Padlocking the Cookie Jar...10 years on!! TCM's Diary

TheCookieMonster

Padlocking the cookie jar
So, these are my personal ramblings...they are going to be prolific and probably pretty darn boring so please feel free to ignore but I find having a place to put everything ( the good, the bad, the ugly) down in writing makes a huge difference to me. I first joined this amazing community over a decade ago following the exante and then Keto diet and over the course of a few years managed to loose 63Lbs. Over the course of the last 3 years I have allowed life the universe and mainly a VERY stressful job ( read ME) get in my way and have put back on, not all, but the majority of the weight back on.

ENOUGH - I have to get back to a place where I am looking after my own health!

So here goes...the cliched beginning of a new year. But hey, if it is going to do the trick as a jump start I am down for it!!

Diet wise, I am going to be following a keto diet but aiming to minimise my lectins (I have a couple of health conditions that mean inflammation is a massive factor that I need to get under control). I will be documenting everything I consume in the day including drinks and supplements that I take. And I promise myself to be truthful in what I put down here. I will also be recording how I genuinely feel. In life I always put a front and a brave face on how I feel but this will be a place to honestly express myself and how I feel. This is just for me, not for pity or requiring anyone to gee me up, just to have a place for me to be totally honest.

So....BRING IT ON!!

Starting weight: 207lb (94kg)
Goal weight: 152lb (69kg)
Weight to lose:55lb (25kg)
Starting date: January 2nd 2022
Goal date: July 1st 2022

Day 1:
Food:
-ACV, water, lemon, himalayan salt (drunk with a straw).
-Keto coffee with MCT oil and a smidgen of pure stevia powder (I want to wean myself of the sweet tastes but going to start in a manageable way for me).
-2xturmeric and black pepper caps
- marshmallow root tea
- Pukka tea bag (peace)
-scrambled egg x3 with salad olive oil, lemon juice and water.
-hibiscus and basil seed drink with stevia
-shepherds pie (sweet potatoes and almond topping
-hibiscus and basil seed drink
- marshmallow root tea
-teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
-tea with almond milk and stevia
-Aswagandha capsules x2
- painkillers x2

So day 1 over 100% on track! Did definitely feel as though I had less of the brain fog by evening. Looking forward to tomorrow although likely to be a bit more challenging as back to work tomorrow and quite a physically taxing day ahead....
1-11:11 (Ls +,Pro++,dis post ++, BLT post ++).
2-13:45 (Ls+, Pro +)

P:
11:20 - (lower back ++, upperback + shoulder + , abdo ++, right eye +, left knee +, R wrist +)
14:55 - (abdo ++, l shoulder ++)
Midnight (shoulder +, knees +)

Energy lv:
9:30 3/5
11:20 2/5
20:00 3.5/5 (good mental clarity)

Last edited:
DAY 2:
So, had a fairly reasonable night. I did have to get up 2 or 3 times to use the loo - whenever I am starting keto the first few days I do loose A LOT of water so that has kicked in...scales are down to 92.5kg but I know that that is just water weight but at least it is a start...

I have a really bizarre thing that whenever I am getting into keto it aggravates an old shoulder injury. It gets extremely painful and in the past it is this that has stopped me doing keto - it takes about a week before it settles but am going to have to push through. It doesn't help that I have a crazy busy day ahead at work...

Food:
-Bulletproof coffee with MCT oil.
- turmeric capsules x 2
-painkillers x 2
-Mushrooms, fried egg x2, onion, half avocado, salad leaves and drizzle of coconut aminos- yum!
- white tea and ginger
-iced hibiscus tea with basil seeds
- tablespoon EV olive oil
-microwave almond flour cake with sparing red berry blend.
-tea with almond milk
-salad with roast vegetables
-pistachio nuts (a few roo many!!)
-1am CBD patches on shoulder to try and reduce the pain enough to sleep.

Overall my head does feel clearer today by the shoulder pain has been a real battle to push through.....I know it should go after a few days but I have found it really tough today. I used to have to have steroid shots into the shoulder to calm the inflammation and I just don't want to have lasting problems/damage from this....am going to have to do more tomorrow to try and counter any uric acid build up.....I am proud of myself for sticking to it today.

Peed on a stick at 1am (like you do) and in trace keto so fingers crossed not too much longer to go before it settles down

10:30 - left shld ++++
17:52 - left shoulder ++++
23:00 - ++++
En lv:
10:30 2/5 (just really drained by the pain)

Ed Rew:

Last edited:
Last edited:
DAY 3:
So day 3 in the bag - long day at work so going to make this a very quick update so I can hit the sack....

Food:
- mushrooms, onion, 2 x fries eggs
- coffee with almond milk
- painkillers x 2
- collagen powder with iced hibiscus tea
- red cabbage and ginger slaw with left over roast veg from last night
- spoonful of olive oil
- ACV and water
- spinach, prawn and coconut stew
- hibiscus jelly
- painkillers x2
- turmeric and boswellia capsules x 2
- Vitamin D spray

Been a very busy day in work today so I feel that I have eaten a bit less than the past few days. I do ideally want to get into a routine of IF soon but just want to settle into keto properly first.

