Places you don't want to revisit.

fillymum

synful soul
I have such fantastic memories of Majorca and in particular the coast around Palma Nova.

Our first visit there was in 1964. It was delightful. A tiny, picturesque village with wonderful sandy beaches. There were no proper roads. I remember walking along the cliff tops to other coastal villages.

My last visit was to work there was 10 years later. It had grown but was still lovely. Roads had been put in and the tourist trade was on the up and up.

Recently I saw some T.V. coverage of that coast and no way do I want to go back and replace those lovely images with what it has become.

Is there somewhere you want to preserve in your memories.?

Been to the Turkish Riviera before and would not go back if you'd pay me. 5* hotel, but ended up off sick with food poisioning. :9529:Never felt so ill in my life. Also, I could not stand being stared at in the markets and people trying to drag you into their shops or touch you when walking passed them (and I was appropriately dressed, not half naked! Wonder what they would do if someone would do the same to their sister/daughter/mother).
Plus, the hotel kept our passports for ages - felt a bit uneasy about that.

NEVER AGAIN.

Paris! Such a let down. What a scruffy place - definitely not what it's hyped up to be.

At the risk of upsetting people :eek: Benidorm.

While being stuck in Alicante with my son during the volcano incident last year we went to Benidorm for the day we left after an hour OMG never again.

I know a lot of people who go back a few times a year who say oh I didn't see the real parts, but what I did see means I won't go back.

I would definitely go back to Alicante for the weekend though. Our stay was stressful but we enjoyed our little holiday just the 2 of us and I will always cherish that little holiday with my youngest son.

I would never go back to Istanbul (or anywhere similar). Me and hubby went in February 2008 for our wedding anniversary. It was my first ever time abroad, but luckily it didn't put me off.

I hated that you couldn't just walk into a shop and have a look around without someone pestering you ALL THE TIME!!! We went into the Grand Bizarre, which I had been looking forward to sssoo much and we walked in one side and straight back out the other. We were not left alone for 1 minute.

We spent a bit too much time in the hotel room (not what you are thinking ;)) as we couldn't face going out. We were desperate to get to the airport and back home. I would love to go to Morocco, but I know it would be exactly the same :(

Sadly it would have to be Tunisia for me - for similar reasons to why Hexe and Margery Dawe would not go back to Turkey - food poisoning and when I did go out I was pinched and poked and prodded like fine cattle in an auction!!! Not good!

Yeah there are a few places I have been that I would never revisit - not because of good memories, but because they weren't my cup of tea.

First one is Malia in Crete - went there in 2008 and it was purely 17/18 year olds (which made us feel like Old Age Pensioners) on their first holiday without their mum and dads and quite frankly behaving like complete animals.

I'm all for having fun on holiday and letting your hair down, but there was no excuse for that sort of behaviour. (I don't even want to write on here some of the things we saw!!)

The last holiday I was on in October 2010 was to Gumbet in Turkey, and I wouldn't go back there again because it was a dirty rundown hole (I've been to other parts of Turkey that were great, but Gumbet wasn't one of them)

I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to the hassle you get over there from people trying to sell you things or get you to come into their establishments, I used to not mind it, but last time I was away it really annoyed me.

Tunisia - utter hassle from being a blonde haired woman! or a woman even! I had a fella at the time and he was a big bag of useless over the attention i had from staff, shop keepers etc in the resort. Terrible! He is my ex now - not because of this - but it did highlight what a useless piece of person he was - i mean, look after your lady, non? gah!

Malia - exactly the same as above poster - plus my mates crashed quad bikes and the police are on the 'mafia payroll' in Malia - we had to get the british embassy involved and go to Heraklion for help as the 'heavies' kept trying to find us to pay €4000 for a quad bike the friends had taken ADDITIONAL insurance on. Apparentlty the heavies said that was just an extra fee, and didnt cover the damage! WTF!!! Hell on earth. I cried, and hated every second of that holiday as a result.

x

Barcelona-I have now been twice (I gave it its second chance) but I just dont see what everyone else seems to love about it!

