, the soups and shakes should good for sometime after the date on them as they are in powder (dry) form. The bars on the other-hand might not be as good. :D

I had 3 bars which were date for 17/01/11. I almost threw them away, but I tried one last week and it seemed fine. :eek:

The only thing I wondered about the shakes is that a while back I noticed saw discussions about the milk powder in the Cambridge shakes going rancid. But maybe it was a bad batch or possibly because they just weren't stored very well.

That is probably why :)

It's important to store dried stuff like this away from sunlight and in a dry cupboard. Then even if you eat it quite some time after sell by you probably won't notice a thing. Light and heat encourages nutrients to break down quicker and makes the flavour pretty bland/not so good although it won't hurt you to eat- which is why a lot of dried snacks (crisps, etc) tell you to store them in a certain way. There are some things you just shouldn't eat out of date (mostly stuff that you have to store in your fridge) but dried stuff, canned stuff, etc is all good. We had some cans from my grandmother that were 6 years out of date, still all good and yummy, hehe.

They have been stored in my converted garage in the boxes they came in. It is generally the coolest part of the house and gets no sunlight at all.

The 3 bars I had in one of the boxes are fine (5 months after their date) so I'm sure the shakes will be fine for a couple of months.

Thanks very much losingit. :)

I used bars that were 11 months out of date and shakes that were 6 months out of date. The bars were a bit hard and the shakes/soups were fine. I have lost 16lbs and OH 24lbs!! They still work and I can now say that I am using indate stuff !!

Back