Peony's Little Corner (There will be talk of food - you have been warned!)

I can't quite get my head around it but I have just checked and am in ketosis (suspected it may be so as I am the sort of cold I only ever felt before when in ketosis on packs). I just find it quite unbelieveable and mad. I have not stopped eating for 2 days. I have eaten a shed load of 0% greek yoghurt, eggs, bacon, ham (and more ham and more ham!) marinated and grilled chicken and steak. I have drunk plenty of skimmed milk, have even had 2 massive skinny cappucinos at Costa. And despite all this, I am in ketosis. It is just so counter-intuitive. Go figure! Hopefully when I have my first weigh in I will lose - I still don't really believe that this diet can work.

I put on my gym kit today and my once too big top is now much too tight - I refuse to go out and buy more and tbh I still can't do my fave classes cos of my ankle so I have made the radical decision to try and get to aqua classes at least 5 days a week. Radical cos I HATE getting in a swimsuit and I HATE swimming pools. But it will be a brilliant way to burn some fat without bearing weight on my ankle and will hopefully fast track me to my old figure.

Well that's me for now.
Night x

Sounds like a good plan in the interim till your ankle is properly better - good luck Peony - look forward to your weigh in too xxx

Peony my sweet

So good to hear from you, wow, ketosis already!! I am so interested to know how this diet works for you as I know that my body does best on protein as much as I love the carbs!!! So in the future it might well be worth doing a protein only day a week??? The cold, lol I had it last week, and am having it a little this week, thank goodness its warmer now though, I forgot quite hot bad it was.

Re the wine, I think it was my downfall too, I was really fine and had the odd glass prior to going away in July to do the airshow, which is a big 10 days away on tour, long hours blah blah, and off course you are stuck in a hotel in the middle of nowhere and we were all chefs damnit so what else was there to do but drink??? After that had a huge family drama in August and then things started with the boy at the end of august, so bit of a runaway thing since then. And boy did we have our evenings on the couch after work putting back a bottle or 2 or 3. Re the boy... 10 years younger, and incredibly hot, and just got me, if you know what I mean - nobody has ever made me laugh like that and I just felt all sparkly. I met him at the airshow and we vaguely work together (something I swore I would never do) However he was 10 years younger than me, and obviously not ready for a helluva lot of commitment and so seriously needs to get his life in order, sadly things ended just before xmas - lol why then blahhhh, had the family over, was exhausted and had to keep up a brave face... did fall apart one night though, couldnt be helped. So back to single life, but at least I know I can actually be found attractive, as I really still, even though I was thin, didnt really feel it within myself. And to be honest it is still a 50/50 thing.. I know I look good for the most part, but my self esteem is pretty up and down. Work, hasn't really improved in terms of how much of it I do, but hey it pays the bills just about :) But on the upside, I did have a small revelation come late August, I realised life was passing me by and made a point of going out and making a few girlfriends, and getting out and about even if I didn't think I wanted to. So actually now have a bit of a social life and do a whole lot more.

I am really jealous of how fit you are. I so want to go back to a gym, just not sure if I can fit it in and do not want to waste the money.. I think it might help with the toning, as I never did rid myself of the loose skin entirely, although it did firm up a little.

Keep in touch gorgeous, I am so happy to have found you again!!

J
xx

ps sorry if it was a bit of a ramble, just so excited to see you

Thanks for your great reply. Yes, I think in dukan maintenance the idea is that you do a pure protein day once a week on a set day the same every week so you keep it up. it's one of his rules for maintenence along with the daily walk and daily oatbran ration.

I was on a silver jewellery making course today making bangles (christmas pressie from hubbie) and 2 women there had lost 2-3 stone each on Dukan. One does it religiously, the other does pure protein m-f and is a lot freer at the weekends - both are doing really well. It was timely for me to hear it works as I am on day 4 today and when I went on the scales this morning i was exactly the same weight I was the day before i started. It was disheartening but I have not heard from a single person that has done it that it doesn't work so I will persevere. My body really, really loves to hang on to its fat reserves!

Well Jez, I am pleased to hear that you are making time for a bit of a social life. You work far too hard my darling. Don't let life pass you by. And I am really sad that things have not worked out with the boy. Really horrid timing having to go through a break up before christmas. It hurts so much when things don't work out I know. I have been there times. I am quite fatalistic though and think that things happen for a reason and help us develop and grow and I believe that if you were still with this guy you would not meet the one you are meant to be with in the end if that makes sense. Each time a relationship goes wrong or we give part of our selves to the wrong guy, we learn more about what we want in the right one. When the right one comes along we are in a far better position to know just why he is right for us :) I kissed plenty of frogs before I met my other half! the one before him was a mind controlling evil b*stard, but i don't regret the time with him as it made me stronger, helped me recognise the light shining from my husband, and also even though he was a proper nightmare, the time i spent with him was exciting and made me feel alive and I would rather have experienced those feelings than not!

