"Pitta Breads & Porridge" - My diary

floss

I'v recently become active on this forum and have already found it invaluable. The past few days iv been writing down my food intake which has really helped me, but I think it's time for an online diary too so I can keep track and vent when I need to!

My Past

My dieting started at age 10. I was a completely normal weight but my mothers obsession with hers rubbed off on me. At 11 I became a vegetarian, was bullied at school and had operations on both feet, meaning I started gaining weight. I wasn't huge, but the gain left me incredibly self-conscious. Up until 16 I was always dieting, slimfast proved successful but I hadn't learnt anything so the weight came straight back.
At 16 things changed. I moved away to go to performing arts college. I started severely restricting my calories because I felt so large in dance class. I starved and binged. I was weighed at college and told I was fat and to lose weight which only made things worse! I ended up leaving because I was so unhappy, but the damage was done and from the ages of 17 - 20 I struggled daily with cycles of extreme starvation and binging. My weight yo-yo'd from 9 stone to 12 1/2. My family were on my case constantly about my binging and my weight gain, My dad told me how big I was and how awful I looked. It just made it worse! I longed to be successful at starving, but my brain was too logical to overlook how stupid it was, which is why I could never break the cycle.

When my current boyfriend and I got together I was the weight I am now, living on fruit and protein shakes. I couldnt eat infront of him, I thought he had made a bet to go out with me. Slowly I began to believe he loved me and shared my food issues with him. From then my weight has fluctuated but iv stayed around 10.10. My starving has stopped but my binging hasnt. I struggle daily, even hourly and every day has been a new "diet". My boyfriend is tired of how low my body confidence is and how much is affects my life. I cant show my arms in public, last summer I sweltered in long sleeved tops while he watched, it saddens him.

Which brings me to today. My life has always been geared towards performing arts, but iv realised that I can be something else and still be happy. Pursuing a career that doesn't depend on my looks and my weight is wonderful. Next week I have an interview to study children's nursing, if im successful I could be starting the following week! Iv always dieted, always wanted so badly to be thin. Last weekend my boyfriend said to me, just do it. Write down your food. Do it. I know its not that simple, but I took his advice and this week has been a revelation. I ate too little for a few days, triggered my depression, crashed, talked it all through with my mum and came up with a plan. Yesterday I ate breakfast and lunch, I havnt done that since I was a kid! My energy was amazing. Iv finally realised what I need to do, and that I can do it. It's going to be tough and there will be times when it feels impossible. But it's time for me to really do this properly.

If you have read this you deserve a medal! I didnt expect it to be so long :p

Bring on the journey!

Last edited:
Good luck :) I really hope this works for you!

Day 1 :)

Porridge with soya milk, tea

wholemeal pitta with tuna salad cream, lettuce, melon, grapes, apple

Vegetable soup, grapes, banana, ww yoghurt

I didn't make it to the gym today but had a pretty energetic time at work (im a kids party host) so im not too worried. I can't believe I'v actually made it through the day :D

Well done :)

Hi Floss and welcome to the wondeful world of calorie counting. I'm so glad you have decided to have a diary, I find mine invaluable. I'm sure as time goes on you will realise that alot of us use our diaries for more than just weight loss. I have made so many friends on here since I began way back in June 2011 and I honestly don't know what I would do without them. Seriously!

Your story sounds so sad, I'm so sorry you have had to go through all that. I'm really pleased that you have spoken to your Mum and decided to make this great step.
I never used to eat breakfast before I started ccing, but now I do and I can't go without it. I also find that the more I eat (ie healthy snacks throughout the day) the more I loose.

I really hope you find ccing suits you and I really look forward to reading your diary. Good luck hun :) xxx

Day 2

Tuna pitta, apple, grapes, melon

Tea banana, baked sweet potato, houmous, salad, ww yoghurt

I think my houmous is on the turn...its a little funky! Aside from that today has been okay. Wobbled a bit early evening but just ignored it and pushed through!

Weeellll I had my interview today and was accepted!!! Which means I start my uni course next monday! I'll be commuting into London for 3 months until my accommodation gets sorted so my life is going to get pretty crazy! I took food with me today, am so tired could barely be bothered to cook so my cals are far too low today. Just forced down a yoghurt - poor effort!

Day 3

Porridge, tea

Pitta with houmous and lettuce, apple, banana, grapes

Tea, tomato soup, ww yoghurt

x

I'm feeling brilliant today :) I was extremely tired this morning but couldn't sleep, excitement I think! Yesterday was a crazy day but now I cant stop smiling, I finally feel Im doing something right with my life. It's still getting used to the fact that I'm moving away from performing arts, I thought I would never give up. But it feels good to know ill be doing something amazing and important and helping others. Some of my friends and people who I know from performing dont understand, they think it's a waste and im a failure. I dont see it that way. I'm sad to let it go but im so exited about a new journey, besides I want to study, work hard and have a rewarding career, a family and stability. I dont think I'm strong enough for the rejection, the waiting by the phone...how can I have a family when I dont know if I'll have work next month?!

Anyway, food wise I'm doing really good. I dont know if it's because Iv got a new focus now but it's day 4 binge free, i'm in my routine and im feeling good with lots of energy. I havn't done any "formal" exercise but over the weekend i was jumping about for 2 hours both days with parties, yesterday I walked miles all over london and today iv just washed the car, have dogs to walk and 2 hours cleaning. Im usually someone who says that those things dont count haha but to be honest im happy, Im feeling good and iv got loads of stuff to sort out, I may go to the gym tomorrow I think but I just dont have the focus to jump infront of the tv, I have too much going on in my head! My calories were far too low yesterday, Iv said ill be between 1000 atleast and 1200 max a day, but I just couldnt face anything else I was so tired! Not sure what to have for tea tonight, I'll see when I get home.

