PCOS and Weight Loss ?

I'm following a low calorie and low carb diet along with exercise (cardio, weights, resistance training, walking several miles a day) So far the weight loss has been very slow and it's been very frustrating - even though people say it's better to lose slower as it stays off. My typical daily diet as is followed;

Breakfast:

Nature Valley Fruit and Nut bar
Handful of Almonds
WW Hot Chocolate

Lunch:

Carrots, cucumber, peppers and mushrooms with reduced fat houmous
Yogurt or low fat chocolate mousse

Snack:

Fruit - apples, bananas, oranges, satsumas, blueberries ( usually 5 + a day)

Tea/Dinner:

Two peppers with chilli and rice

Snack:
Crackerbread/Melba Toast or Rice Cakes.

Drinks: Water - usually 1-3 litres a day and sometimes diet coke.

Sometimes allow myself a treat a day.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong? And does anyone with PCOS have suggestions on a better diet? Thankyou.

Hi i also have pcos im on slimming world i do extra easy plan i start in dec an up to now i have 2 and a half stone every week anythink from 1lb up to 2.5lb hope this helps xx

I have struggled with PCOS for 14 yrs and only just now got my head around it. Personally I would ditch the carrots and replace with celery and beware hidden sugars in the fruit you are eating. The diet Soda too. Google "PCOS and low calorie sweeteners". Any kind of sugar/artificial sweetener is the enemy. Stick with it! :)

weight.png

I also struggle with PCOS - I find that eating low sugar vegetables is better than fruit for me (PCOS sufferers often do better on low carb/high glycemic index diets it seems: the fruit and cereal bars wouldn't be the best on that), I would be careful of the nature valley bar too, could be high in carbs/high in sugar (I used to eat the nature valley bar oat bars, so delicious until I checked the ingredients/nutritional stats).

I have PCOS too and weight loss is definitely a struggle for me. The times I've had the greatest success is when I've got my head around the low GI thing. So I echo the comments about reducing the fruit and upping the veg.

The other thing I would wonder is if you are eating enough? There doesn't look to be many calories there and eating too little really does slow weight loss down.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It definately is possible to lose weight with PCOS but its just a little bit harder than it is for other folk. I have lost over 5 stone now and after 2 stone lost all of a sudden my periods appeared and have been as regular as clockwork ever since. This is a person who some years perhaps had 3 at best.

I have continued to take a low dose of Metformin every day and discussed this with my doc. He has suggested I continue with this until I am at the weight I want to be, have maintained it for a little while and then I will come off it and see how things go. He is as interested as me as to whether this will have an affect on any weight going back on.

It is incredibly easy to get bamboozled by all the advice on offer for folk with PCOS, however any weight you manage to lose will all help. Good luck :)

I also have PCOS and struggle with Weight loss too. The amount of effort I put in and the amount of weight i loss each week doesn't correlate at all. If you have any issues with weight loss and PCOS you could ask your GP to refer you to a PCOS dietitan? I saw one at my local hospital (she was the one who diagnosed with me PCOS) and she was a godsend.

I also find that what some people can tolerate with their PCOS others can't just the same as the symptoms themselves they varey widely.

I have stuck to healthy eating, portion control and exercise, ive now thrown in Slim fast for a bit of a mix but im still not losing as quickly as I should/want to be.

Good Luck!

Thankyou I shall reduce fruit intake and completely take out diet coke as well and stick to porridge for breakfast, any reasons for celery instead of carrots? (I'm not too fond of celery despite it being v.healthy) @Paws: I was thinking the same, I'm not sure though. Not had alot of advice from doctors but I will speak to a dietician. I have lost quite alot of inches so I'm thinking that I may be building muscle? Thanks ladies :)

katielauren2001 said:
@Paws: I was thinking the same, I'm not sure though. Not had alot of advice from doctors but I will speak to a dietician. I have lost quite alot of inches so I'm thinking that I may be building muscle? Thanks ladies :)

Have a look at www.myfitnesspal.com and enter your calories and details on there and see if it's what you think. I'm finding the app a godsend atm as its helping me see the wood from the trees!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

sorry it took a while to respond... Avoid "root" vegetables. Eating leafy, green vegetables is ideal for PCOS sufferers because these contain less sugar and are absorbed into the body of women with PCOS faster than root vegetables like potatoes and carrots. fair enough if you dont like celery, what about sliced cabbage which is crunchy too?

Hi i too have pcos and have flipped from cambridge diet to south beach and im really enjoying the south beach its mainly low gi and teaches you about good carbs, ive started walking 2-4 miles daily and feel loads better in myself, I am known for my sweet tooth and have found that sugar free jelly or ricotta sweetened as per southbeach has really taken the edge off for me :) x

Thanks a lot guys. I am reluctant to go on any diet plans I just want to do healthy eating. Fair enough... though carrots in moderation ? I am also eating more fish and concious of what I am eating ( go for healthier options rather than fattening - happen to enjoy it more) I don't really have that much of a sweet tooth but low fat chocolate mousse is perfect for a sweet treat. I have read conflicting information on the diet that PCOS sufferers should be eating, and have had no proper advice from doctors so I'm very confused. Believe it or not eating less fruit and less of the vegetables I like will be harder than giving up fattening foods :( I don't mind celery if it is cooked in something, but there is something unpleasant about the taste of raw celery. So I am open to trying different things but it's going to be hard! :cry:

Dont get upset :( i dont eat alot of celery but have found with a sprinkle of salt it is tasty, i was very upset when i was diagnosed but with accupuncture and loosing weight i have regular period cycles and am pleased about that i suppose once you get an understanding of low gi options you can balance things out im following spouthbeach because i have not got the patience to meal plan or calorie count and it suits me im enjoying alsorts of other different vegeatables. Find something that suits you :) how much have you got to loose? x

I have around 3/4 stone to lose... which is about 40/50 pounds. I've been down to my ideal weight before and I want to keep it off this time. It is kind of depressing but atleast I'm losing inches. Maybe slower is better for me.... but it just doesn't feel good when you are eating healthy foods and you get no results well atleast not on the scales... I have lost quite a number of inches. Thanks all for support :) I'll try the celery.

I read that as three quarters of a stone and was trying to work out where 40 - 50 lb came into it! I think perhaps I need another cup of coffee....

I know what you mean about celery. I like it spread with some soft cheese, but it certainly isn't something that you have to eat. I think that reduced carb intake seems to be the way to go, insulin resistance makes dealing with carbs so difficult. Personally, I am struggling. Well done you for losing inches!

Back