Please can someone help me? Toilet talk - TMI

Mrs V

Loves Life!
Hi all.

I am on Day 7 as a re-starter and one of the reasons I gave up the last time was due to being severely constipated (and falling pregnant...but that didn't last).

Anyway, does any one else suffer as badly as me?? I want to cry!
I have actually pushed so hard that I am now bleeding (I really am sorry if TMI, but I am sure I can't be alone?)

I am drinking water like as if there will be a shortage soon and I have also started for the last 3 days taken Fibre 89 in my water.....please tell me it gets easier.

I am in absolute agony!
I really don't want to stop again because of this, but I may have to.
I will speak to my CDC this evening, but if there is any other advice that you wonderful people could give me, I would really appreciate it. :( :cry:

Why don't you try some dulcolax or fibrogel?? That might help it along... then keep on with the Fibre89. Last time around I needed to use dulcolax...

Thank you Nikki....I will try anything at this moment in time Lol!

Here's something I posted in the long, distant past. I always use psyllium husks when SSing and it has sorted the problem out for me (remember, it's a preventative though - I used Dulcolax Perles to clear the problem first).

Everything you wanted to know about Poo (but were too scared to ask!)
I suffered terribly from constipation in the early days. It got so bad that I had to resort to suppositries and I even considered giving up the diet I was in such discomfort.

Then I tried psyllium husks and I haven't looked back since. So here's the low down on psyllium husks and your innards. (Biology lesson coming up)

Your bowels work by being 'triggered' to contract and expel waste when the contents are bulky enough to press against the walls. All the time that waste sits in your bowels, water is being extracted. Therefore, if there's waste sitting in there for any period of time, it soon becomes dry and hard: this makes it difficult to expel.

On a VLCD, we don't have a lot of waste products as an end product of digestion so it can often be days before there's enough to press against the bowel walls. Cue constipation ....

Laxatives are a solution .... but only as a short term 'fix'. If you use laxatives regularly, then they can interfere with the natural mechanisms of the bowels and make them 'lazy' and reliant on being artificially stimulated.

The best solution is a bulking agent which will enable your bowels to work naturally like they're supposed to. This is where psyllium husks come in. They are 100% natural and contain no calories or carbs so they don't interfere with the diet. The body cannot absorb or digest them. They absorb 20 times their own weight in water which means when you take them and drink plenty of fluid, they bulk up the contents of your bowels and hey presto!!

They are also gentle and so are suitable for people with IBS. You can buy them in powdered husk form (this is how I take them). I add a teaspoon to my morning shake and another 3 teaspoons or so to my evening soup. It thickens them up - in fact the soup is like a broth - I love it!
I also use PH to make a 'porrige / semolina' type meal - just PM me if you want the 'recipe' :)

If that's not something you fancy, then psyllium husks can be bought in capsule form. They are not a cure and should be taken every day as a preventative.

They absolutely transformed my experience on this diet and I haven't had to take a laxative since.

Remember to drink extra water when taking them though.

I buy my PH online (cheapest way to do it) - here's the link to the company 'Healthspan'.

Psyllium Husks Digestive Fibre - 300g tub

and if you prefer the idea of capsules, Holland & Barrett sell them -here's the link

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories. asp?xs=3D47172200DE4D45914684B5460C6767 &CID=15&Page=4

Hope this helps!!

Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!!

I will try them and see how I go!!!

Thank you Nicky...did you use the husks or the capsules?

HI,

If you are really desperate to clear the blockage, Microlax mini enemas can be bought over the counter. Lloyds pharmacy don't usually ask questions, I find (Boots can be a bit difficult about it). Probably best not to mention you're on a VLCD though. Anyway, the enemas have always done the trick for me, and then use the psyillium husks, they're good.
SM

I take Psyllium husk in my soup every evening and i go straight after i have drunk it ( and 2 pints of water)
I have had this problem most of my life (even before CD) and i always found that psyllium works wonders.
Hope this helps! Oh btw. I took the orange fybogel while i was waiting for my new supply of psyllium and it knocked me out of ketosis because of citric acid apparently but noone told me that before i was told to buy it lol.
Taz x

Sorry to dwell on this topic :eek: but got some husks in capsule form from H&B on way home last night as suffering in that dept. And well, have taken 4 so far today (2 brekkie, 2 lunch) and well, it's not pleasant shall we say!

I've now been twice :D and both times it's been a bit slimey :confused: .... is this normal?

It'll probably just be your body adjusting to getting some 'substance' to work on inside you. I'm sure it'll soon settle down.

However, if you're worried or if you are in pain or see signs of 'old' blood then it's an idea to check things out with your GP.

bleeding red fresh blood is more than likely from straining. if it was anything untoward you would have no probs going to the loo and it would be mixed in with your poo!!!
as pleasant as it is i have to stick my fingers up someones bum on regular occasions in my job (nurse). its bleeding cos you need a good poo, bit of vaseline may help lubricate the way out !!!!!

Back