People's neg comments about CD?

louiser

Trying very hard!
Hiya,

I'm sure you're sick of threads like this but some things have got me a bit worried so I just wanted to talk about them with people who understand.

Now, I know that I see people on here who have lost weight with CD and are now maintaining.
I do worry about maintaining but I figure if I have gone through 7 months of CD and am happy to be slim I will be prepared to put in the effort to maintain.

I have not bothered to tell many people that I am doing with the diet as I figured its not anyones business and I only seem to get negative comments about it.

Someone asked if I was slimming as they thought they saw a difference in my face, I said yes so they asked what I was doing. I asked them if they'd heard of the cambridge diet only to hear her tell me about her friends who did it and lost a lot of weight but put it all on again and were also made really ill.

I know the answer to the illness thing, I now am having more vitamins and minerals than I was ever having before and I know that done right the diet will not "make you ill"

What I do worry about is the amount of people who say the weight will all come back on. Also I see some people on the boards that are 're-doing' the diet as they have put the weight back on.
I have done WW and SW and both times put the weight back on, I dont blame the diet for this I blame myself for reverting back to the old habits I had before.

Are you more likely to put the weight back on after doing a VLCD? Is it a case that no matter how hard you try because you've done a VLCD the weights likely to come back on when you start eating 'normal' food?

For anyone thats in the maintaining stage, is it a constant battle or is it the same as maintaining weight loss after any diet programme?

Sorry for all the questions, you know when sometimes something just gets to you and as good as you feel you can't help worrying your doing the wrong thing!

Louise xx

I don;t know as only starting CD! but if you read people will admitt to going back to old habits after cd and this is what puts the weight back on!! This is one of the reasons I went for cd beacuse of the 'after plan'

I did sw lost 3 stons and put all on and more because I ate want I wanted without excersie 3 years ago, only now have I got my head round doing another 'diet'

But I am looking at it as a lifestyle change now

just a little question, how do you put a ticker on your profile? thanks christine
Hiya,

I'm sure you're sick of threads like this but some things have got me a bit worried so I just wanted to talk about them with people who understand.

Now, I know that I see people on here who have lost weight with CD and are now maintaining.
I do worry about maintaining but I figure if I have gone through 7 months of CD and am happy to be slim I will be prepared to put in the effort to maintain.

I have not bothered to tell many people that I am doing with the diet as I figured its not anyones business and I only seem to get negative comments about it.

Someone asked if I was slimming as they thought they saw a difference in my face, I said yes so they asked what I was doing. I asked them if they'd heard of the cambridge diet only to hear her tell me about her friends who did it and lost a lot of weight but put it all on again and were also made really ill.

I know the answer to the illness thing, I now am having more vitamins and minerals than I was ever having before and I know that done right the diet will not "make you ill"

What I do worry about is the amount of people who say the weight will all come back on. Also I see some people on the boards that are 're-doing' the diet as they have put the weight back on.
I have done WW and SW and both times put the weight back on, I dont blame the diet for this I blame myself for reverting back to the old habits I had before.

Are you more likely to put the weight back on after doing a VLCD? Is it a case that no matter how hard you try because you've done a VLCD the weights likely to come back on when you start eating 'normal' food?

For anyone thats in the maintaining stage, is it a constant battle or is it the same as maintaining weight loss after any diet programme?

Sorry for all the questions, you know when sometimes something just gets to you and as good as you feel you can't help worrying your doing the wrong thing!

Louise xx

Whether you put the weight back on depends how you view the diet I think. Do you view it as a quick fix so you can lose some weight quickly and expect to be able to go back to you old ways when your at goal? or do you understand that its a lifestyle change as well as a diet?

If its the latter, and your committed to losing and then maintaining your weight loss, then I believe the weight will stay off.....

As for the diet being 'unsafe', surely your Dr would never have approved and signed to allow you to go ahead if it was unsafe?

I wouldnt have thought so. I know some people may have had ba experiences for one reason or another, but you just have to read the success stories on this forum to see how great the diet can be...

Anyway, rant over....

Catx

hi i lost just over 3 stone in 4 ish months finished about Xmas time, i have struggled to get back into the cd zone, so stopped and had a good look at myself etc, realised that i am now buying a size 12/10 and to be honest do i need to be any smaller the answer is no, i could do with toning up but thats just excersize, i didnt get to my goal weight of 10 stone stopped at 11, but that last stone would not make any difference to the way i feel today, if anything it would make my bones stick out etc and at the this moment in my life im for once happy with my weight.

I am maintaining my loss i know its only been 3 weeks, but i have got through a heavy xmas and new year, im having one meal a day and a shake for breakfast, probably not eating enough meals etc, but im happy, and thats the key, what makes you happy.. and yes its the same as any other diet, but what i found is that after abstaining from food for a long while, you realise why you were as big as you were before ie, eating the wrong things etc, but with cd, you will realise how difficult it can get and trust me once you lose the weight you will not want to try to lose it again, and again and again

I have also been worrying about maintaining after CD has fnished (which is such a long way off!) and i intend to try the Paul McKenna weight loss system, which is basically common sense and reprogramming the way you think about food so i'm hoping this will work for me x

Thanks to you all for your replies,

I am definatly in this for the future, although I want the weight off quick I know that when I'm done maintaining will be something thats done for the rest of my life.

