please help I'm in so much pain....

RugbyGirl

Hello. I'm on day 10 on the CD and I havent passed a stool in 8 days. I tried and its too big and hard. I'm starting to panic as the pain is unbearable and i've tried laxatives but it only softens the top part which is coming passed the large stool. I know this isnt great to read but i'm on my own, I cant get to chemist or docs as its Easter bank holiday and I have literally tried everything. Please help me.

Have you been drinking plenty of water, try it warm to help ease the pain. If you can't get to a chemist or the docs give your CDC a call but don't panic xx

I suffer terribly with constipation myself and am still trying to find something that will help. I've been taking linseeds twice a day, but I have found that they don't help as much as they used to. I still need to take Dulco Ease as well. Someone else on here also mentioned glycerin suppositories which might help more in your case at the moment. They are supposed to work pretty quickly after they are inserted if you lie down for a bit on your left side. Probably won't help for today but if you can get out tomorrow. I'm thinking I might get some in for myself in case of an 'emergency'

Ouch!

If the large stool is "stuck" (fecal impaction) you need a stool softner like glycerin suppositories to try and soften the stool up.

If its that painful - call NHS 24 and tell them you have fecal impaction. They may well want you to go to A&E, i know it sounds drastic but if everywhere else is shut you aren't going to get a stool softner anywhere else, and its not worth being in pain for.

Last edited:
Fecal impaction is not like "normal constipation" its when the stool has been lying in the bowel for so long, the water has reabsorbed, causing the stool to become hard and impacted. Hence drinking more water (at the moment) isn't going to cut it, but it is important to keep drinking more in future and perhaps add in a fibre supplement.

Also have you tried pushing the muscle area around the anus, whilst bearing down to try and manipulate it a bit?

Also have you tried pushing the muscle area around the anus, whilst bearing down to try and manipulate it a bit?

If this doesn't help, then I really think you should call NHS Direct. There will be some pharmacies open tomorrow despite it being a bank holiday, but 8 days is way too long honey :hug99:

Definately go to see a doctor ! I did my basic training a few weeks ago and they advise anyone with constipation for seek medical advise in symptom persist for more than 48 hours. Once you have been sorted out then take something like fibre 89 (available from your CDC) to help prevent it. Hope you get it sorted out soon. xx

I have just come back from Frendoc, its like an emergency out of hours a and e thingy. I have been in pain all day.... I have the pleasure of a nurses finger in places no-one has EVER been. I have spent the last hr in the bathroom and that was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. God knows how women have more than one child!! That was like passing 3 Granny Smith Apples.

I know this is all very gross, but I wanted to thank you for your advice. I was in a bit of a state earlier and you guys calmed me. The doc who saw me was NOT happy I was on CD and advised me to stop immediately. I dont think I should, but there is NO WAY I am going through this again, I dont think it is worth all of the pain I have felt in the last 48 hrs.

Thanks again guys. x

Glad you got it sorted.

I have been constipated some days but have easily shifted after a couple pints of water.

If you wanted to carry on with the diet you could always try the fibre supplement you can buy from your cdc as a preventive.

You poor darling. :hug99:

Not nice. Not nice at all.

As for giving up CD, I can see how tempting that must feel right now. I know though, reading other posts of yours, how keen you were to give it a proper go.

Constipation is a bit of a CD hazard, it's true. But forewarned is forearmed, and all that. There are things you can do to make sure you never end up in that position again.

(1) Make sure you drink your 2 and 1/2 litres of water daily

(2) Add fibre to your shakes. Your CDC can provide you with Fibre89 powder, or you can use other products like Fibresure.

(3) If you get to say, day 4, and realise you haven't done a proper poo, take some laxatives! It's not something you want to do on a regular basis, but God knows, it's better than the nurse's finger! Senna's good. I take Dulcoease when I need to as well - it softens the stools so that they're easier to pass

Anyway, this is probably the last thing in the world you want to be thinking about right now, but as you might've guessed, I don't agree with the doctor that you should give up CD... :)

Glad you managed to get the problem solved, hun.

So please you got sorted. Oh, that must have been horrible for you to go through.

If you decide to continue with CD, as others have said, please use a constipation preventer like fibre89 or fibresure. It's amazing stuff and I recommend all my clients use it if they think they may have a problem in that department.

It's perfectly safe to take regularly (unlike laxatives), but you really do need to use it daily and adjust the amount to suit.

It makes the whole journey so much easier.

:hug99:

Why are laxatives not safe to use alot? I found fibresure didnt help me at all, and things only help when I use senokot max a few times a week :s

Why are laxatives not safe to use alot?

It can damage the colon. I think it damages the nerve endings or something, and the bowel then relies on the use of laxatives to stimulate it.

Because your I found fibresure didnt help me at all, and things only help when I use senokot max a few times a week :s

Are you sure you use enough and regularly...like 2-3 teaspoons every single day throughout the diet? It usually works.

Oh...quickly adding!!!!!

Don't use fibre89 or fibresure if you are already constipated as it could very well make it worse.

I just want to say that I too have suffered with constipation, AND I had a doctor tell me that it's not a good thing to do, i.e do a VLCD. After some thought and knowing that I really wanted to do this I stayed at the 810kcal diet until I got to see my own doctor. When I told him that I wanted to lose the weight and had found an 'extreme' diet, he said, 'go for it'. My advice to you would be the same, go and see your own doctor, he/she knows you best!

Good luck xx

It can damage the colon. I think it damages the nerve endings or something, and the bowel then relies on the use of laxatives to stimulate it.

Are you sure you use enough and regularly...like 2-3 teaspoons every single day throughout the diet? It usually works.

Ive been using the capsules... could that be why?

Hi,
Poor you - I hope you are recovering. As you can see - many of us have experienced this problem. You need to make your own decision but now you are aware of the problem and the fact that you have a tendency to get really badly constipated (some folks use CD and never have this problem!) then you can make sure it doesn't happen again !!!!
I make sure that I add fibre every day - firesure or psyllium husks added to shakes or porridge. It takes a bit of trial and error to see what works for you. If no .. em.. movement in 2-3 days use a laxative recommended by CD to help things along. There's also products to help rehydrate stools if they become dry (eg dulcoease) which would prevent your horrible experience happening again.
Right down you need to recover, talk it through with youor CDC / doctor and then decide what's best for you.
Take care x

I used to get this all the time on SS being on the toilet in tears and having a problem with bleeding after i went, since i moved up to SS+ i find i dont have so much of a problem.

If i was you i would stick to the diet but take the Fibre 89 from now on to help things along. And try drink extra water.

Back