Well I must fly, all this water drinking again is sending me to the loo every 5 minutes!

xxx

Hi peony.

It's lovely to here from you (in this respect lol). I am still smaller than I was but am officially a diet disaster. I'm back at my group and am on day 6 of my 'must do it to fit into my wedding dress diet'

Hopefully, we can both hover about for a bit and stay in touch.

Mel

YAY MEL YAY MEL!!
I have been meaning to get in touch since before christmas as I know your wedding is getting closer and wanted you to know that I am so here to support you (if you needed it). I couldn't decide whether to send a message to your inbox on facebook or whether to message you here but it didn't look like you'd been on minimins much recently - and so in a mess of indecision I didn't get round to either!

I was thinking of you and wondering how you were doing and what you were doing diet wise. Are you back on LL? Basically what I wanted to say is that I have had to bite the diet bullet again, I am 100% committed and full on into it like I was the first time on LL when you first met me. I have tried and failed several times between September and now to get knuckled down but my head is really in the right place again finally and I am here for you if you need my support helping you get in that wedding dress. You have always been there for me too, I am sooo excited to see you back here.
yay!
xxx

Well I have just replied to a question about how Dukan was going on another member's thread and thought hmm, I really should have written all that stuff here so here it is rehashed:

"Hmm, Dukan. The jury is out. I am giving it till the end of January as I think you have to give things a bit of a fair go but I am not seeing the sort of results I'd have hoped for and that others seem to see.

I am 3 lbs down 10 days in. Yes a loss is a loss but at this rate I'll never be back in my slinky summer clothes in time for my hols late May. Official weigh in day is Thursday and by the end of the month I will have been just over 2.5 weeks at it and am looking for at least a 7lb loss by then. If it is just under I may stick it out longer, if not then it is a few months on exante for me.

Things I like about Dukan:
If I have the desperate urge to eat and potentially fall off the wagon there is always something legal I can put in my mouth like sliced ham or chicken.

I can have the occasional 0% fat Total yoghurt which is a lovely treat.

I can drink coffee with skimmed milk and treat self to a small skinny cappuccino at Costa with my friends after school drop off once or twice a week.

I don't feel hungry.

I don't miss carbs on my plate

Things I don't like about Dukan:
It is very expensive, I am not a fan of chicken breast as I find it dry so alternatives I am allowed tend to be v. exp ie salmon/cured salmon/sea bass/prawns etc.

I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT FAST ENOUGH FOR MY LIKING!!!

I know I know, I AM losing but us past VLCDers are used to amazing results and fast lol!

I am inclined to think it is me and not the diet as at the end of my time on Exante the scales stuck for weeks. I think my body is particularly reluctant to let go of the fat. There is no guarantee that I'd have lost any more on packs the last 10 days which is the main reason I am sticking it out a bit longer.

I am just a bit reluctant to go back on packs as by being able to have a bit of skimmed milk and the occasional Costa it make the diet feel doable over a long time period (this small allowance affects me mentally a huge amount).

I like knowing I can incorporate it into daily life - ie a night out this Thursday at a curry house and I know I will be able to eat a dry salmon starter and a dry chicken main.

I wonder what the effect of having a small amount of skimmed milk daily and the occasional pure protein meal would be on Exante. I am so used to following pack diets 100% abstinent that I can't imagine supplementing them with something along these lines"

I have incorporated a daily swim into my routine with some effort (I HATE swimming lol!) and all the extra time it takes to get ready compared with a gym class but exercise I must and I can't even walk other than what is strictly necessary to get about on this stupid ankle of mine.

On that subject I saw the doctor last week and he said that my original injury was achilles tendonitis - something that can go on for ages and he was impressed at how well recovered it was - smug points here for finding my own rehab exercises on the web and doing them till it improved. The next injury that I sustained my first week back at combat after the achilles seemed on the mend was just a very unfortunate and unrelated twist. In doing so I sprained the ligaments. These were just about on the mend and almost healed when at Christmas I re-sprained them at soft play rescuing my little girl from some bullying children.

To heal it = no gym and physio. A good 6-8 week waiting list on NHS so have decided to foot the bill myself and go for private physio. If I wasn't raring at the bit to get back in the gym and get my fitness back I'd be happy to wait but I am not! I want to be fit and I want to go to the gym every day again and I want to get back in last summer's size 8 jeans!!!!!

So I have my first physio appointment in an hour and as it is near the gym, I will go for my much hated swim straight after. Will have to catch up with work tonight - the joys of self employment!