I understand the maintaining will be hard and require dedication its just that by listening to 'friends' it seems that just being in the same room as a jacket potato will put a stone on due to the carbs!

I guess what I was really worrying about is, although I know maintaining will be hard, very hard at times, even when at goal and eating the 1500 - 2000 kal a day will I find weight pilling back on!

I dont want to have an un-realistic goal, I first thought 11st would be something to aim for but I asked my sister her weight (she's 6ft 1!) which was 13st and about a size 12-14.
Based on that I was thinking of a goal at 12st (I'm 5ft 11") would be better and easier to maintain.
I would like to be a size 12-14 so my goal might change a bit when I get there. Being so tall I dont want to look too 'beanpole' like (if that would ever happen anyway!)

Thank you for taking the time to read through my ramblings! I'm only new and very excited but also a bit scared of everything at the same time!

maintaining weight

I have put on about 1.5 stone since coming off CD last year - nothing to do with CD - but because i went back to my old habits.
Its not how you lose the weight that dictates whether you put it back on. Once the weight is off its gone - its not hiding ready to jump back on the minute you put a morsel of food in your mush! It WILL go back on if you eat more calories than your body requires which is how we all got here in the first place.
I get mad at people who condemn this diet as unhealthy. When i'm on CD my skin glows, i have more energy and i don't feel bloated. Being overweight is UNHEALTHY trying to lose it is not. So i'm trying to get the weight back off before i'm back at square one.
I think the problem for most of us is we have a problem trying to control our food intake. We don't eat because we are hungry but because we like to eat. I have resigned myself to the fact that i have this problem and will for the rest of my life - i just must try to control it and there is no easy answer. CD works for me as it takes away the choice. I can't have food in moderation so not having it at all is an easier option for me, CD is the diet that works for me. Once the weights off there is still no miracle going to happen so once i get on real food again i will restart my battle with controling it!! Happy days:(

Shazzy

If you follow the steps up to maintenance and learn from them and choose to live by them there is no way you will pile the weight back on. I hear people saying that at the step where you eat 1000cal that they find it hard to eat all the food they are supposed to. My CDC said to me that people will need to hold onto that feeling of being full because if you forget it you may put all the weight back on.

i started CD as i have a lapband which dosnt want to work at the minute!
im going to try and get to goal on CD then have my band filled really tight so i cant eat much, i would be so scared to put all the weight back on so i know how you feel!
x

Hiya,

Louise xx

For what it's worth I have thought long and hard about this journey I have embarked upon and do not see it as just a diet or indeed a quick fix. I am keen to lose the weight as quickly as possible, but more importantly I am keen to keep it off for good because I don't want to continue to harm myself with constant yoyo diets.

Although I am only in my second week I have started to think about life in maintenance and beyond. This for me is a change of lifestyle where food is there to fuel me and not as a substitute for my emotions, stress, joy and anything else. I have already started working on my head and when I come across my triggers I think about how I am and will continue to handle them better in the future.

I want to be healthy, happy and strong and CD is the beginning of that journey not the end. If we exercise and fill our lives with all the great things and people that surround us, then eat only when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Exercise by doing things that you enjoy I am confident that we will keep the majority of what we lose off for good. Afterall would you overfill your petrol tank until it was overflowing on the garage floor and then leave your car there and walk home? So why should be contemplate doing this to ourselves after we have worked so hard on this programme?

Even if our metabolism slows down initially I have faith in this programme especially if it is followed all the way through and we take the trouble to change our relationship with food. Keep the faith and be strong you deserve to be a success and live a healthy life and all that stands in the way of this is your doubt.
SO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF YOU WERE STRONG ENOUGH TO START THIS PROGRAMME SO YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO BE THE PERSON YOU WANT TO BE :gen126:

Reactions: Mat
Hi I think the advice here is fantastic,and I really have nothing to add to the maintenaence part,however,I feel the reason for vlcds is to get you to your goal weight fast,the reason behind this being,most of us will have tried and failed at normal diets which include the healthy eating part before embarking on a vlcd,and the reason we fail is that the weight loss is so slow,and the majority of us have a lot of weight to lose and give up when we dont see the results quickly.We dont learn to eat healthily,that I presume is where maintenence comes in.Yes you are moving up the plans,but ultimatley learning at the same time to eat a healthy balanced diet for life.It is us and only us who are responsible for maintaining these new habits in order to make all the hard work to get us there worth while
xx

Reactions: KD
.Yes you are moving up the plans,but ultimatley learning at the same time to eat a healthy balanced diet for life.It is us and only us who are responsible for maintaining these new habits in order to make all the hard work to get us there worth while
xx

Well said :)

I think moving up the plans is really important. It the part of the diet when we do what people criticise the diet for not doing IYKWIM....learning to eat healthily...learning new eating habits.

But also one other thing (again, what people misunderstand about the diet).........

