Please Help-I am new and am not losing! :(

gorgehun80

Hi all. I started slimming world a week ago and have put on 1lb. I am so so so dissapointed! I absolutely love the diet, I havetried every single diet in the past-weightwatchers,cannage soup etc but always so hungry on them. this diet is perfect for me and I am so discouraged that i have put on a lb. My leader said my food diary looks perfect, i have been folowing it perfectly and not cheated at all. Ok so i have been having large portions of pasta etc but they are free right? Has anybody else had this problem??:cry:
A typical day is like this:

Breakfast:
42g All Bran( healthy choice B)
Mullerlight
Banana

Lunch:
Large portion of pasta
Chicken breast fried in frylite
Mixed veg
1 tbsp ketchup(1 syn)

Dinner:
Large jacket potato
Baked beans
Salad
Quark
Mullerlight
Curly wurly (6 syns)
250 ml semi milk (healthy extra A)
I drink about 6-8 glasses of water/squash a day too!

PLEASE HELP- I am so desprarte for this to work! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Tess xxxx

Hello, I'm new too, in my opinion you are eating really healthily but maybe its not the diet for you. I've tried increasing portion size and eating healthier and I put on loads of weight and constantly felt bloated. If you reduce portion size a tiny bit and still dont lose any weight maybe you'll lose some by increasing exercise.

Also, for example if someone who was a size zero ate that much they would end up putting on loads of weight, but if someone who was quite big did they would lose a lot instantly.. if you understand what I am saying. Hope this helped a bit :) x

Thanks so much for your reply. I can see what your saying but my leader reckons you should guarantee lose weight if you stick to it 100% even if you stuff with huge portions of free food like pasta etc. the only thing i can think of is i was eating about 4 bananas a day last week so am going to cut that down to 1 a day and see...so are you doing SW now too and have u lost anything? xx

Hi and welcome :)
Dont give up, it does sometimes take a week or so for your body to get used to the diet. It depends on what your previous food was. it may just be water retention.
very often week one gets a gain, but week 2 gets a good loss, stick with it, keep the faith, SW does work.

Check out the huge SW forums, there is loads of help and support over there. maybe start a food diary over there, everyone can offer any advise or point out areas that are maybe not working.

I think that different people need different diets - I wonder if you have a carb intolerance? Your meal plan looks very healthy but I don't think I would lose weight on it if the pasta and potato portions were very large - a small portion of pasta and a small potato would probably work better for me. However I think you should speak to your counsellor and stick at it another couple of weeks because you might find you do lose a lot next week - that can definately happen.

Thanks for your replies, I really hope I get a loss this week, i have about 4 friends who have lost more than 3 stone very quickly on SW and i assumed i would be the same :( I have paid until mid Dec so i will stick at it until then. im hoping its just my body getting used to it :) xxx

I'd keep on it for a bit see if you do lose any. It might just be that your body has to get used to it. My sister did it but she eats large healthy portions anyway so it worked for her. Good luck :)

Hi all. I started slimming world a week ago and have put on 1lb. I am so so so dissapointed! I absolutely love the diet, I havetried every single diet in the past-weightwatchers,cannage soup etc but always so hungry on them. this diet is perfect for me and I am so discouraged that i have put on a lb. My leader said my food diary looks perfect, i have been folowing it perfectly and not cheated at all. Ok so i have been having large portions of pasta etc but they are free right? Has anybody else had this problem??:cry:
A typical day is like this:

Breakfast:
42g All Bran( healthy choice B)
Mullerlight
Banana

Lunch:
Large portion of pasta
Chicken breast fried in frylite
Mixed veg
1 tbsp ketchup(1 syn)

Dinner:
Large jacket potato
Baked beans
Salad
Quark
Mullerlight
Curly wurly (6 syns)
250 ml semi milk (healthy extra A)
I drink about 6-8 glasses of water/squash a day too!

