please help!! I managed to put on weight!!

ibizasunshine

I had been sticking to my sachets a day even managed to make it through the bank holiday with no alcohol...I had been having a little bit of milk with my coffee and a few diet cokes which my councillor said was ok! But I really f@@cked the week up some how.

Did really well and stuck to it up to day 5 (but some days due to being so busy I just ate two sachets rather that 3) stood on the scales to get a sneaky peak to see if I had lost any thing and I had stayed the same....so disheartening ...I couldnt understand why. as..I had drank my 4 litres of water..I have also been running 3 miles every other day and burning off 400 calories at a time... it just doesn't make sense!!! So then I thought whats the point and had a two large glasses of wine and two pita breads with hummas!!!...ate nothing the next day..to try and cancel out the calories then I got weighed in on day 7 and I had put on 3lbs!!! How can that be..I know I have NOT eaten enough calories to put on 3lbs!! It takes 3,500 to put on 1bs!!! I had not eaten an addition 10,000 calories!!!!!! I had eaten at the most 650 calories not inclusing the amount I had burnt off exercising!!
I only have 50 days till the wedding and I have put on weight this week..I really want to lose two stone before the wedding and I can't see it happening...

My Cambridge councillor says it's because I am not eating the three sachets a day and my body maybe going into starvation mode...I am also due on my period..so she said it could be that...I had lost 1/2 an inches from my arm and thighs and put on 1 inch on my waist

Has this happened to anyone else...it doesn't make any sense and has really knocked me off path..got back from councillors last night and drank a glass of wine and ate a bowl of chips!! What is wrong with me...I'm so self destructive!!
Promised myself that I would eat the three sachets a day starting from this morning...
I am off to spain on friday to sort final wedding details so she said to stick to the three sachets but if I have to have a meal to have protein and veg...I am so scared I will put on again..or stay the same...!!!

Can any one help....me understand what I did wrong???? as I dont want to waste another week I haven't got long to wedding and I really want to lose another two stone!! 49 days to the day!!

I don't think you are doing yourself any good by burning off calories exercising when on some days you are taking in less than you burn off. Your counsellor is right, you are probably going into or already in starvation mode. VLCDs have to be followed strictly to get good results.

It might not make sense to eat even less and then see again on the scales but it is probably fluid. The point is, you are under-eating even for a person on a TFR diet and this seems to be slowing down your metabolism.

Don't panic, just follow the advice given and you should be okay. You might even think of going up a step or two as this would compensate for the exercise.

Good luck!

Ok take a deep breath....

VLCD's cannot fail to work. I have a thyroid problem and they work for me (if slowly). You need to stop stressing. It will work.

Well it will if you can stick to it. Eating carbs can put on pounds really quickly because the first 5-7 pounds you lose on VLCD's are glycogen - just the energy you store in your muscles. Carbs put that back. It isn't 'real' weight and will go quickly.

Exercise on VLCD's needs to be taken very carefully because you have very little fuel in your body. You will lose without exercise - exercise might even slow you down - so just do as much as you feel like doing.

So..to sum up...stop stressing. Just trust that it will work. There is no-one on earth who can eat as little and not lose weight. No-one on the planet. You will not be the first. x

Thanks Girly Girl think I am going to stop going mad on exercising..and stick to the plan...I think maybe in my head I thought I was being clever not eating my last sachet and burning off more calories....trying to beat the programme and it came back to bite me on the arse!!
I will stick to what it says to do I will make sure from now on 3 sachets no matter what and whilst I am away have a protein and veg meal..the problem with eating is I will want a drink of wine? Need to get my brain out of that habit...
I will stay away from the scales..and wait till my next weighin to see what happens!! I so desperatly want to be slim for my wedding..

The nutritionist did tests before xmas and said I had an underactive thyroid so maybe its that too..? Cloey what effect has your thyroid had on your weightloss...??

Thanks for the support ladies xxx

Please don't stress.... Stress causes us to retain weight around the middle.