A VLCD will lower your metabolism. Every diet lowers your metabolism. Even if you just do the eating healthily. You reduce your calories (which is the only way to lose weight) and your metabolism will start going down.

It goes down a little more for a VLCD, but goes back up in a controlled manner when do the plans.

I would like to rename the steps up to

Metabolic Raising Steps.

Think more people would see the importance of it and do it if it was called that :cool:

KD what you've made makes perfect sense. If we do not go through maintenance then our metabolic rate is low so we gain back the weight despite the fact that we might be eating correctly? Wouldn't the body readjust to the higher calorie intake though?

KD what you've made makes perfect sense. If we do not go through maintenance then our metabolic rate is low so we gain back the weight despite the fact that we might be eating correctly?

Yes, you could easily gain weight. Probably not all of it, depends on your levels of calories and carbs.

Wouldn't the body readjust to the higher calorie intake though?
It would eventually, but you could gain weight in the process.

When you increase your calorie intake, your metabolism will gradually rise. When you increase your carbs, your water weight will rise.

Both necessary. The trick is to do it in such a controlled manner that you get both without a raise on the scales.

That's where the steps come in.

If it was spammed as

Metobolic Raising Plan:

After years of research, we have perfected the formula of raising your metabolism and glycogen levels after a VLCD without gaining weight!!!! Click here for our exciting news Clicky clicky.

I reckon more people would go for it ;)

i did ww in 2001 and lost 3st in about 3mths, was walking like mad. I regained it all.

then 2007 i started Cambridge, lost just over 4 stone and kept it off till xmas 2008 when i gained 8lbs which now has gone and am lower than before, so although i gained it was the normal gaining at xmas that most people do in life.

and there are tons of people who have kept the weight off for years.

thing is, if you go back to old habits then yes you will gain but the key is being good 80% and naughty 20% its all about balance

What a great thread. :) KD I can see how the different name would help. It's relevant to ending the diet as much as maintenance at goal.
When I left CD before I switched straight back onto a 'normal' diet.

I have always thought the calorie content of 2000 is right for a woman and that's stuck in my mind.. I watched a programme recently where it said that it's not a one size fits all scenario. That 2000 cals may be ok for a woman of 5'10" or so.. but for a 5'3" it would be lower... It really set a bell off in my head, that maintenance is there to help you figure out your calorie intake before you gain weight.. and that I NEED to figure this out for the rest of my life.
Also had the realisation of just how short 5'3" is.. I know that sounds silly but when you see a doorframe you imagine people going through it.. then to see the height of ME on that doorframe really surprised me as to how short I am!! Stupid I know given that I'm 37 now, but am going to keep both of these facts in my mind. I don't yet know what my personal calorie 'allowance' is on a normal diet, but I do feel it will greatly help when I know it.. forever. :) I do watch calories on food (and carbs) but have never been able to understand even when I'm good why I don't lose weight.. now I am beginning to understand more.

Anyway.. to get back to the point, it's not the diet (or any diet) that has faults.. it's our mind when we get off a diet. We have to stay strong forever. And see food for what it is.

((Hugs)) here's hoping we all remember this thread for the rest of our lives!

Reactions: Mat
What a great thread. :) KD I can see how the different name would help. It's relevant to ending the diet as much as maintenance at goal.
When I left CD before I switched straight back onto a 'normal' diet.

I have always thought the calorie content of 2000 is right for a woman and that's stuck in my mind.. I watched a programme recently where it said that it's not a one size fits all scenario. That 2000 cals may be ok for a woman of 5'10" or so.. but for a 5'3" it would be lower... It really set a bell off in my head, that maintenance is there to help you figure out your calorie intake before you gain weight.. and that I NEED to figure this out for the rest of my life.
Also had the realisation of just how short 5'3" is.. I know that sounds silly but when you see a doorframe you imagine people going through it.. then to see the height of ME on that doorframe really surprised me as to how short I am!! Stupid I know given that I'm 37 now, but am going to keep both of these facts in my mind. I don't yet know what my personal calorie 'allowance' is on a normal diet, but I do feel it will greatly help when I know it.. forever. :) I do watch calories on food (and carbs) but have never been able to understand even when I'm good why I don't lose weight.. now I am beginning to understand more.

Anyway.. to get back to the point, it's not the diet (or any diet) that has faults.. it's our mind when we get off a diet. We have to stay strong forever. And see food for what it is.

((Hugs)) here's hoping we all remember this thread for the rest of our lives!

Absolutely spot on PH, the guideline intake of 2000 for a woman has never been changed since it was first introduced many many years ago. It is now believed it is probably too high as our lifestyles have changed and we are generally more sedentary and therefore require less calories.

As you say it will vary from person to person depending on height, weight and level of activity. For me it is around 1650, I'm 5ft 1 and lazy!

xx

Porgeous love the dress!

PH life is all about learning and you have learnt something very valuable for when your journey ends. Porgeous i am 5ft7 and 1400 - 1600 is good for me and I go to the gym so I really think you must do the steps correctly and dont rush. Look at you you have done so well now for a while and are inspirational to us all.

PH good luck darl.

Bren
X

Back