Planning your week

Kingy19

Hi all,

I'm coming back to sw after a long absense, I join class on Monday with my mum and cousin. Looking forward to it but also a little scared that I'll give up and fail like mannnyyy times before. Anyhow, I was wondering how everyone planned their week? I've been looking through old mags etc but I'm finding it a bit difficult to actually plan it to be honest. From experience I know that I need to have something planned and I'll eat that, rather than 'ad hoc' which really doesn't work for me.

Any ideas appreciated. X

Well I look at what I have got in and what I need to buy and look thru online or my recipe books. Obviously I am new to SW so I have lots to learn.

Tomorrow is B - 2 x alpen lite (hexb), L - SW Quiche and 142g Beans (hexb) and D - Tandoori Chicken with Salad as I have some yogurt to use up and plenty of breasts in the freezer ! I need to make my quiche tonight and also marinade the chicken - nom nom !

Tuesday is Quiche again for lunch and I have some tuna steaks so it will probably be tuna with boiled pots and I have some green beans that are best before that day.

I got lots of ideas from looking at peoples food diaries x

I always plan the weeks meals but I always put together 8 days worth of meals

That way there is always a choice of what to eat - I am never in a position where I have to eat the thing that is left on the list

I start with the foods I have left over in the fridge that need used up and then add some old favourite meals and some new ones from the mag or recipe websites (SW or here or bbcgoodfood)

If I a having pasta or rice for dinner I do extra and take that for lunch the following day with added veggies

Planning def helps you stay on plan and it keeps the costs down too as it is good household management

I don't plan in that I know on Monday we will definately have x, Tuesday it will be definately be y etc as sometimes I know I wouldn't want what I'd planned on that day BUT I always have a rough idea of what we will be eating for the week.

For me online shopping (Ocado) and a list is invaluable.

I try to plan a week in advance, mostly to avoid going to the supermarket and spending a small fortune, only to then find that I'm having to throw weird meals together to use stuff up before it goes out of date!

I think we fall into the same category as loungelizard - and tend to know what we're having all week. We've tried (and still do) various ad-hoc receipes but we like what we like and just jazz up meals with different veg when in season. With the weather getting a bit chilly now I've no doubt I'll be concocting some stews/casseroles, lamb is one of our most favourites. :)

I weigh in wednesday, so every monday i sit down.. pick 7 meals, and 4 lunchs (the others will be left overs from night before) then i write a list of all the ingrediants i'l need for each meal..

then il write my shopping list, in order of how i go around the shop (because im weird like that, and because if its all higgledy piggeldy, youl miss somthing, cbf to go get it and then that meal is out the window because your missing a vital ingrediant!)

i also try and go through my cupboards first incase i have anything that A) reminds me of a good meal if my mind is blank and B) because id rather use up what i ahve if i can!

x

Hi Guys, thank you for that. Im finding being organised is the best way to go with this. But I also find that whilst borwsing I see loads of stuff I think'that;; be great, ill make that' then whe I come to plan I go blank!!! :-(

Some great ideas here though, i havent done too bad, got a tesco shop delivered and planned it out last week, but think I need to 'hone ita bit more!'.

Thank you for replies. xxxx

Forgot to say, honey ive just been looking at your thread - I think thats great - im going to sit down tonight and do that - try to plan it down to the syn, thank you! x

In general I plan on a sunday morning for the entire week every meal and snacks. I write it down in a chart and then draw up a shopping list, go shopping and stock to it all week. Also plan for the days when you may fall off the wagon, I have refreshers and other low syn snacks like muller yoghurts and dairylea triangles in the cupboard with no choc or bad snacks around! Good luck!!

In general I plan on a sunday morning for the entire week every meal and snacks. I write it down in a chart and then draw up a shopping list, go shopping and stock to it all week. Also plan for the days when you may fall off the wagon, I have refreshers and other low syn snacks like muller yoghurts and dairylea triangles in the cupboard with no choc or bad snacks around! Good luck!!

Me too, this is EXACTLY what i do :)

I am trying to cook from scratch so get about a weeks worth of food in, 7 lots of meats, fish, chops, stew meat, fillets, mince, sausages, joint of meat (for sunday) and a selection of fresh, tinned and frozen veggies. I used to go to the supermarket for all my shopping but now I go to the local market and get everything for virually half the price.

I also have a couple of, stand-by, ready meals which I bulk up with extra veggies

So, although I never have a plan, I can always find something new to cook, when I am being good and want to cook something special and need something special i get it in.

Back