I haven't drunk as much as I should have today. I need to make sure I up the water intake tomorrow. Last night I was in and out of the loo like a yoyo (It is increadible just how much excess fluid the body can be holding onto!! Hopefully it will be a bit less of an issue tonight. On the plus side the scales were down to 92.1kg this morning...
I do need to kick the daily scales obsession but for the time being it is where I'm at.

My shoulder pain is slightly better today and TMI but my digestive tract has been so much better for me today which is absolutely increadible as the need to really take care of my colon is one of my key motivations for getting back on track....

Enough rambling (I said it was going to be a quick update!!🤣🤣).

Bring on day 4!

-23:50 (formed ++, pro +, disc post 0, BLT post 0) - massive result!!!

Pain:
- left shoulder ++
- lower back ++
- right wrist/finger joints+++

Day 4:

Another day bites the dust...
Been really busy at work today which helps distract. I had said i was going to wait to start the IF till fully settled into keto but today things were so hectic that I didn't stop to eat till after midday so going to just roll with it and days when I'm not feeling hungry push back the first meal till later and other have a full on brekkie.
I wasn't good at upping the drinking water today so REALLY have to do better on that front tomorrow.
Shoulder giving me a bit of jib this evening but thankfully nothing like as bad as the first few days.

Food:
- Omelette and red cabbage slaw
- handful of olives
- tablespoon olive oil
- 'green gloup' broccoli powder, spirulina, inositol, psyllium husk and water
- collagen in coffe
- left over spinach, prawn and coconut stew
- almond flour and berries microwave pudding (I accidentally added a few more frozen berries than I normally would
- 1x avocado

I feel like I are quite a lot over quite short period of time this afternoon/evening.

Ketostix reading in the middlish ground (not quite at that deep burgandy shade that makes my heart sing yet).

Scales only a very slight shift down (but any shift down is in the right direction).

Here's to Day 5......

-23:30 (reasonably WF, discomfort 0, blt 0, nausea 0)

Pain:
L shoulder ++, lower back ++

Energy:
- really hard to get up first thing
- 6am 1/5
- 10am 2/5
-1pm - midnight 3.5/5

Last edited:
Day 5:
I found today a little tougher. 1st day TOTM which has sent me a little off kilter (insert *something of a hormonal wreck*). Just managed to keep to keto but let the low lectin side of things slide. The rest of the family were having a take out this evening and after an 11hour day at work I just didn't have the energy to cook so I had some parts of the take out - meat, chicken and salad/veg dips. I did resist the major urge to join in on the bread and rice. But still a little cross with myself - I've been so good at keeping clear of the high lectin and processed c#$p the past few days and it has made a world of difference to my digestion - fingers crossed it doesn't set it back at all or the scales for that matter...

Food:
- 2x scrambled eggs
-painkillers x2
-red cabbage and coconut aminos slaw
- coffee with almond milk
- 6 olives
- green gloup and collagen
- tablespoon olive oil
- meat/ chicken/ meze veg dips
- tea and almond milk

Will edit to update rest of deats tomorrow- have to hit the sack for now....

That reminds me. I had to disupt my bread habits. No more making bread. I don't buy sourdough bread - and get Mr AG a bland brown sliced loaf (no palm oil) , and don't keep it in the bread bin. It's often in the fridge or by the kettle. Somehow that means I can leave it alone!

That reminds me. I had to disupt my bread habits. No more making bread. I don't buy sourdough bread - and get Mr AG a bland brown sliced loaf (no palm oil) , and don't keep it in the bread bin. It's often in the fridge or by the kettle. Somehow that means I can leave it alone!
Such a good idea!!! I have to make sure that if I'm buying biscuits for the rest of the family it's most bland plain variety that I'm not going to be tempted by...poor them!! 🤣🤣🤣

BTW I really love the sound of the ridiculously large salads. I just need to get a bit more ontop of my meal prep as I would love to be able to take them with me to work. At the moment I'm being a bit lazy and just taking scrambled egg or omelette that I have made for the family's breakfast and having that at lunch....I hopefully have a day off work on Monday so look forward to getting on top of things a bit more...
Xxx

Last edited:
DAY 6:
Still in keto but yesterday's partial slide with the protein and veg bits of a take out did mean the scales haven't budged this morning and I woke up with a very puffy face - I'm so much better when I steer clear of the processed junk. I just have to make sure I get myself a bit more organised and have some good things in the freezer for days when I'm just too tired to cook in the eve....

I had a non-stop day at work so I didn't actually have my first meal till 2:30pm but I think that was leaving it a bit too late for me to be able to keep a good energy level into the afternoon/eve. I think I need to up my fat intake and water intake tomorrow....

