"Playing catch up for last week" FACT OR FICTION

BigChief

I have heard a few people saying if the scales don't represent what you have eaten that week then it will show next week. Weather it is not showing that you had a healthy week or a bad week.

For example in my second week on slimming world i fell of the rails a bit. Had a kebab, 12 pints and a bar of choc....Actually reverse the order the beer came before the kabab as it always does :)

Anywho i still lost 4 pounds that week and someone said i will probably pay for it the next week yet i still lost 2 pounds.

I'm just curious, if i have something bad at the start of the week will it add up to my weeks total or will it be spread over several weeks.

In my mind if i eat something bad its goes into my body, all the bad stuff is taken by your body and then its out of your body again before weigh in day so surely it will not have any bearing on the next weeks total.

I understand if i eat something bad a day before weigh in it may carry through to the next week as it still in my body.

In summary :)
How long does it take from the moment you eat something for the nutrients, fats and sugar to be taken by your body and the rest....disposed of. I'm sure some foods are broken down quicker than others but does anyone have a rough idea....

Cheers,
JP

I have to admit when I was on WW if I had a bad week it was ALWAYS the week after that I suffered for it. My WW leader always swore by the fact it took 10 days for it to catch up. I dont know if its true or the reason behind it but I know for me it was definitely the case.

I heard a thing on the radio the other week where they had 'an expert' on who said pretty much the same thing that it took a week.... course I cant find it anywhere online to corroborate it

Starlight said:
I have to admit when I was on WW if I had a bad week it was ALWAYS the week after that I suffered for it. My WW leader always swore by the fact it took 10 days for it to catch up. I dont know if its true or the reason behind it but I know for me it was definitely the case.

I heard a thing on the radio the other week where they had 'an expert' on who said pretty much the same thing that it took a week.... course I cant find it anywhere online to corroborate it

Nutritionists say it takes 10 days of eating excess calories to make fat. It can take two or three days to move a meal along your bowel. It can take alot longer for fat to be burned away and losing weight through diet alone always results in muscle loss. The large losses at first are the fat within the muscles that are surrounded by water, hence the huge losses men get at the beginning, as they have more muscle mass.
Some muscle loss is because as you get lighter you no longer need big muscles to support you. However you need this muscle to keep weightloss high, so exercise is a good thing though it doesn't result in the massive losses people expect!

Oh and rumour and anecdotal evidence says that one bout of excess alcohol can mean a big loss but it rarely happens again!

i usually bite my tongue when i see this but i cant help saying something now....
i do sit here and chuckle to myself when people say they have treats etc on weigh day/other days and well it didnt affect me on the scales because i lost...
the reason i chuckle.....yes you still lost but my god how much more would you have lost if you hadnt been naughty???

now some people prefer scenic route and thats fine,different things work for different people.

but i quite often find if you look at stats,comments etc on here closely its often the people who do this that are found somewhere wondering why they dont have bigger losses!

lurverick said:
i usually bite my tongue when i see this but i cant help saying something now....
i do sit here and chuckle to myself when people say they have treats etc on weigh day/other days and well it didnt affect me on the scales because i lost...
the reason i chuckle.....yes you still lost but my god how much more would you have lost if you hadnt been naughty???

now some people prefer scenic route and thats fine,different things work for different people.

but i quite often find if you look at stats,comments etc on here closely its often the people who do this that are found somewhere wondering why they dont have bigger losses!

Exactly! I know my losses are slow cos I'm not strict about counting everything!

I never see the logic in a treat after weigh in personally but at the same time I appreciate it's what some people need to keep them on track.

I have been really lucky in that we've had a trip away staying with family for a week, big anniversary celebration involving champagne & indian take away with the full works, Eurodisney & a wedding where the meal was curry & I've still lost every week except for one where I stayed the same. Bizarrely my lowest losses have been weeks where I have had less syns or done more exercise.