As Coley144 said, take a deep breath.....

Perhaps you are just retaining water? I've had 1L today and am already 2lbs heaver than I was this morning!

Losing weight is one of the most scientifically complex things I have ever I had to try and make sense of. There are a number of reasonable explinations for this....

Firstly I just want to tell you what happened to me at my very first weigh in when I did this diet for the first time back in 2009.... I got on the scales after a week of following the diet to a T... 2.5lb gain!!!! I didn't get it, I was so angry, upset and frustrated.... My CDC looked at me as though I had lied about following the plan! I was gutted, it made no sense..... (I was so close to eating a whole pie to myself)! But then I got back on the scales 5 minutes later and it turned out I had lost 4lbs!.... No idea what that was about.... Scales are stupid. Fact!

Another thing you should consider is the exercise you do, I am a self confessed gym addict, but have taken time off from the work outs while I do this diet. Here are my reasons....

We all have a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), this is the number of calories that your body burns simply doing nothing, so the calories your body needs simply to stay in bed and maintain your basic bodily functions i.e. heart beat, breathing etc... This is different for everyone and dependent on how your body is made up, for example an extra pound of muscle (which weighs more than fat) burns something like an extra 50 calories simply by existing.

So for example, I know that my BMR is somewehere around 2100 calories, so I could stay in bed and eat 2100 calories a day and not put any weight on. In order to lose a pound of weight I need to create a deficit of 3500 calories, so if I had 1600 calories a day and did nothing, I would lose a pound a week. Of course I could also burn 3500 calories a week thorugh exercise and get the same result.... I wont go into the annoyance of gaining muscle and losing fat.... That is the most depressing thing to see on the scales... and the reason I am back on CD for a quick turnaround. (more evidence that scales are stupid. Fact)!

So, back to my point, you are taking in a mere 450calories a day but lets assume your body requires 2000 calories a day to maintain, (I do not know the science behind VLCD's all I know is they work), but I assume the remaining 1450 calories required simply to maintain bodily function are taken from fat (Ketosis).... Now, imagine what your body is thinking when you burn 400 of those calories through exercise?... It needs to hang on to everything is has!!!... Survival mode....

Now, I do not know the above to be fact, I am basing this on my own experience and the many conversations I have had with various personal trainers and dietitians, (apart from the scales being stupid bit, that is fact, let me have that :)). Based on my own experience and having exercised on this diet back in 2009, it didn't stop my weightloss, but it didn't speed it up much either, however, I was only doing a 30 minute swim 3 times a week. I enjoy exercising and did that out of choice, what it did for me was turn me into the gym addict I am today! Had it not been for that I would have gained back the weight I lost the first time (I maintained, in fact lost a further 7lbs through diet and exercise, but then I quit smoking and put that 7lbs back on (damn you Cadbury:mad:), so I am back where I was when I last came off the plan a stone and a half short of my target weight).

Of course, I could have just written all of that and it could be as simple as you gaining muscle....

So there are really a number of factors that could have brought you here. Take my advice, I have tried desperately to understand why my weight fluctuated when I was exercising twice a day 6 times a week and ate a healthy diet!.. Trying to make sense of it will just stress you out..... and causes you to retain weight. Just do the diet and I promise you will see results.

I am back on CD because I am bored of trying to work out what my body is doing and I just want this last bit of weight gone. I KNOW the CD will do that for me if I just stick to it! And I KNOW that it will do it for you too!

Back on the wagon, go to your weigh in... You may have lost inches! Focus on the end result.... This is the only diet that had ever worked for me, when I started in 2009 I weighed almost 14stone, I got down to 10.6 and stayed there for months until I quit smoking, so I started again on Friday at 10.13.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!

I am hypothyroid - it means that all my bodily processes run slower than normal - and so my thyroid seriously affects my weight loss. It isn't impossible but it takes much longer than anyone else.

