Partridge cooking advice!

ermintrude

Gold Member
Not sure where to put this, it's not a recipe, more a HAAAAAAAAAAALP!!!! Moron's Guide To Cooking Request :eek:

As some of you know I dont eat much meat so dont really know how to cook the stuff :D At the w/e I am having partridge breast wrapped in ham. Ive got 2 whole partridges.

My question is:
- once I've cut the breast off to use is the rest of it any good for eating or is there not really enough left to eat? (it wouldn't be me who eats it as I dont like any other bit of poultry than the breast as I find it too fatty, but In thought the b/f could eat it?)

- If so how is best to cook it? Ive only ever roast a chicken, like, twice in my life, and I had to get instructions then :rolleyes: Was years ago now and as most of it (breast) is gone anyway is there a better way of doing it?

- ALSO - how on earth do I cut the breast bit off? Rather than just tearing into it with an axe like I intended to :rolleyes: I thought while Im here I might as well ask if theres a 'proper' way to do it? :D

I dont know my arse from my cock/erel where meat is concerned :eek:

Ta for any help :)

I am so like you lol. My hubbie is vegi so I very rarely cook joints of meat. I am not a cook but have been experimenting lately and loving recipes on here.
Advice on your partridge sorry I haven't got a clue lol, I'd treat it like a chicken!?

Thing is I dont know how to treat a chicken :rolleyes: :D I only buy chicken breast already cut as I dont like the other bits anyway. It looks so small I dont know if its worth cooking the rest once Ive got the breast bit off or not. Ah well, I guess Ill just bung the leftovers in the oven and see if they cremates themself :sigh: :D

Good point! Off I trundle! :D

I pot roasted pheasant and you can do partridge the same way.

Make sure all shot is removed from the bird, brown the bird gently in a little oil, then put the bird into a casserole dish with some onions, carrot, bacon, thyme, bay leaves and a very small amount of stock (I added red wine but you don't have to!)
Cook on the hob or in the oven for up to an hour.

You can then take the breast off - peel the skin back and just cut the breast meat off. The rest of the meat should just fall off the bone. It really is quite beautiful.

Not quite what you wanted I know, but it really is quite a beautiful meat :)

You could wrap the cooked breast in ham and then quickly pan fry it to crisp the ham up?

Hope this helps a little!

I pot roasted pheasant and you can do partridge the same way.

Make sure all shot is removed from the bird, brown the bird gently in a little oil, then put the bird into a casserole dish with some onions, carrot, bacon, thyme, bay leaves and a very small amount of stock (I added red wine but you don't have to!)
Cook on the hob or in the oven for up to an hour.

You can then take the breast off - peel the skin back and just cut the breast meat off. The rest of the meat should just fall off the bone. It really is quite beautiful.

Not quite what you wanted I know, but it really is quite a beautiful meat :)

You could wrap the cooked breast in ham and then quickly pan fry it to crisp the ham up?

Hope this helps a little!

I was gonna do this recipe. So the breast is supposed to be seasoned & herbed, wrapped in ham then briefly browned and left to cook with the berries & wine for a few minutes.

Hmm, not sure what to do now. Does sound yum the way you do it as I cant imagine its very tender doing it the way the recipe does?

If you cook the whole thing in a pot like that doesnt quite a lot of fat escape? I know its not as fatty as red meat but there must still be some? I HATE chicken skin and the fatty bits on the thighs/wings etc *shudder*

Also even when it was cooked I wouldnt really know how to detach the breast bit from the rest :eek:

I think Ill just have to get my axe out :eek: :D

Helleeew! I'm flattered that you guys thought of me lol. I have to say I've only cooked partridge once and I didn't love it. I don't think I like gamey meats lol. Like most game birds, it's pretty lean so could be dry when you cook it so unfortunately a lot of recipes call for copious amounts of butter and fatty bacon :eek:

I think it would be a good idea to invest in your HEB of olive oil. I would also roast the whole thing, a lot less daunting than trying to break down a small bird trying not to lose all the meat! You don't have to eat the dark meat, but cook it whole and then take the skin off before eating.

To cook I'd mix a heaped tsp wholegrain mustard, crushed garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, salt, pepper, 1/2 a chicken stock cube and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix into a paste and rub all over ther partridges. Roast at 200C for 35 - 45 minutes depending on size. If you have any around and want to be a bit fancy, you can melt a heaped tbsp cranberry jelly or fig jam in a little boiling water and brush over the partridges 10 mins before cooking time elapses. Gives it a lovely shine and game birds go really well with sweet flavours.

For sides, you could do some nice rustic roast veg (parsnips, carrots, butternut squash with a drizzle of honey, fresh thyme sprigs, s & p) and some braised cabbage with onions and bacon. Soften some sliced onions in butter (*) add chopped bacon, fennel seeds if you have any, season, and add sliced cabbage (pointed green cabbage is the sweetest). Stir and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Don't add any water, the moisture from the cabbage should be enough.

Hope I wasn't too vague!

Also saw this recipe, looks delicious though would probably use up a lot of syns
Partridge with Moroccan spices and roasted root vegetables

Oooh thankyou! Lots to look at, will go and have a ponder! x :)

Good luck! I'm so excited to see what you turn out :drool:

Back