Green Day Picnic Food Ideas?

HollyM

I am planning on a picnic for Sunday - does anyone have any low-syn recipies suitable for a green day and that would be OK in a cool bag for a couple of hours?

homemade potato salad and coleslaw

boiled eggs

Ryvita minis and brown bread rolls as HEB

Carrot & celerey stick with homemade hummus and salsa

pasta salad

I love this (and in fact, I'm making some today. Mixed with couscous is lovely!) and FREE!

Black Bean Salad

Free on Green!

1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can sweetcorn with red & green peppers, drained
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate. I left mine overnight to let the flavours develop. It was sooo good! I mixed it with some couscous and gave it to some friends (who aren't doing SW) and they loved it!

You could also use pinto beans or other bean variations but I like it with mexican style beans (ie, pinto or black beans)

Or this is another fave:

Spinach Pasta Salad

Serves 2
1 HEX B + 2 syns per serving on green day

6 oz dried wholemeal fusilli (or whatever pasta you like)
5 oz fresh spinach torn into pieces (or blitzed in the food processor)
1/2 red onion, chopped finely
84g feta, roughly diced (HEX B)
14 black olives, chopped (2 syns)
28g sun dried tomatoes, rehydrated and chopped (1.5 syns)
1/2 cup Kraft fat free Italian dressing
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Method:

1) Cook pasta until al dente. Rinse in cold water and leave to drain.

2) In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the spinach, red onion, feta, olives and tomatoes.

3) Whisk together the salad dressing with the garlic, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Pour over the pasta and toss. Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours and serve chilled.

Quorn sausage rolls.

Take a slice of bread and roll it out really thin. Add a laughing cow extra light cheesey, then place a quorn sausage in the middle and roll from corner to corner so you can see part of the sausage. Brush with egg and cook in the oven till brown. They are nice either hot or cold and even the kids like them.

Black Bean Salad

Free on Green!

1 can black beans, rinsed

That sounds sooo nice I am hungry now! Can you tell me if you cook the beans then let them cool again or can you eat them stright from the tin? ( I know that is a total newbie question but I can not cook for the life of me - worst thing is I was vegan for a year and I don't know the answer to this :p).

And where on earth can you get tinned black beans? I'll have to get some dried ones next time I go to Sainsburys.

^ I found some in tesco in the world cuisine section

Back