Perfect - my internal self destruction button has been pressed!!

lexi30

Hi all,
I'm sure if you see my other posts you will know that I am being weighed in at the drs once a month in the hope that's will be able to lose the 5 stone that's been hanging over my head (or waist) for far too long.

Started off well 17lb in 2 months, had a week off work last week so the eating pattern went a bit off track, but I didn't go totally mental. Then this week back at work (which means walking 30 mins everyday) I have tried t get back 100% but then I have sat here and eaten 2 Freddo's - I am not even hungry!!!!!

This is something I do with every diet I do - after a period of time I hit my destruct button and start acting like a twat (sorry for the language) how can I stop myself sabotaging myself like this?!?

I know what I want and what I need to do to get there, I'm not stupid. But it seems I have a switch in my head that wants me to fail.

help me!!!!

Hi Lexi30, for starters STOP PUNISHING YOURSELF!!!

Did you already have them at work or did you buy them in a moment of weakness? If it's the latter then stop taking your purse out! You can't impulse buy if you've not got the means.

If this isn't an option or some sabotaging toss pot offered you the Freddos find some photos of yourself pre-weight or an image related to your goal and put them EVERYWHERE. On your monitor at work, in your desk drawer, in your purse so you see it before you spend, on the fridge etc etc.

Also, did you congratulate yourself when you lost your first stone? It's a big deal, you should do and then begin planning what you are going to do when you reach your next stone (making sure it's not food related).

I swear by tracking ALL my food intake on myfitnesspal.com, it forces me to really think before I stuff my face.

Good luck, chin up and keep in touch. Let us know how you get on. x

Sent from my iPad

danismell
you took the words out of my mouth is it someone trying to sabotage like they did me till i thought sod this i have my own mind i need so no i took a pic of the old me and put it on my phone then on of me know to see how far i have come and it stops me ok not everytime but nearly everytime i also write all my food on my fitness pal
lexi yu are going to do it you really or its just bad habits we have got into and its hard for us to kick them but you will take some fruit with you not the choclate then if you do need to munch least its good food good luck with your journey i know how hard it is xxx

Thanks both of you, it helped to have another viewpoint.

I have woken up this morning feeling much better, taken the dog for a 20 min walk, then walked to walk (another 10min) so I feel that I have started the day right. I have planned for lunch and tea - so we shall see what happens.

I think I need to have a clear goal in mind but at the moment I don't. So I need a target to aim for - be it a size 12 dress or a certain weight. Any suggestions?

I don't think I really did appreciate that 1st stone, don't get me wrong I was really happy but I don't think I saw it as much as of an achievement. I was
too busy looking forward to the next milestone.

I have 16 days to the next dr weigh in and hopefully it will be a loss of another 7lb.

Fingers crossed and thanks again x

Hi Lexi, glad you are feeling better today. I find with goals breaking it down helps, so maybe set yourself the next 5 / 10 lbs off as a start and do it in small steps from there. I honestly think you have to keep in mind that as long as the trend is downward overall, don't get too hung up on the numbers or how fast/slow they move.

Two freddos is not the end of the world ! Sustainable weightloss is lifestyle change and if its going to be part of your life you should be flexible and enjoy things not strict and punish yourself for "failings". Its thinking in those extreme terms that often makes people yo yo - going from super strict to the point that they snap and go on all out binge.

My Fitness Pal is a god send! You can have chocolate and adjust the rest of your day but more veg less carbs for instance. Or if you have a higher cal day than planned, then adjust the rest of your week. You can do it! If you find it hard to stop once you have had a nibble of chocolate than Chezz's suggestion of having fruit instead is a good one.

Good luck, have a good day!

I've just had another brain wave Lexi30. When I was at SW a woman suggested that if you have a sweet tooth, slice a banana and dip the slices in mullerlight yoghurt. Put the dipped slices on a sheet of greaseproof paper and put in the freezer, when they are totally frozen peel them off the paper and put them in a bag and back into the freezer. Then, when you get a sweetie attack, just take one or two slices out of the bag. Because they are frozen they take longer to eat and also taste super sweet. x
Mmmmmn, might try this myself actually. ;)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support.
Today has been a good day and even after my tea (according to mfp) I have over 300 calories left.

i am going to still try an up the amount of walking I do, ESP at the weekends. I just want to do well.

Another question - would you weigh yourself to assess the damage of a week off or just gve it the 100% and see what the weigh in brings??

It would be impossible to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. That's not sustainable and that's not changing your lifestyle. That's why I have failed for the past ten years!

Dont be hard on yourself. Beating yourself up is the worst thing you can do. Just try and examine why you had the freddos (my treat of choice too!) and if its not something you want to allow yourself, try and look out for the same trigger in the future. Like, we're you nervous about gong back to work etc?

Im trying to learn to be really forgiving to myself because its the only way I will be able to forgive my slip ups, instead of thinking 'oh f&£k it' and ordering a takeaway to go with the freddo!

good luck xx

I think because I allowed myself that week off I somehow adjusted my brain back to its old ways. Like having cider in an evening.
The reasoning for the Freddo's was boredom - was watching tv and before I knew it I had eaten them both!!!!

like I said I have until 23rd August to put it right and at least lose something or possibly lose the weight I put on last week! It's like I've gone from having to lose 6lb (dr suggestion) to losing 10lb cos I eat too much!!!!

im so mad at myself!!!'

lexi
another thing i do to is every stone i lose i buy self something not food a bag a pair of earrings something i can keep and say i bought that when i got to such a weight and it makes me want to lose also i have little goals i tried the big goals i failed before i even started lololol

good luck love for tomorrow xx

im so mad at myself!!!'

That. That statement there has to stop. You have to disassociate food from feelings of guilt or reward otherwise you're always going to fall into the trap of falling of the wagon of eating a tiny amount of bad thing and then going sod it and going mental.

You ate 2 freddos. It's heardly the end of the world. What's a freddo? Maybe 120 calories? So you ate max 240 extra calories? it takes 3500 to gain a pound... soooo explain to me where the damage is?

That sounds harsh but that's the kind of thinking you need to have. Yes, you do need to address the issue of boredom eating. Find something else to do, or just don't have the food in the house in the first place. But the main thing is to stop beating yourself up over miniscule "failings"

I totally agree with Stack here.

Though I would say that you should weigh yourself, just to see how the land lies. If you avoid weighing yourself then you are hiding from the truth. Use it as a springboard not a way to bash yourself. Once you know exactly how much you weigh then you can set yourself another achievable goal, when I say achievable you should also stretch yourself or you'll get comfy....which could lead to more Freddos (oh, the horror!!! :eek:). x

Second good day in a row, managed to stay below my calories without feeling like I am missing out.

I think my issue was not just the Freddo's (they were the last straw) I think I was upset/worried that in the week off I had ruined the work I had done in the 8 weeks before.

but thanks to all of your kind words and support I feel like I'm in the right place again.

I intend to weigh myself in the morning - I will keep you posted!!!! Xx

hi lexi
glad to hear you are on the right road again love good on you x x

I did the dreaded weigh in and wasn't as bad as I thought, a mere 2lb which I should be able to lose before the doctors.

I started the day with breakfast and a 40 min walk with the doggy :)

I feel more positive but I also know there will be days when I won't be perfect.

Thanks for your kind words an support xxx it means a lot

your more than welcome lexi x

Back