Food:
- black coffee
- omelette
- handful of green olives
- red cabbage slaw
- almond flour and sunflower seed crackers and roast veg
- vit d/magnesium supplements

Pain:
Left shoulder ++, neck ++, lower back ++

Energy:
Waking 1/5, am 3/5, pm2/5

You are doing well @TheCookieMonster . Similar to me, keto approach and first meal as late as I can. Weird about the shoulder pain, obviously not about having it but about keto causing it to flare up. I'm a daily weigher too as I find it keeps me motivated but I only count Fridays weight. Look forward to following your progress.

You are doing well @TheCookieMonster . Similar to me, keto approach and first meal as late as I can. Weird about the shoulder pain, obviously not about having it but about keto causing it to flare up. I'm a daily weigher too as I find it keeps me motivated but I only count Fridays weight. Look forward to following your progress.
Thank you!
Really great to have someone here following such a similar approach. The shoulder is bizarre but the same thing has happened everytime I've tried to get into Keto for the past few years. From What I've looked up it seems to be due to a uric acid build up as a result of the sudden water loss during those first few days so it is effectively like I'm having an episode of gout in my shoulder. It is what has stopped me so many times in the past but I've managed to push through this times and it thankfully is lessening a lot now and I'm hoping will settle over the next few weeks.
Hope you have a lovely weekend
Xxx

I wonder if having one of those DIY electrolyte drinks might relieve yr pain. No scientific rationale = just that they have ingredients that help with msucle cramps so maybe they reach the parts other drinks don't. Two different recipes here. I don't always use vinegar in the one that has apple cider vinegar.

Oooops! Forgot to hit post on this yesterday!! 🙈
DAY 7:

Food:
-bulletproof coffee
-vit d, c, zinc, iron
- red cabbage slaw, olives, avocado
- tablespoon olive oil
- seedy almond flour crackers
- collagen drink
- avocado 1/2

Ketostix are creeping up to the darker shades of purple which is all good. Rearly need to up my fluids tomorrow.

Mini shift down on the scales this morning but as long as it's in the right direction I'm a happy Cookie!

Update more fully tomorrow.

I wonder if having one of those DIY electrolyte drinks might relieve yr pain. No scientific rationale = just that they have ingredients that help with msucle cramps so maybe they reach the parts other drinks don't. Two different recipes here. I don't always use vinegar in the one that has apple cider vinegar.

Thank you so much AliGal - I used to do this - will defo make sure I get back on it. Hope all is well with you. Xxx

DAY 8:
Well double update as I forgot to hit send on last night's post - doh!

Today was my one day off work for the week so major attempt at catching up on cleaning/tidying laundry etc.... I'd planned to do a load of meal prep but it didn't quite happen...

The scales had randomly ticked up a tiny bit but not gonna get hung up on it - have to trust the process.

Ketostix are dark purple. I must remember to cut the rest of the strips in the packet into thirds - it saves a bit when you are peeing as obsesively on the things as I am. For the first few weeks I seem to do this compulsively then after that I manage to let it go.

Am hosting a surprise family 70th Birthday party for my Mum tomorrow evening. I'm doing all the cooking and going to try and have plenty of keto friendly options in there but it is going to be the first major test of will power.....normally I would just say hang it I'm having the day off but I really dont want to have to go through all the getting back into keto that that would entail. We shall see....

Today's food:
- coffee
- tablespoon olive oil
- light lamb and vegetable soup
- hibiscus tea
- handful of pistachios nuts
- white fish, broccoli and sweet potatoe stew
- I had the tiniest nibble on some yoghurt flatbread that my sister brought round - literally the size of a thumbnail and a tiny cube of crystallised ginger - dont even know why I did it but I did.
- Peppermint and liquorice tea with basil seeds in.
-turmeric capsules x 2
- vit d spray

Pain: left shoulder only slight twinges, headache- 1st since starting keto but it did last all day

Energy levels: medium

I'm good. I hope you have a lovely time for your mum today. Have fun!

I make up litres and litres of the Keto Fitness Club electrolyte drink, and drink upwards of 1.5-2 litres every day, as it really helps ease my restless leg. It takes me 5 minutes to make up - into a 1 litre Argon tableware Tallo glass bottle I add -

- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, which i buy in 5 litre containers off, you guessed it, Amazon
- 2 tablespoons Willys ACV - again, Amazon, 5 litres, much cheaper that way
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt

It's not at all unpleasant, and ACV has so many benefits. Good luck if you decide to try it!

I make up litres and litres of the Keto Fitness Club electrolyte drink, and drink upwards of 1.5-2 litres every day, as it really helps ease my restless leg. It takes me 5 minutes to make up - into a 1 litre Argon tableware Tallo glass bottle I add -

- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, which i buy in 5 litre containers off, you guessed it, Amazon
- 2 tablespoons Willys ACV - again, Amazon, 5 litres, much cheaper that way
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt

It's not at all unpleasant, and ACV has so many benefits. Good luck if you decide to try it!
Awesome- thank you!
Will try and make up a bug jug at work tomorrow and sip through the day.

Am just picking my jaw off the floor that Willys do a 5 litre bottle - I love Willys so much better than Bragg's and have a small stash of 1litre bottles in my cupboar - top tip thank you!

Really glad it's been helping with the restless leg. Xxx

Back