Is your nutritionist with the NHS? If you have an under-active thyroid it needs treating with pills. Did she/he refer you to a doctor? Did she/he diagnose this with a blood test? The reason I ask is that sometimes people (holistic therapists mostly) say things like that without being sure.

If you do have an under-active thyroid you need to go to your GP.

To be honest if your thyroid was very under-active you would know...it makes you tired, lethargic, slow pulse, low blood pressure, constipation, dry skin, low temperature. It's not fun!

No I went private.

My GP did refer me for blood tests and I don't have a thyroid issue, which is a good thing based on your descriotion of symptons! I'm just inpatient and have stressed out too much about losing weight!

Oh that's good.

So even I can lose weight on a VLCD. So you can. Just try to be patient. I know it is hard but you will get there.

Absolutely, I'm back on CD because I know it will get me the results I want in a short amount of time.

One week down, 5 to go. Simple.

I'm back on it and have gone up a step...think with all the training I was doing it became not enogh calories..going to try and even myself out...and I am on 3 sachets and a low carb meal...meat and three tablespoons of veg!!

just over a month till wedding!!

My friend has just got these so called natural appetite supresants..that also have ingrediants to speed up your metabolism..has anyone else used them in conjunction to Cambridge?

Wow starlight! Your results are such an inspiration!!
I am so much happier on step 2 810...
I still get to sit down with my partner for dinner last night I stir fried the chicken with veg..and gave him noodles...but it felt good sitting down again...also having the od coke zero has helped!

I wish I had moved to this step ages ago...it's just 4 weeks till my wedding and I would be so happy if I could just lose another stone...

I am focused like never before..just a bit gutted I didn't do this earlier!!!

Will I still be in ketosis on the step 2 810? My councillor said I would not be.

To be honest my problem has never been with being hungry and could go all day with out eating...but it gets to the evening and if I am super stressed with work I would drink a glass of wine ..which would lead to the whole... bottle ....which would them lead to a MASSIVE binge on food!!

I feel soo much better for not drinking and it's something I really am going to try and rule out of my life..

But its so easy when you meet with the girls after work to join in with a glass ...or when you are going out for a lovely dinner to drink a glass of wine...and it always leads to more with me!!

Any way..focused ..with four weeks and counting!

Feeling great this week went up a step sole source plus with a meal and have lost 4lbs this weekend...I didn't exercise...
So maybe I was just taking in too little calories when I was exercising and doing sole source!! 4 weeks today to my wedding day it would be great if I could lose 1 stone!!!

How are you all getting on?

Hi Quick and painful!!

Do you really think we can!! I am so desperate to lose a stone...I have my first dress fitting on friday and all I am thinking of if I get hair extentions or wear a veil will it cover up my fat arms! i don't want to look back on my wedding day with regret! and think I hate the photos..I feel fat all day!!
Have you done Cambridge before???

Hey- absolutely we can, I've lost 6lbs this week on ss+ if I do 6 this week that's almost a stone in two weeks. I've done Cambridge before and averaged at around 4lbs a week, it is totally doable!

I'm doing this to get into my bikinis by the 14th June, I honestly wouldn't put myself through this if I didn't think I would hit my target in time!

X

Brilliant!! 6lbs in your first week is great I get my proper weigh in tomorrow! Tonight the scales said 11.4...I would love to be 10.4 on my wedding day!!!!...had my two sachets today and a coke zero...about 7 cups of peppermint tea..and two litres of water...and my fiance is making a stir fry!!! will update you and support you each day! It's great to have the support of this forum!!

Whats your target weight??x

You'll do it, just keep your eye on the prize! I've given in to those cravings in the past, it's never worth giving in, it doesn't taste as good as you think.

Keep posting, start a diary for your ramblings. If you really feel like you're struggling have something off the ss+ list.

My target is 9.7, just 13lbs to go! I honestly can't remember the last time I was under 10 stone so will be so chuffed when I get there.

How many days in are you?

Back