Really, really hopeful that today will be the first step to recovery from this annoying injury.

xxx

Physio Update

*wipes smug look off face* the middle injury where I twisted my ankle is fully healed, seems the last injury at soft play re-tore the original achilles tendon injury that was doing it's best to heal. It has laid down a load of scar tissue which is why it is so painful. V common among athletes - esp ones that have recently taken up sport like me. Physio gave it ultrasound and I am to go back to my achilles exercises and build the balance back up by standing on that leg. Am allowed to do Aqua aerobics so booked in for that tomorrow - small victory - Back for more ultrasound next week. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to tentatively try a combat class but looks like Attack is off the agenda forever and once fully healed Step ain't a very bright idea either :-( ah well, combat had become my favourite class in any case so chin up!

Went swimming after - 3 times in 3 days, I am determined to rebuild my hard earned fitness one way or another.

x

You go girl - I applaud the effort you are putting in to get back on track. It sounds like you did some proper damage, really hope the physio and alternative exercise helps you mend well xxxxxxx

Thanks for your well wishes Quak. I have just returned from yet another aqua aerobics class - this one was far more intense and enjoyable than the one earlier in the week. Until my ankle returns to fitness I am hoping to get to 3 aqua classes and also have 2 swims a week, giving myself 2 days off which is more than doable.

I have been doing my physio like a good girl although the calf is complaining, it hasn't done any stretching for a while and hurts just to touch today. The aqua class and subsequent bubble pool has helped ease it a bit tho :)

I am delighted to say that my body has finally got to grips with Dukan and has begun to drop the pounds. Today was my 2 week weigh in and loss so far is 7lb which I am really happy with and puts me ahead of my target (always a good place to be in the early stages as I know from hard fought experience that losses stall and drop off the closer you get to goal).

I have mentally committed to another month on Dukan, with the aim of reviewing progress at the end of Feb. I have celebrated by ordering a ludicrously expensive of low carb ketchup. Those eggs and bacon breakfasts will be infinitely more palatable with a dollop on the side!

I am looking forward to meeting friends for an Indian tonight. We meet monthly and when I was on packs I would meet with them for a drink (water!) after they had finished their meal. Sometimes I would arrive as their dessert did which was always challenging. Well thanks to Dukan, tonight I can sit and eat with them. I have checked the menu out and can have a dry salmon tikka starter and a dry tandoori mixed grill for main - Really lovely to be able to do that and know it won't scupper this weeks weight loss!

Well on that positive note I'd better away and get some work done!

xxxx

Diet going good. I maintained last week but I know that water weight must be masking the fat loss as I have been diligently wearing my kifit and recording cals in and out, with an average deficit of 1200 a day it is simply not possible not to be losing fat and my belt keeps going a notch tighter. I have decided to keep away from the scales a while as I find them demotivating and there is only so much sensible talking I can give myself. Plan to get on em at the end of Feb and if I am at my target for then I'll continue with what I am doing.

I can't say i am really doing Dukan religiously. I found it too restrictive and me being me I have found my own take on things. I am on a sort of continuum between Dukan and Atkins so basically low carbing and on the whole low fat but with the occasional slightly higher fat thing that Dukan wouldn't allow - ie chicken thighs with all fat trimmed rather than breast, less than 5% fat ham hock shreds and the occasional black farmer sausage meal.

Average daily allowances are 1000-1300 cals, always ensuring a 1000-1200 calorie food/exercise deficit, 40g carbs, 5-15g saturated fats. The ketosis is keeping me from feeling hungry except for after an aqua class and the variety of food I can eat is keeping me from boredom. Still not missing carbs but am missing alcohol and had a glass of wine week before last and 2 double voddies and diet coke last week. Still a huge improvement on the bottle of wine that I was seeing off nightly before getting back into the groove.

Been back to physio for 3rd lot of ultrasound therapy today - getting expensive! Have seen no improvement in fact it is getting worse so she has discharged me back to my doctor with a letter requesting he send me to hosp for an ultrasound scan to pinpoint exactly what is wrong as she now thinks it may be Achilles Bursitis which is an inflammation in the fluid filled sacs that are supposed to cushion the tendons from the bone. Frustratingly the soonest my doctor can see me is Feb 16th which is ages and who knows how long after that i will get a scan appointment and how long after that i can get any treatment. I just want to be able to workout properly. It is so incredibly frustrating.

Ah well moaning won't make anything better, I shall just keep on with aqua and swimming and stick to the diet and hopefully the weight will go and I will recapture some kind of fitness.

Well I had a really disturbed night last night and only managed 5 hours kip (i know, my Kifit displayed it in graph format lol! sometimes you can have too much data!) DD kept having bad dreams and waking me and darling hubbie was up at 5:30 to get to a meeting a 3 hour drive away. So I am off for an early night. xxxx

Hello, I am back! I am posting under a new account for a new start, under the name If at first..
It's 5 years since I started LL/Exante, and I regained all but a few pounds of what I lost :(
I have returned to see if I can do this again but keep it off this time:
1st July 09 and 20 April 2010.jpg
I'll not be posting here anymore, all my latest musings will be over at If at first..

Back