phobias

juicygooseface

♥juicy♥
hey guys i thought it would be interesting to find out peoples phobias. theres a difference between being scared of something and having a phobia but both the results are also interesting so just post if u feel like u want to!

ill start ..

my phobias are spiders and water

with spiders i will just scream and flap around crazily and for some reason take my clothes off?? haha i think its the feeling like its on me! for example one time on holiday there was a spider on my skirt and i literally screamed running down the campsite taking all my clothes off LOL

and water is not water as in tap water but like deep open water, swimming pools are ok if the bottom of the pool is light and u can see everything - tho i still dont like it very much! its more like the sea and ponds and canal's - i just freeze and my body shivers its horrible!

xxxxx

Apparently it's 'misophonia'. Ok, mine is weird, I can't stand people eating their food loudly. I don't just mean it annoys me, it sends me in to a tailspin. It's not limited solely to 'eating' but 'slurping' drinks or even just making 'weird', 'wet' noises with their mouth.

I can't sit anywhere near my stepdad or sister when they eat...I can't count how many times I've cried and had to leave the table, it makes me feel really weird like I genuinely could scream and shout about it. It's not so bad in restaurants where they play music so I can't hear them but in the house it destroys me. My mum doesn't have a problem with it and often asks how I even hear it but I must just be particularly 'sensitive' to it.

Apparently it's 'misophonia'. Ok, mine is weird, I can't stand people eating their food loudly. I don't just mean it annoys me, it sends me in to a tailspin. It's not limited solely to 'eating' but 'slurping' drinks or even just making 'weird', 'wet' noises with their mouth.

I can't sit anywhere near my stepdad or sister when they eat...I can't count how many times I've cried and had to leave the table, it makes me feel really weird like I genuinely could scream and shout about it. It's not so bad in restaurants where they play music so I can't hear them but in the house it destroys me. My mum doesn't have a problem with it and often asks how I even hear it but I must just be particularly 'sensitive' to it.

omg i fully know what u mean, i mean it makes me so mad when i hear people making noises with their mouths too - even talking, so god knows how u must feel having it as a phobia u poor thing :(

i have tried looking at what phobia i have but it comes up with loads of different ones for different aspects, like one phobia for lakes, one phobis for the sea, one phobia for canal's etc! xxx

juicygooseface said:
hey guys i thought it would be interesting to find out peoples phobias. theres a difference between being scared of something and having a phobia but both the results are also interesting so just post if u feel like u want to!

ill start ..

my phobias are spiders and water

with spiders i will just scream and flap around crazily and for some reason take my clothes off?? haha i think its the feeling like its on me! for example one time on holiday there was a spider on my skirt and i literally screamed running down the campsite taking all my clothes off LOL

and water is not water as in tap water but like deep open water, swimming pools are ok if the bottom of the pool is light and u can see everything - tho i still dont like it very much! its more like the sea and ponds and canal's - i just freeze and my body shivers its horrible!

xxxxx

Oh gosh I hate dark water majorly scary :S

My husband screams like a big girl if a small person come on the tv or if he sees one mainly men (dwarves)hope that is spelt right. It comes from Ken Dodd and his diddy men his nan used to frighten him with the little people if he didnt do as he was told. He has some weird way LOL

peggypig said:
My husband screams like a big girl if a small person come on the tv or if he sees one mainly men (dwarves)hope that is spelt right. It comes from Ken Dodd and his diddy men his nan used to frighten him with the little people if he didnt do as he was told. He has some weird way LOL

Oh dear that could be really embarrassing/awkward :S

I don't like sounds of people eating either though wouldn't have thought of it as a phobia I wouldn't run off screaming I don't think but have made excuses and left the table and made it look like am doing something else, its not necessarily loud noises sometimes if someone eats really carefully and makes tiny noises that sets me on edge too. I hate being like it and can nag at the family sometimes when really don't want to :(
Heights also bother me and that can affect me when am out and about with the family too. When I took my son to the museum in the hols I was stressing because there was a balcony bit and my son kept looking over and though he would have had to really climb up to fall over it I was crapping myself!