PLEASE HELP- I am so desprarte for this to work! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Tess xxxx
Hi Tess! Welcome to slimming world! I have started slimming middle of August and I have lost 1 1/2 stone so far without any exercise. I would not say it is easy, but it does work. I am sure you are eating right and it will show soon. I have experienced that most of the time I loose weight every two weeks. It will get take some time until your body and mind get used to the food optimizing. I have to admit, I am terribly impatient and wish I could loose quicker, having said that this is exactly what I am not supposed to do! Lose slowly and keep it off. Trust me, tried every diet in the world. Slimming world (apart from when you are an obsessed gym user like I used to be!) is the only way to go. Good luck Tess! I know WE can do it!x

Hey Sab, thanks for ur reply! Wow 1 and half stone in 6-7 weeks, that is brilliant, u must be so pleased! how much did u lose in ur first week? I am really hoping i will lose next week... i am so so despoerate so lose 3 stone by my birthday...april 1st xxxx

Hey Tess! I was lucky, my body liked it straightaway. I lost 4 lbs in the first week, 4lbs in the second week and nothing in the 3rd week. I was absolutely gutted as I thought I would just carry on losing that much each week. I really don't know how it works Tess. I guess it is just very well calculated. I am a massive portion eater. You know when you read in a recipe book that something is measured for 4 portions? I can eat the whole lot myself. I mean it. My pasta portions are huge and if they are not big I almost start to panic that I may starve myself. Call it a food obsession, it well is!
However for some really strange reason, if you follow the extra easy diet, your sense of taste changes and you start to crave fruits and veg (believe me I am no fruit eater usually!) and yogurt (hated it!)
It must have something to do with blood sugar levels I think. I really don't know
A few tips for you: Always have bananas around you for a quick sugar fix. Also buy melons and strawberries and munch as much as you can as they are speedfood. Eat baked beans too and try not to buy chocolate or any sweets! Rather have a coffee with sweetener and a little milk from your allowance. Stock up on Activa snackpots and Muller light yogurts and cut up and apple and slice it in. When I get hungry, which is not so often nowadays I try to have a can of a fizzy diet drink before I touch food, but make sure that you don't just drink diet coke as the caffeine really gets to you when you eat less.
Tess I am sure you will get there! I still have a long way to go. I have a big target now but I know I can do it. All the best to you and if you need to talk about it I shall be here for you!

Sab x

For some people it is a case of trial and error on finding which of the SW plans works for you. All EE, all GREEN or all RED, or a mixture of each.
I personally do 100% GREEN as i am a veggie. I eat a lot of pasta and potatoes and lost 2lbs a week every week. but i know some who GREEN and that much carb doesnt suit them.

There is 26 ish weeks till your birthday, so it could be possible to lose 3st 10lbs by April 1st. at 2lbs a week.

The thing to remember is to fill your plate 1/3 full of SUPERFREE ( not just FREE) kinda compulsory on EE but now strongly reconmended on GREEN and RED too.
4 bannanas a day could contribute to a gain.
the thing is all FREE food still has a calorie content, so some degree of control over eating free food should be executed.
eg Muller lights=FREE, but there about 100cals, so if you ate 10 in a day ( cos they are free) thats still 1000cals, so a loss probably then not on the cards.
the first weeks will be trial and error as you find what works for you.

PS: If you do buy some food you really should not have like crisps or chocolate bars, have a bite or a handful, enjoy it and give the rest of it to someone else or be brave (maybe a little stupid :)) and throw it in the bin! I bought a bag of chinese cracker biscuits as I really craved some. I had a handful and I chucked the rest away, because I knew I would eat the whole packet otherwise! You know what, it made me feel good!!!

Sab, i love my huge portions too but am going to cut down as they really are huge, bigger than my husbands!! I always have mullerlights and fruit on hand, i havent been craving crisps etc but do have a curly wurly every night which is 6 syns. Do you know if you HAVE to eat your syns...my leader says that i do but i see me not losing weight if i dont eat the curly wurly??I also dont drink tea or coffee so dont have sugar etc.....really really hoping to lose this week as the diet is perfect for me, I am never ever hungry on it!! xxx

