Pauline Quirke

I agree that this diet will be useful after goal. Especially for holiday gains etc. Being realistic it is going to happen with certain events, times of year etc. It will be how i deal with it thats the key.

Was wondering about the LL packs too as i used LL in 2008 and we had to make sure we used the packs. (saying that i actually like the choc shake and chicken soup)

I will probably use the packs indefinitely ,both to maintain and to lose any weight gained on holidays , xmas etc , combined with a low carb diet , they are definitely part of my long term plan

The are some LL packs that I prefer to SnS - particularly the vanilla shake as the LL one is much thicker when mixed with coffee and I like that (although everyone else around me who has tried it says it's too thick!). So I do have some LL packs in the week. Also, I am now on lighterlife lite - which is 3 packs a day plus protein meal and sometimes I have a pack instead of a protein meal so that uses up some excess. However, the main thing I'm doing is getting lots of vanilla shakes and apple and cinnamon porridge to have for breakfast once I'm maintaining. I am not good at eating in the morning as it makes me feel sick. But I'm perfectly happy having the vanilla shake with coffee - and often ok with the apple and cinnamon porridge as it's not very thick. So I intend to carry on having them for breakfast in normal life! Also, my husband has the LL bars as protein bars as he works out a lot and he'd only buy protein bars anyway. (He prefers the SnS bars but they're all mine!)

Finally, if I find myself drowning in packs I'll give some to my dad who has now been on Slim and Save for 4 weeks (so proud of him - he's lost 23 lbs in 4 weeks!).

Well done Weasey's dad! :)

An interesting concept that I was introduced to was losing weight BEFORE the event rather than after. So losing half a stone before Christmas or a holiday because you expect to gain during it. Interesting concept isn't it? Needless to say it was slim people I heard discussing it! I think if I was to do that I would low carb before hand - probably using a few packs but more Atkins oriented than VLCD.

I could see myself maybe choosing to use an SnS meal at lunchtime during maintenance to keep my calories low, especially if I was going out for a meal in the evening or something.

However, I also intend to have a maximum acceptable weight and if I get anywhere near it I will have to diet straight away. I think I need this type of hard and fast rule. I'm good at sticking to rules I set for myself as if I've made a commitment to do something then I will do it. I've just never set myself rules around weight and food before.

I did that last year, I lost 7lb in a week just before Christmas- and managed to be the same weight as after that loss when I did my jan WI! This was before I decided to, well, change my life and all that. Meant nothing to anyone but me, I don't think anyone could see the difference between 14st7 me and 15st me!

I intend to keep using the packs for a long, long time if not life. I bought scales to keep at home so I will do my best to remain within a certain limit. Dunno what yet, will see when I get closer to goal, but hopefully have a 7lb or so window that is 'acceptable'. I get to the top- I back down, try re starting S&S or swap more of my meals for packs or get ruthless on portion control! I get to the lower end- well, I suppose I sit in smug satisfaction that I'm maintaining so well that could happen! Then deal with it.

I suppose all of attempt to slim down for a special event at some point in our lives whether it be a holiday as we don't want to look flabby on the beach or a wedding etc. I'm sure I won't be disciplined enough to do that continuously before every special event but hope that I can manage to lose it after and keep to my 'top weight' and not go into denial when I pass it like last time.

My plan when I get in goal in about 6 months time is to still have a S&S pack for brekkie and lunch, still have the water allowance, if I ever get there with it by the end and have a normal/healthy meal in the evening. That way I can keep cal intake low during the day and if I have a meal out or something a little bit naughty I know I am well within my calories for maintaining. Well thats the plan in theory, hope it works out when the time comes, I am sure it will as you girls will be there to kick butt if it doesnt.

I'm also thinking of compensating for things. I know it's obvious but before if I had a high calorie lunch it would make no difference to what I had for dinner. In maintenance I plan to compensate ON THE DAY for anything I have. If I say I can't have it then at some point I'll break that rule so I'd rather say that I can have it if I really want it but if so I must have a low calorie dinner.

I thought about doing the same Donjon, 2 packs for breakfast and lunch but I would struggle to get enough calories in

Ive worked out that I will need around 1700 to maintain my goal weight and if I have 2 packs at around 300 cals max , then I still need 1400 , which Im not going to fit into a healthy dinner

I suppose Ill be making the cals up with snacks

i will have to look for one of those plates lorraine, van you get them anywhere else do you know?

thing is , it doesnt tell you how deep you can have your food , I could build a mash potato mountain a foot high if i really put my mind to it

did you see the the guy who piled his free salad at pizza hut 3ft high as they told him he could only make one trip to it

I was in a Harvester recently and watched one guy go to the free salad bar about 7 times , and then bought a dessert lol

sounds good to me :)

Pheonix - how do you work out what your cal intake should be while maintaining?

Back