pick a damn size clothes shops!

sumayyah

please try again
well i got bored today so decided to try on clothes

for a mad laugh i got out the box of size 20's to see how far off they are from fitting ..... all but 2 tops fitted beautifully

so why then do i have several size 22/24 tops from evans that are too tight still?

wondered if it was evans making thier clothes on the tight size ( but why ) and then i realised one of the size 20 tops that is a bit baggy is an evans top

i was going through my wardrobe yesterday and some tops were a size 16 and looked huge and some others were a size 18 and a lot smaller :confused:
bought a pair of jeans a couple of weeks ago from tesco, slim leg ones, got a 14 which is more or less what i am and had to change them for a 12, already had some other pants from tesco and 14 is fine.
its certainly strange how stuff from the same shops are different but i put it down to the manufacturer not the retailer

There is a HUGE debate about sizing at the moment- most shops have a policy of vanity sizing - less expensive brands tend to size their clothing a little larger than standard, where as designer or top end labels cut their sizes smaller to make them (allegedly) more desirable. I think the only place now that keeps it's sizes a standard that I have always trusted is Marks and Spencer, and I don't buy clothes there really, just tights!
You will find also true jeans sizes in H&M where they sell jeans by waist measurement, which is good for a very inexpensive shop.
Vanity sizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it ias crazy .. i am getting married in august and went looking at dresses yesterday just to get ideas of style etc .. I tried some on from the debenhams Debut range ( I am not having traditional ivory .. I want a deep purple dress and they have some lovely ones :) ... well I tried 2 on , from the same range , both in size 16 ( woo hoo was a 24 not long ago :) ... one fit perfectly and the other was an inch off fastening .. its mad that even in the same range there is a difference .. it is time this was addressed ... shoes are all standard sizes .. why arent clothes ????

I have this problem with leg lenghts in jeans and trousers, some makers 29ins is great some 29ers are to short:confused:

i think a lot of it is also where they are cut from. they pile the material up and the machine cuts it. if it on the top of the pile it is slightly bigger than if it is on the bottom of the pile.

there is a large difference in sizes though. last time on cd i was a 12/14 yet still had to buy size 16 next jeans and just belt them in somewhat. crazy.

p.s my aunt, who is a designer, when at university was paid (pennies) by mary quant to cut the fabric for her designs and make the clothes up, they had to make e.g 10 out a the material. some naughty students used to cut them ever so slightly smaller so that there was material left over for them to make up their own tops/bottoms etc. so they got 11 out of the material.

Back