Thanks honey for your reply, much aprreciated. At the mo I am mainly do the EE plan which i find really good but i have freinds that lost more or the red plan. I am not a HUGE fan of meat and love my pasta and jackets too much! i would be willing to give the red plan a try though if it means losing the weight! I can see what ur saying about control over the free foods, in one day i ate 6 mullerlights for the sake of it!! I am going to cut down my pasta portions as they are HUGE!! i will let u know how i get on next weigh in, thanks for all ur tips and advice xxx :)

Tess, I have had the same thought about the syns. I have to say, my first 2 weeks, I did not use any syns (I knew of anyway) and lost a lot, however I wanted to carry on like it and noticed that if you don't use your syns, the body thinks you are starving yourself and it won't let you loose more weight as it keeps it as a reserve. So I believe, the syns which include sugar, fat and fibre do help with the weightloss. I don't know enough myself about it but every week when I very obviously have my syns I lose more than if I am synless. Suss it out, I am sure you will get the hang of it!!!

Hey tess

Try not to be too disheartened, stick with it. Sometimes it takes a week or two for your body to become accustomed to the changes.

Can I ask if you’re def getting your third superfree? You talk about large portions of pasta and large baked potatoes, but does that equate to a third of what you’re eating? Maybe you should be looking at a portion of pasta and a large portion of mixed veg etc sorry if this is something you’re doing.

Also 4 bananas a day just isn’t healthy! Think of the potassium levels(never mind the bulking affectss it’s prob doing to your bowels)! As others have suggested look for superspeed fruits to enjoy.

This time next week with be a totally different ball game if ya stick with it!

With extra easy its a must to have 1/3 superfree with every meal (or at least your day must be 1/3 superfree) to assist in portion control over the free food. Red and green days worked by limiting the carbs if you were eating more meat on red, and limiting meat on a carb day of green. With extra easy you can eat carbs and meat without weighing. So when i first heard about it i thought, well how's that gonna work then cos your eating all red and green free foods! The twist is the 1/3 superfree rule and only one of each healthy extra. So if your not getting enough superfree you will find you gain. Try dishing up less, eat that, and chew the food more, then wait like 15 mins. If you really are still hungry have some more, but you gotta have the superfree too. So not just more pasta for eg. And yeah 6 free mullers and 4 banana's adds up to about 1000 calories! Plus then your meals. Could explain the gain. Try reaching for a apple instead, there meant to aid fat loss and act as a hunger supresant, i read that on here somewhere. Keep a food diary on here and put down everything that passes your lips, and i mean everything. Free, superfree syns etc. And quantities. We'll all get to the bottom of it. Lol.

just wanted to add that a couple of ladies in our group can't get along with bananas, and other people can't have bread or they put on weight. As you mentioned eating up to 4 bananas per day and you were thinking of cutting down I would say definitely try that as it might just be that bananas aren't for you! Or maybe just 1 per day and try a variety of other fruit instead. And as everyone else said, if doing EE make sure that superfree fruit/veg is 1 whole third of each meal. Stick with it :)

Hey all, it is so interesting hearing what works for some and what works for others. I am a little bit puzzled about the yogurt and banana thing. I know they both have calories which will add up when you eat too much of it. I doubt that I could eat too much yogurt as it does seem to satisfy and you can only eat that many bananas too. However, some may function different and can stuff themselves with both. I just don't get why consultants insist you can eat as many as you like? One lady in my club said: 'I think I have eaten far too many baked beans and jacket potatoes. My consultant assured her she can eat as much as she likes as long as she does not add butter or oil. How come she is so certain that this lady has not gained her weight (she gained a pound and could not understand why) from overindulging on BB and JPs? Who knows?

I think its worth remembering consultants are human, and not hooked up telepathically to a SW computer. There have been many a thread with people having been given info from a consultant that has been proved wrong by looking it up in book/sw website or the general consensus of minimins people.
It is true that you can eat unlimited FREE food. BUT you are only meant to eat til your comfortably full. I like you could not eat that many yogurts......... but the OP said she had 6 in one day, which, as she has had a gain, could be the cause. SW is trial and error on what works for you.
Think SW are presuming that you will execute some degree of common sense and control over the free food. And it is now strongly reconmended that you follow the 1/3 superfree rule on RED and GREEN too.
( a lot of the superfree food takes more calories to digest than you actually get from eating it :) )

Back