Anyway, hope everyone is well. Lots of love! x

Gosh you are doing so well and you helped me too. I have a veggie so I am always look at new things to eat. And I totally forgot how much I love Pitta breads so last night I had a wholemeal pitta bread with cheese and salad for dinner so thanks :)
As for what your doing with your life. Unless your hurting anyone which you aren't its your life to live. Only you can live it, I have many people in my life who tell me how to live but its me who has to live it not them. So you do what makes you happy. I do not live in London but when I commuted, its amazing how much you can walk when your in the city.

Congrats on getting accepted :) sounds like you're doing fab :)

Well, I'm absolutely shattered and feeling very much like i'm craving EVERYTHING! It's been like it all day. I know im not hungry but man my mouth wants to eat!

I think im going to try and get some sleep. Iv just accepted my uni offer so i'm feeling pretty overwhelmed and terrified at the mo!

Day 4

Porridge, tea

Apple

Pitta, tuna/salad cream, lettuce, grapes, melon

Banana, tea

2x quorn sausages, 1/2 tin beans, carrots, ww yoghurt

x

Much better today after my SCRUMPTIOUS dinner last night...was like comfort food :)

I finally got off my bum and did some exercise...good ol' natalie cassidy and her workout dvd...iv done it so many times I can only do it now if im in a good mood :p I had so much energy it was almost easy! I can definitely feel the difference having made sure I ate more yesterday which is goood. Off to work now EURGH only 3 more days of boring cleaning work left then UNIII!!! Im ridiculous, literally jumping about all day because im so excited! No idea what dinner will be tonight, had the usual so far so we'll see :)

Lots of love! x

Okay, I have no bloody idea what is going on but I literally just had to force feed myself in order to get my calories up. I was stuffed before I finished my dinner and I felt like I'd binged after having some fruit and yoghurt because I was so full! I'm so confused!!! I really hope im not calculating my calories wrong, I dont understand how they can be so low and im this full! In fairness I havnt really been hungry all day but still!

Day 5

Wholemeal pitta, tuna, salad cream, lettuce, melon, grapes, tea

Apple, tea

1 egg, 2 egg white veg omelet, salad cream,

Banana, grapes, ww yoghurt

I can't wait to get my first week behind me, 2 more days to go. Im really interested to see if iv lost this first week, Iv never tried to lose weight on above 850 cals before so we'll see, I hope so! x

Hi floss, I've just read your diary through and I've just had to comment, in your first entry I could feel your sadness and desperation of the past, and as your entries have been added you really seem up lifted, energetic and happy! That in itself is fantastic.
When in my teens I worked in the pubs and clubs in my local area and had a right blast, I put myself through college with the help of family, and once I qualified I opened my own salon, I was a hairdresser, beauty therapist, aromatherapist etc and I loved it!! I gave it all up to become a stay at home mum and now I am a driving instructor. All very different and I enjoyed it all, they all brought different things to my life and I wouldn't change any of it. What I am trying to say is, because you are perusing a different path doesn't make you a failure, it will enrich your life.
As far as your eating goes you are doing brilliantly, some days I think we naturally don't feel as hungry as others, if you want to up your cals but don't feel hungry opt for normal cheese instead of diet varieties, same with yoghurts, mayonaise etc.
May be concentrate on eating regularly and healthily rather than focusing on weight loss ( so much easier to say than do )
I wish you every success in your new ventures, healthy living and uni xx
Claire x

It's normal for your tum to take a while to adapt :) you've been either over or under feeding it for years and three healthy meals a day will give it a shock lol. You might also get a bit of *ahem* constipation lol. But it'll settle down!!

Your menus look fine and there's no way your cals are too high!! You just actually can eat a lot of food when it's all good healthy stuff lol.

REALLY hope you get a fab weigh in!! You deserve it!!

mcv - thankyou so much for your post. It's amazing how much support this forum can give and reading that has just brightened up my morning :) I'm definately finding it helpful to focus on not binging, thinking about whether i'm hungry or just craving and knowing that it's okay to be eating throughout the day. Now I just need to hope the food sabotage dreams go away...last night it was huge greasy yorkshire puddings that I binged on...eurgh! Honestly though, thankyou :)

Legomum - thanks for your comment :) I literally checked my calories about 5 times last night I was so confused haha. I guess i'm finding it hard to believe that im okay...I mean im not hungry, I don't feel deprived and I have energy...sounds stupid but it's a revelation for me!

This morning I feel a little nauseous which is weird, I keep thinking about last night's fruit and yoghurt which makes it 10 times worse! I thought it would be yummy but it was horrible together!

lots of love x

Silly little winge:

I only have 16g of porridge left :( mehhh want my brekkie! Iv tried to pad it out with milk but now its like readybrek! hmmmm...I'll add a banana...stupid me grrr!

Yeah i find that cos im eating low cal stuff, its a lot of food to eat! I never bother forcing food down though. Don't see the point. Only eat the calories if im hungry for them

I have to because I know if I dont eat enough ill suffer energy-wise the next day...as I am! So tired :/

Ah i see. Well get things like nuts and seeds to snack on when full. It doesn't fill you up and cos its high calorie, only a few will use up your cals. Also they have a lot of energy too :)

Back