Extra Easy PCOS

Hi all, I have polycystic ovaries and have such a slow weight loss its unbelievable!
I was wondering if anyone has got any info or if they have any hint and tips for me around this?
Help me!! :( <3 xx

I have had no experience with how pcos affects weightloss, but just wanted to give some *hugs* and say keep at it

If you think of it this way, you could have put on more weight had you not been doing it. Also I see your goal is to lose around 56lbs, well you have lost 5lbs, so you only need to do that again 6 and a bit times and you are there!

Have you got a food diary maybe that we could have a look at and see if there is anything you could change? Are you going to class? and are you sticking to plan 100%?

x

Hi

I have PCOS and I have just started slimming world (again!) I eat as much super speed food as I can. I'm slightly addicted to Grapefruit and Melon at the moment. I really think they help with a bit of a boost.

As sparklesazzy said you have lost and not put more weight on.

Keep at it - are you going to group?

xx

With pcos carbs can be a major factor with weightloss so ideally need to be limited-red days may suit u more xx

Hey

I have pcos too and fortunately it doesn't seem to be affecting my losses too much, I average about 2lbs off a week, but when I first diagnosed I did have trouble, most of which was my own fault cos I never stuck to it for a full week, but my C recommended that I try to stick to low GI foods, you should try that and see if it helps. I always use wholewheat spaghetti and brown rice, I only have basmati occasionally cos I love it too much to not have it :D (I love parsnips too which are high GI but I don't have them a lot really!) but having the lower GI pastas seems to work for me.

I can't see your stats as I'm on my phone, so dunno how much you've lost or want to lose, so how much do you lose per week? It might not be coming off as slow as you think :)

Xx

Hi I've got pcos as well it's a nuisance! My first time round didn't do me any harm lost 3 1/2 stone, this time I can't seem to get good losses but I think that's more to do with not sticking to plan as much! Are you on any medication this might be affecting you xx

Hi, thanks for the replies :) Really appreciate your support.
I've actually lost a bit more than what my stats say but ive still got 49lbs to lose!

I still go to group every week, without fail. My mums a consultant so I've got no excuse at all!

I really struggle with the food side of things because im such a fussy eater.. I know that I need to increase my super free foods but I genuinely don't like veg and I've got such a sweet tooth. I do stick to plan and make a food plan for the week after class.

I'm on metformin tablets which are meant to help me with my weight loss so the consultant said but I dont know?

Thanks <3 xxx

I'm such a fussy eater I hate most veg. I have been training myself to eat more by promising myself anon food treat if I eat them. Its been a slow process but eating carrots, peas and green beans at the moment. Still working on brocolli though! xx

I have PCOS as well as two other gynae related problems. My weight loss has always been a struggle & ridiculously slow. I can stick to plan 100% & lose barely anything in a month. It is hard.*

Do you know if PCOS is proven to hinder weight loss?

What are metforim tablets for? Are they prescribed/over the counter or did your C recommend them at class?

Metformin is a prescribed drug by my doctor. PCOS is very similar to type 2 diabetes with slight insulin resistance this is why metformin is used in PCOS to aid weight loss xx

LisaC said:
I have PCOS as well as two other gynae related problems. My weight loss has always been a struggle & ridiculously slow. I can stick to plan 100% & lose barely anything in a month. It is hard.*

Do you know if PCOS is proven to hinder weight loss?

What are metforim tablets for? Are they prescribed/over the counter or did your C recommend them at class?

I am the same PCOS plus endometriosis plus maybe Pelvic Congestion Syndrome hence why I am a long term member of the slow losers team !
I have been on metformin for over 10 years and I am on it for life.

The only way I have consistently lost weight in the past is three hours of exercise a night combined with a low calorie low carb diet. I can barely exercise nowadays due to the pain and as for low carb it just isn't sustainable for me as I don't eat meat.

It is a long slog and for every 2 lb off I might gain 1 lb but I know with help and support I will get there and so can you x

I am the same PCOS plus endometriosis plus maybe Pelvic Congestion Syndrome hence why I am a long term member of the slow losers team !
I have been on metformin for over 10 years and I am on it for life.

The only way I have consistently lost weight in the past is three hours of exercise a night combined with a low calorie low carb diet. I can barely exercise nowadays due to the pain and as for low carb it just isn't sustainable for me as I don't eat meat.

It is a long slog and for every 2 lb off I might gain 1 lb but I know with help and support I will get there and so can you x

Latte I can't believe this-I have exactly the same! All 3 problems. When I was diagnosed, I think I was 19 so 7years ago, my dr told some dr's don't even believe pelvic congestion syndrome even exists, it was hard to hear knowing they give it a name but some do/don't believe in it. I've had a few sessions of acupuncture hoping that may help. I've been on tablets since 18, nothing touches the pain.

Latte I also find i can only have a good loss when I've exercised a lot. I also don't eat meat!!

Same with me-if I lose 2lb I'll gain 1lb the next week. Always one step forwards two steps back :(

I am a lot older then you I am 37. My PCOS was diagnosed in 2000 my endo in 2009 and PCS about a month ago !
I have had three laparoscopys 2 diagnostic and 1 removal.

I am now waiting to see a radio therapist for embolization treatment of the PCS where they apparently put dye through the damaged veins then shut them off with coils. I am not sure if they will even agree to do it. My gynae referred me as he is a full believer in PCS as a condition.

I've had two diagnostic laparoscopies. My first op was awful, it took me 5weeks to recover as the surgeon messed up the stitches.

I was transferred to Kings College hosp who recommend one tablet after the other, again none of them have helped. I feel a lost cause & obv at my age they won't consider removing everything. I hope your dr helps you out with the PCS, I'm not sure how they/if they can treat that.

Just re-read your post, I've never even had PCS explained to me by a dr so they've never suggested treatment.

On my phone tonight so will try to pm you some stuff tomorrow x

PCS was explained to me as varicose veins in the stomach.

I have tried all pain killers anti inflams etc so now I have also been referred to the pain management clinic in Liverpool to see what they can do. But I am still waiting for my appointment.

My gynae says a hysterectomy won't help with PCS as the veins are still going to be broken

This is a total thread hijack and I'm sorry but I was just wondering what the symptoms of PCS are please. I've had lower abdominal pain on and off for a couple of months, usually before and just after my TOTM. I've been to gp had swabs for sti's thrush and other nasties, they've come back normal, she's had a good look down below and all is normal there. I'm still having this belly pain and it doesn't seem to be bowel related so I wonder if it's gynae probs... Need to go back to the docs really.

Last time I did Slimming World it took me a year to lose 2 stone. My weight loss was so slow, I knew I had PCOS but hadn't been officially diagnosed (ie i wouldn't got the doctors even though I knew I had it), now I've been diagnosed and put on the pill the weight seems to be coming off slightly easier than not incredibly fast. I can't really say I have any hints and tips, just persevere it will come off eventually it just takes a while.

Surfhunny to answer your question, everyone gets different symptoms. Some people get heavy period, terrible pains, some get no periods but pains, I had no pain or anything only indication of any problem was that I wasn't getting periods. Get your doctor to send you for an ultrasound, that will tell you if its PCOS or not.

Back