Pasta portions (& other foods)

LisaC

Gold Member
Ive not been doing well so later on Im going to start over & weigh all my HEXA's & HEXB's to make sure Im not going wrong in that area.

I just wondered when it comes to foods like pasta & potatoes (i.e. mash) how much do you usually eat? I never eat so much that I feel totally full (like Ive eaten too much). When I make pasta for lunch I fill a sandwich box which is bulked up with veg & passata but I wonder if thats eating too much. I made a little less pasta today & an hour later feel like Im still peckish....

Do people tend to eat til they're full or try to give themselves a certain amount only?? Hope this makes sense! :eek:

I never weigh pasta or anything free like that. I just normally shove a couple of handfuls of pasta in a pan and thats normally about the right amount lol.

I eat tons! I do weigh out pasta but only so I don't make too much, like tonight we are having carbonara and I will weigh out 100g each for me and OH and 50g for DD. This makes a huge amount and I will be nicely full. I know I shouldn't have to and it's not for portion control, more to avoid waste.

With potatoes, If we are having chips or wedges I allow 2 large spuds each - again to avoid waste. Mash - I make loads and use the left overs for another meal, we had bubble and squeak last night.

I have a whole pack of couscous or noodles or savoury rice for lunch.

I've never been one for cutting down on things, I don't restrict portions sizes or any foods like bananas or yoghurts as I know some people do. My theory - SW says it's free and I eat until I'm full and I eat when I am hungry and it works! As soon as we start restricting further then it defeats the SW object really.

I do find it hard to stop sometimes though, the other night I had lentil curry, I had a bowl, refilled my bowl and could easily have eaten a third bowl - however, I was full and my head told me to stop!!

I dont weigh pasta or rice if im on a green day i just eat untill im full then if there is any left i use it for lunch bulking it out with veggies!

One thing i learnt at class today which i didnt reliase was if you have pasta as a hexb on a red day it must be wholemeal! I didnt know that i assumed any pasta!!

Well they do say you learn something new everyday!! lol!

being a guy it may be slightly different, but i can just eat and eat free foods and not worry about portion sizes. PPl are amazed when they see what i eat for lunch at work. Huge Jacket potatos covered, in a full tin of beans, or a pasta n sause or a big pack of couscous and a salad. I think trying to cut back on your portion sizes, only makes u tempted to nibble at other foods more. So id say enjoy the free food, fill you're self up and dont feel guilty afterwards. :)

So id say enjoy the free food, fill you're self up and dont feel guilty afterwards. :)

Thanks Andy :) SW has been a struggle the whole way, so far Ive lost 13 weeks & either sts or gained the other 13 weeks Ive done it. I just wondered if maybe my portions of free foods were a reason Im not doing so well but can't say I eat huge amounts!

I eat to my appetite, which is quite generous! I usually measure out 200g pasta and that does me and OH. On a hungry day we eat it all. Some days there's enough left over for my lunch the following day.

Rice is about the same. Potatoes I usually allow 2 or 3 spuds each for wedges and mash, depending on how hungry we are! I add extra superfree veg if I want to bulk out pasta sauces. More mushrooms, pepper, courgette, aubergine etc. A great way of upping your veggies :)

I just wondered if maybe my portions of free foods were a reason Im not doing so well but can't say I eat huge amounts!

Do you think perhaps you aren't eating enough?! Maybe it is your portions of free foods...but maybe they're too small, not too big!

also im guessing u dont have a huge amount to lose now, so the weight loss will slow down. Hopefully september will see a loss and you'll be back on track :)

I dont weigh my pasta or potato but all depends what im making, if making pasta dish and its nice when cold i will eat till im full and if peckish later or have another portion for tea or later on hehe good luck

Do you think perhaps you aren't eating enough?! Maybe it is your portions of free foods...but maybe they're too small, not too big!

I was just about to say 'someone's gonna chip in with 'you're not eating enough' in a minute and make you go 'Arrrghhhhhh' :p

Hun, you're almost there! maybe go totally back to basics, carry your book round with you, if you bite it, write it, and see what the outcome brings. Maybe do some walkin round the block a few times this week too, see if that helps any?

My friend is around 8 stone, has lost over 2 and wants to be in the 7 stoners club, she's finding that last half stone a bugger to shift. She did tons of exercise last week and put on half a pound and was gutted. Maybe it's just what you're meant to weigh... :confused:

I think you're lovely, so don't be too hard on yourself about it. Stress leads to chocolate... and pringles. The devil and his right hand man.

I eat till im about to burst, it's the only sure way to make sure i havnt got any room left, otherwise im always worried il be hungry :D feel the pain!

Maybe it's just what you're meant to weigh... :confused:

No no no no!!!! :cry: I dont have a target as yet but would you believe Im absolutely no where near the figure I would choose....& Im not even choosing a weight thats super-low (sorry for the blonde-ism there).

No no no no!!!! :cry: I dont have a target as yet but would you believe Im absolutely no where near the figure I would choose....& Im not even choosing a weight thats super-low (sorry for the blonde-ism there).

Oh hun :( I'd say from your current weight that you probably want to heave off at least another stone and a half, around 20lbs or so. How's the exercise coming? I know I need to up my game in that department as well.

Oh hun :( I'd say from your current weight that you probably want to heave off at least another stone and a half, around 20lbs or so. How's the exercise coming? I know I need to up my game in that department as well.

That atleast :( which is why the way things have been I feel I'll never ever get there! I know food is so important but I sometimes feel with me, exercise may be the key, right now I've had a badly bruised knee bone for 3 weeks which kills so until that eases I can't do a thing. Once its better Ive got to up my exercise game for sure.

You don't need your knees to do some sit ups during the ad break of Corrie/Easties/Hollyoaks/Insert girlie programme here dudette! Anything that raises your heart rate is ettulente, as the Ambassador would say!

I might take my own advice tonight actually...

You don't need your knees to do some sit ups during the ad break of Corrie/Easties/Hollyoaks/Insert girlie programme here dudette! Anything that raises your heart rate is ettulente, as the Ambassador would say!

I might take my own advice tonight actually...

Ive been told!! :copon: Believe it or not Im not into any soaps so I really have no excuse whatsoever! :busted:

Back