Performance enhancing drinks/bars and Slimming World?

Laddiesboy

I ♥ Slimming World :)
Hi all

I have been slowly building up my exercise routines over the months, and am now cycling over 30 miles and jogging over 8 miles at a time. Not on the same day though :)

I stopped off in the middle of a long jog last night and picked up a Mars bar and a lucozade as I was feeling really empty. Of course, they did the trick and I powered on home with no problems.

The only problem is that working out the syns it comes to 21 for the both!!

So here is my problem ... I want to carry on training, harder and harder as I get fitter. But I am struggling to find something to help boost me that doesn't take me over my syns!

SW and such hard training I don't think make very good bedfellows but there must be a way of making the best choices as I can along the way? The results of each compliment one another so they shouldn't be at loggerheads with each other.

It is a shame that I can't generate any extra syns, which I can use specifically for this purpose.

I just picked up a tub of "Go Electrolyte" 'sports fuel' which is basically blackcurrant flavoured powder which mixes with water to give you something I guess similar to a lucozade but better results. But checking the syns one bottle worth would cost me 15 syns!! And that is just for one bottle on my bike - I would have a bottle in advance and another on the ride so that is 30 syns!!

And I also picked up a "Go bar" which works out at 11 syns!! Marginally better than the 14 syn mars bar and I guess much better at what it does, but OMG that's a lot of syns just for that.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Really don't wanna come off SW for any reason, but struggling to find a way to stay within syns :(

Thanks in advance

I have really upped my exercise recently and have been slowly adapting the SW plan to include extras to help with the building of muscle.

I don't really go for the 'high energy' products but have defo introduced a lot more 'good fat' like nuts, avacados and olive oil- I generally use my syns on these now.

Some muscle friendly protein snacks that I have post-workout are (and these are recommended by 'Womens Health'- I am sure if you look at the 'Mens Health' website you will find similar ideas):
Houmous with veg
boiled eggs
almonds (28g = 8.5 syns but VERY good for you)
Greek yogurt
Pineapple with chopped walnuts
HEX B bread with 1 level tablespoon peanut butter (4.5) and sliced banana
sliced turkey

xxx

Ok when I was dance student often starting my day with a 7am swim then all day in the studio then clubbing on a night there was a wonderful energy bar came in a yellow packet called a banana.

Personally I'd have a bit of fruit and a high fibre bar topped off with a sugar free drink or a small carton of milk Morrison's sell 250ml bottles

Best of all not a syn in sight

I'd go for the sugar free lucozade or sugar free 'red bull' type drinks. They will have to be synned, but will have far less syns than full sugar ones. Also, bananas (as someone above said) are great for athletes. They keep your energy levels up & are full of nutrients essential for when you're exercising.

First and foremost, if you feel like you need to stop and get a Mars bar DURING your run, you need to slow down. Physically, there is no reason to have that little energy. As you are running 8 miles, you will have more than enough glycogen in your muscles to keep going, there is no way you are coming close to hitting the wall.

Edit: SW doesn't have syns on energy gels, but I'd imagine they are very high in syns. Jelly babies, 1 syn each, can eat them and run and they will provide a short term boost, though psychological more than anything really.

Afterwards though it is important to replace the salts you loose if you have sweated a lot. If you drink water but don't restore the electrolytes you will feel pretty sick. I am using Lucozade light at the moment, which although is a hypotonic, not an isotonic, it seems pretty good for middle distances.

Bananas are good afterwards, good hit of sugar and carbs. Runners also enjoy either chocolate milk or protein powder afterwards but unless you want to save your syns for these (and protein powder I have not found syns for) then a banana and lucozade light will have to do :p

Plan meals as well. If I haven't made dinner before I go for a run then there isn't a hope I'll be making it after. Have it ready so you can eat soon afterwards to start recovery.

I run a lot..any questions just ask :)

Thanks for all your replies, I have already learned so much!!

JemmaBe, you refer to after the run but what about before and during? Anything? Is water, or a no added sugar (syn free) squash ok for the jog itself just to keep me topped up? When you are running do you eat anything on the run or just afterward?

And what is your routine beforehand?

Sorry to be such a noob but this is all very new to me and if there is something I am meant to be doing or could be doing I would love to know all I can haha

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Red Bull Co Ltd Red Bull Stimulation Drink, Sugar Free 100ml[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Red Bull Co Ltd Red Bull Sugar Free Energy Shot 60ml shot[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Tesco Diet Kick Stimulation Drink 100ml[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [/FONT]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​
They are just some of the substitutions you could make for your Lucozade. You could also look at supplements as well as eating plenty of fruit and vegetables.
[/FONT]

Thanks for all your replies, I have already learned so much!!

JemmaBe, you refer to after the run but what about before and during? Anything? Is water, or a no added sugar (syn free) squash ok for the jog itself just to keep me topped up? When you are running do you eat anything on the run or just afterward?

And what is your routine beforehand?

Sorry to be such a noob but this is all very new to me and if there is something I am meant to be doing or could be doing I would love to know all I can haha

Before I just drink water. Lots the day before, a little in the morning before a race at 10/11 and literally a few sips before I start. If it's less than 10k (6miles) I won't drink anything during, it isn't worth the hassle of stopping and I hate the feeling of having water sloshing in my stomach as I run. Drinking no added sugar squash would only have the benefit of tasting nice, nothing performance enhancing about it. I don't eat anything during the run either, not during Half Marathon distance (13.1 miles) either, I find it much better to persevere and sit still afterwards and eat. Some people take energy gels or eat jelly babies during a half marathon, about 45mins in, but it isn't particularly necessary.

Before, I very naughtily eat a big bowl of shreddies. I tried porridge, I tried weetabix, but nothing cut the mustard quite like shreddies. I think it's the sugar as well as carbs. Wait 2hours before running to avoid cramps.

Afterwards I like pasta and reduced fat pesto. because it's quick and works fast. At a race I was at the other week they were giving out Jelly Babies after the race, so perhaps that has some grounding with sugar, but I never found sugar to help much afterwards.

Slimming world is generally compatible with running, being able to eat lots of lean protein and carbs, but the cereal and bread aspect really gets me, so I generally ignore it in favour of running, but you can use your HEs and syns on it so it can work.

I don't think taking red bull afterwards is beneficial at ALL. You do not want anything to speed up your heart rate after you have been running where it will be high anyway. Also, offers no recovery benefits and is gassy and bleh. Lucozade light (electrolytes) or water only I think.

And lastly, congratulations on running 8miles. Running is fantastic, and will (if it doesn't already) make you feel so good! and definitely definitely helps with weight loss if you are able to run 8 miles (about 800 calories burnt) without over compensating by eating sugary food during or after.

I doubt the low or no sugar drinks are going to give you an energy boost - they are just flavourings and sweeteners.

My dad swears by cereal bars (B choices for you) and bananas. I honestly think bananas are the best. When out running I would never eat and I carry only water. On a long cycle ride I can see the need for energy snacks - hence the banana and a cereal bar.

Why not have a chat with your consultant to see if you can have more?

Back