I had the big lot of alcohol and fairly big loss last week - I had a wedding on the Saturday where I must have had about 60 syns worth of wine and champagne, and then at weigh in on the Monday I'd lost 3.5lbs, my largest amount since my first week. This week I lost another 2lbs, I was half expecting a smaller loss because of the "delayed effect" but it obviously didn't happen! Interestingly, the weeks I've had 2lb plus losses are also the weeks where I've had a glass of wine - no idea if it has anything to do with it but I'm happy to test for everyone!! :whistle:

The Consultant at my class always says, 'Step off the scales into next weeks weight loss'.

It works for me...although I do give myself a treat every now and then...

Yeah I don't do the whole off-plan "treats after weigh in" thing either - although I tend not to have too many syns, if any at all, during the day before weigh in so I've usually got enough to have a nice on-plan treat!

What I find incredible, speaking for myself of course, is how my weight seems to "redistribute itself" around my body. For example, I will have a loss on the scales one week and not really notice the difference at the time and then suddenly a couple of days later, I will look slimmer in a certain area, or an article of clothing will be looser. Several years ago I did a month on Atkins, without exercising, and lost not a single pound, but my body shape changed enormously. Weird. Is it just me?

I don't have a treat every time after WI but when I do, I don't lose more or less. The first 6 - 7 weeks was a real struggle for me, being 100% on plan and struggling to shift even half a pound. Then the weeks when I had a treat after WI, i'd lose the next week.

I didn't have a treat week before last and lost 2lb. Had one after wi, nothing major, just a chocolate bar on top of my usual syns, and I had a 2.5lb loss this week.

So where's the logic?

OP, I have no idea! I had 3 weeks completely on plan 100% and had 2 great (for me) losses of 2lb and 1.5lbs. I had a meal out last week off plan on the Wednesday night and my WI the very next day I had a 2lb gain. :eek: I wasn't expecting it so quickly!! However, almost a week down the line now and I feel more bloated and heavier than I did at WI and I've been 100% since my one meal off. I could tell you what the scales say but I only count my WI as true figures and try not to pay too much attention to mid-week sneaky peeks (something that's taken me 20 weeks to be able to say!). I would have answered you as above (about 7-10 days to show true gain) until this week just gone.

In summary, I can't go off plan at all if I want to lose. Everytime I've had a meal out even incorporating flexi syns, I've gained. Needless to say, I don't have a treat night, am dying for a takeaway and am pretty much fed up with vegetables. I'm also wondering how on earth I'm going to change my lifestyle for good if I can't eat out EVER without gaining and then spending the next month trying to lose what I put on in a day!

For me, it definelty is a fact. Back in September, I went out and went off plan for one day and ate normal and a bottle of wine and I lost 3ib the week after but gained 1/2ib the following week even though I was 100% on plan. Then in October it was my birthday and I had 3 seperate occasions off plan over a 2 week period but it took another 2 weigh in's for a 1ib gain (again was 100% on plan - and was very happy with only 1ib gain for those 3 odd days was expecting a lot more!) so yes for me it takes a week or 2 for body to catch up.

Anna xx

I'm eyeing this topic with interest, as in the time I've been doing SW so far, I haven't drank and I haven't gone of for fancy food etc. This Friday I'm out for the night and drinking will be involved a bit, and next week is my birthday so there'll be more drinking involved... I'm planning to be strict with syns on the other days and try to up my superfree, but I would really like to continue with decent losses so I'm hoping It doesn't effect me negatively!

On the treat after WI thing, I have to say I went 1.5 syns over last night as I left SW, downed a mugshot and went to chorus for 3 hours, so i snuck some pom bears in before bed. naughty, I don't normally do that, I was just dying to munch and we'd no fruit around!

I think what we "dieters" fail to see is that the weight of your body does fluctuate. We tend to see any weight change as a loss or a gain, where as people who dont need to watch their weight see this as fluctuation. Just because we are on a weight loss plan does not mean our bodies are not going to have these fluctuations.
As for going off plan, well I do this sometimes and even though I may have a good weight loss that particular week, I accept that had I stuck to plan 100% I would have lost more weight at some point during the following weeks.

Back