Planned Cheat on SS to Boost Metabolism?

judders74

Hi all,

Had someone on one of my courses today who said they're doing CD SS (like me). They said their weight loss slowed down from week 4 onwards, to around 2lbs a week despite sticking to SS 100%.

At the suggestion of their CDC, they had what they referred to as a "planned cheat" in week 8 - basically, they didn't do SS for 5 days and ate what they fancied (although didn't binge or over-eat, they DID eat things like take-aways, carbs, cheese). Their CDC told them they might gain a few pounds for that week, but afterwards they would find they lost weight again like they had in weeks 1-3. Apparently this break boosts the metabolism all over again(?).

True to form, thats what happened. They had put on 4lbs at the end of week 8, returned to SS then lost 11lbs in week 9, 8lbs in week 10 and 6lbs in week 11.

I want to be clear that I am not making any sort of judgement about this; if people decide to deviate from their CD plan to whatever extent (and whether they call it "cheating" or "having a break" or a "planned cheat") then of course thats their perogative! One main learning point for me on CD so far is that we do have choices....even if it doesn't always feel like it.

However, I am curious as to whether this is really a CDC-approved technique - also whether others have done this with similar (or different) results? I think it has been on my mind all day because I am finding this hard at the moment, despite my great results to date. It's certainly got me thinking......

Thanks very much,

Judders

I don't think its an officially endorsed technique - I know my CDC was horrified when I said I was planning to deviate from plan, but I know from my own experience that it can work.

The only thing is, you have to be rock solid in your own determination that you will go rigidly back to programme when your cheat period is over. And you will have to go through that getting into ketosis yuk period all over again - which may even last a few days longer second time around.

Those 2 downsides have been the breaker of many Cambridge dieters. A planned cheat turns into a long break and before you know it all the weight is back.

I was told this when i went on a diet called little and often , to eat more to trick the body and you will lose weight , its true it did the job , but only do that as a one off

Hi again...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this everyone - and for clarifying the CDC position for me, KD.

I have had dreams over the last fortnight where I've eaten non-CD stuff and then woken the next day full of relief that I haven't done it for real!

Judders74

Wouldn't advise the "anything you fancy" option. On the other hand, moving up to a higher CD Step can certainly do the trick, so that you can, if you choose, move back down again.

So many clients just try to hang on in there on SS, when moving up to SS+ or 810 really starts the weight loss happening again.

I saw this and was interested to see what everyone thought, as I am on my 5th weigh in yesterday (though I don't see my CDC officially for another week) and I seem to have only lose a half pound :(

here in the Netherlands you have to have an AAM week every fourth week. Because of goverment regulations I think, and certainly not everybody does it, but maybe it will do the trick for you?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not prepared to do anything that might knock me out of ketosis. I just don't think I can face going through that hideous first couple of days again. I'm in this for the long haul, and don't intend to deviate. I hope I don't sound too self-righteous, it's just that I know I can't go through that hell again.
When it comes to the add a meal week, I'm going to follow that to the letter too. That way I know where I stand and I'm in control.

I agree with you surf, apart from my planned break (my holiday in turkey) there is no way I would choose to come out of ketosis as I'd worry so much about coming back in again! I am not worried about my holiday as I have planned it since day one of the diet, but anything else I think would completely ruin me!!

Perhaps an add a meal week is the answer. I will see what next week brings and have a chat with my CDC about it :D

I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks and luckily for me one of the girls I'm going with is on Lighter Life, so we're just going to be 2 starving waifs (I wish) together while everyone else piles on the holiday lbs which is going to be totally inevitable in the US - that'll teach them to be thin lol.

aww that's great you are going with someone else in a similar situation, that will really help! My holiday was booked last year and we booked all inclusive so I as I have paid for that and it's my first trip ever abroad, I am going to taste the cuisine and have the cocktails with pleasure, in the knowledge that I will lose the weight again when I am home. However, I have another holiday in October, which is self-catering, uk, so will 100% SS on that one :D

Bunny, M-azing and anyone else who's interested: Add-a-Meal week is, in the UK, the old name for Sole Source Plus. The new NICE guidelines say that it is possible to Sole Source for 12 weeks before insisting on one week on a non-vlcd diet (i.e. 810 Cal), before returning to Sole Source for another 12 weeks if desired.

When the original Add-a-Meal requirement was instigated at the end of the 1980s, most Counsellors were extremely irritated at the intervention because we were worried that it would cause great difficulty in returning to Sole Source. And that sometimes is true, and is why (I understand) LL stick to abstinence (and doctor's monitoring to overcome the requirement).

However, with experience, AAM proved such a boon. It means that real food always remains in the picture, so that one doesn't become scared to have a piece of chicken - because we all have to get back to real food in maintenance.

Subsequent to the new NICE guidelines, many counsellors now recommend a half-way house: 5-6 weeks of Sole Source or Sole Source Plus, followed by one week on 810, repeated ad infinitum until you've had enough or need to increase your Calorie levels once you're heading for BMI 26....

Hmmm - one day, I'll learn how to write a short post. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Yay, good on you Bunny. Have a fab hol safe in the knowledge that if any goes on, it'll come off with CD. Oh dear I sound like CD's very own advertising section :silly:

Hi again...
I have had dreams over the last fortnight where I've eaten non-CD stuff and then woken the next day full of relief that I haven't done it for real!
Judders74

I had same sort of dreams when I quit smoking. I'd dream I smoked a 20 pack one after another and wake up thankful it was a dream. :giggle:

Bunny, M-azing and anyone else who's interested: Add-a-Meal week is, in the UK, the old name for Sole Source Plus. The new NICE guidelines say that it is possible to Sole Source for 12 weeks before insisting on one week on a non-vlcd diet (i.e. 810 Cal), before returning to Sole Source for another 12 weeks if desired.

Thanks for that Lesley, I may think about this. My holiday falls within my 7th week on CD, that takes away the need for AAM. However, when I return, I might do AAM more frequently than 12 weeks.

Yay, good on you Bunny. Have a fab hol safe in the knowledge that if any goes on, it'll come off with CD. Oh dear I sound like CD's very own advertising section :silly:

Thank you - my hol is the only planned time off the diet, I have weddings and all sorts, but don't want to come of the diet as I don't want to prolong things, but I feel good about this holiday as I will be getting on CD when I get back to the UK. But I will be interested to see if it does boost my weight loss afterwards!

Thanks for that Lesley, I may think about this. My holiday falls within my 7th week on CD, that takes away the need for AAM. However, when I return, I might do AAM more frequently than 12 weeks. quote]

I think AAM or the 810 interim week can be a movable feast (hah!), depending on your diary - just as long as real food does make an appearance.

CD and Sole Source are wondrous creations, but participation in real life should take precedence, I believe, while still learning how to keep the weight off in the future.

Back