LA-dirty streets full of tattoo parlours

Barcelona-I have now been twice (I gave it its second chance) but I just dont see what everyone else seems to love about it!

LA-dirty streets full of tattoo parlours

I think if you want to give it a third try I have to come and be your guide. I am one of the ones who love the place and do not know how many times I have visited..................

Good job we don't all like the same places we would never get hotel rooms lol !!!

I would say, for exactly the same reason as Filymum, Marmaris, in Turkey. I went in 1993. It was a gorgeous little fishing village. We walked along the cliffs to the next town. Icmeler. It was heaven. We got one of the local fishermen to take us out on his boat for the day. He let us swim off the boat, and barbercued an octopus he caught for tea. The bars were a few shcks along the beach. We went back just the following year, and was already on the change. There was a karaoke bar opened. And alot more proper brick bars around the harbour. I saw it on a holiday programme recently. The harbour was full of stag party booze boats, evey building was a bar, and the building had gone all the way to Icmeler. What a shame. At lest I saw it before we ruined it.

We did the same for Bulgaria in 1998. Spent a week in Pamporovo in the mountains, in the summer. Gorgeous. Then a week on the Black Sea. Lovely and unspoilt. I ahve been told it is very much spoilt now! Why do we do this to places?

Malia - exactly the same as above poster - plus my mates crashed quad bikes and the police are on the 'mafia payroll' in Malia - we had to get the british embassy involved and go to Heraklion for help as the 'heavies' kept trying to find us to pay €4000 for a quad bike the friends had taken ADDITIONAL insurance on. Apparentlty the heavies said that was just an extra fee, and didnt cover the damage! WTF!!! Hell on earth. I cried, and hated every second of that holiday as a result.

x

Yeah, a group staying at our hotel had this happen to them. The quad hire place takes your passport as 'deposit' and apparently one of the lads had a bang on the quad and the hire place started demanding some ridiculous amount of money or NONE of them were getting their passports back.

Not sure how they got out of that predicament, as it happened on our last day.

Poor old Turkey is getting a right bashing haha! personally i love it. ive been to loads of places including Istanbul, Izmir, Mardin, Diyarbakir, Batman and Kusadasi and more! My husband is Kurdish thats why ive been to visit so many places.
One places I didnt like was Marmaris though wouldnt go back again.

soccermom said:
At the risk of upsetting people :eek: Benidorm.

While being stuck in Alicante with my son during the volcano incident last year we went to Benidorm for the day we left after an hour OMG never again.

I know a lot of people who go back a few times a year who say oh I didn't see the real parts, but what I did see means I won't go back.

I would definitely go back to Alicante for the weekend though. Our stay was stressful but we enjoyed our little holiday just the 2 of us and I will always cherish that little holiday with my youngest son.

SO with you on this. OH & i went about 10 yrs ago. Was the worst holiday ever. Lots of english food - which is not a problem itself - but a distinct lack of spanish restaurants. Horrible hotels that spoilt the coastline. Tacky tacky tacky. Love spain usually as well.

Poor old Turkey is getting a right bashing haha! personally i love it. ive been to loads of places including Istanbul, Izmir, Mardin, Diyarbakir, Batman and Kusadasi and more! My husband is Kurdish thats why ive been to visit so many places.
One places I didnt like was Marmaris though wouldnt go back again.

We went to Olu Deniz last year for 2 weeks and loved it, we had a great time. We had stunning appartments and the food was great. Bit disappointed with the beach, but you can't have everything.

Oh - I almost forgot. Morocco - went when I was kid and someone offered my dad camels for me. I'm not even a blondie like Ellebear - and I was 7. Put me off rather.

And Bermuda - not because its horrible- its a lovely place, friendly people, brilliant food - has a great public transport system you can actually use. But expensive (average wage is $70k a year tax free), and full of the worst kind of rich American tourists.

Isn't it funny how everyone has different opinions. I was particularly shocked to see LA mentioned on here! Have visited different parts of LA on many occasions and would LOVE to go back again. Each to their own I guess :) x

Back