I used to be phobic of Spiders but I actually talked myself out of it over a few years, because I didn't fancy going to the psychiatrist! When it was bad I couldn't open windows, slept with the light on etc.

Now I'm really bad with 'edges' if anyone goes near an edge they can fall over I get panicky! At the train station I have to fight myself not to wrestle people away from the edge! Films like Cliffhanger make me sick, and even Monsters Inc had me squealing ( the door scene). I think it's a form of fear of heights.

I also shudder at the sight of Rabbits! * shuddered writing that*
Oh and cannot touch or be in the same room as someone touching polystyrene! Not really a phobia just an aversion.

Can't swim so it's sensible to be scared of water!

*Emsie* said:
Thats what my heights thing is like with the edges! Even though its very unlikely that the fall will happen it makes me panicky :confused:

I even got that tummy turning over thing when on an open top bus and was using the camera, like if it fell over my son would too? But I can go to an edge... Just cannot watch anyone else !

I even got that tummy turning over thing when on an open top bus and was using the camera, like if it fell over my son would too? But I can go to an edge... Just cannot watch anyone else !

Yes thats like me! You are describing how I feel better than have been able to explain it myself I just say afraid of heights but know its not fully that! It started after going walking in the malvern hills when my youngest was little and he was unpredictable and I was scared he was going to fall even though he had reins on :eek:
When we were away earlier in the month I wouldn't go and walk along the peir thing with hubby and kids because I knew they would want to look over the edge and I would be panicking! But I would have actually liked to have gone myself! :confused:

I feel ya, I have cried left the room and been sick. I am hyposensative to noise anyway due to a disability but also got so mad and had rows over the noise of someone eating!!!

Not a phobia but the eating thing for me too. I feel so angry with people when they eat and make a noise . The amount of times I have moved seats on the bus/train when people are chewing especially the sound of a boiled sweet being moved around the mouth makes me want to shake them !!!

jilly said:
Not a phobia but the eating thing for me too. I feel so angry with people when they eat and make a noise . The amount of times I have moved seats on the bus/train when people are chewing especially the sound of a boiled sweet being moved around the mouth makes me want to shake them !!!

I've had to switch off to this since doing support work!

Not really a phobia (and it's getting better), but feet make me panic. I can cope with the fact that I have feet - but if people start talking about feet, or worse, start playing with their feet near me, I really freak out! They're disgusting!

I'd agree with the noisy eating. And my real bug bear - people chewing gum. I actually leave the room which can be very awkward in my job, I'm just not brave enough to tell them to get rid of it. (the adults that is, not the kids).

gentoo/aptenny

im scared of snakes any creepy crawly type bugs but not ladybirds wasps bees mainly slugs worms snails that bother me cant stand frogs am scared they will jump on me lol. im scared of heights i get that whole spinning\dizzy sensation and feel sick and the edge thing bothers me too mainly for my kids though.
i think i may have a fear or death
i get the foot thing too im not scared of them but the thought of them touching me or someone else touching them is disgusting and makes me want to heave. funnily though baby feet are cute and my son is 7 and yesterday was the first time they actually made me gag.theres lots of things i dont like and wouldnt want to touch me but not necessarily scared of and i get very irritable with people tapping tnings or whistling makes me want to rip my ears off.

PrincessPink-x said:
im scared of snakes any creepy crawly type bugs but not ladybirds wasps bees mainly slugs worms snails that bother me cant stand frogs am scared they will jump on me lol. im scared of heights i get that whole spinning\dizzy sensation and feel sick and the edge thing bothers me too mainly for my kids though.
i think i may have a fear or death
i get the foot thing too im not scared of them but the thought of them touching me or someone else touching them is disgusting and makes me want to heave. funnily though baby feet are cute and my son is 7 and yesterday was the first time they actually made me gag.theres lots of things i dont like and wouldnt want to touch me but not necessarily scared of and i get very irritable with people tapping tnings or whistling makes me want to rip my ears off.

Oh I hate snails and ladybirds *shudder*

Back