Please help me, proffesional advice needed!

lillol23

Hi,

I currently weigh 9st 4lb and am 5ft 3in, i was 8st 4lb before i met my partner and would like to get back town to 8 and a half stone. I have joined the gym and been going every day for last 3 weeks nearly and havent noticed anything yet, i am fitter now than what i was before but not loosing anything. Will i loose weight going to the gym everyday or will i just tone my body as it is now? and what will i need to do in order to loose weight as well as tone? please help

laura xxx

When i used to go to the Gym , i was told within 6 weeks at 3 times a week you will notice , but also it really means eating healthy , i think the gym might have a programe if you ask them , also your doctor will have one

i am also calorie counting and have joined the gym. really enjoy watching those calories get burned off... although my online calorie counter reckons i should have MORE calories to combat those that i have lost... bit confused by this, surely that defeats the point??

If i eat roughly 1100 calories a day and burn off roughly 400... am i damaging myself??

plus i have decided to eat unlimited berries and fruit throughout the day because i enjoy them and its spring time!

Feeb , have a look for information on line about what you should be eating while tonning up . I'm sure there something out there

If i eat roughly 1100 calories a day and burn off roughly 400... am i damaging myself??

It's a little bit too low as that means you have only 900 cals to keep you alive (without exercise). You really need about 1100.

plus i have decided to eat unlimited berries and fruit throughout the day because i enjoy them and its spring time!

That'll help :clap: and they do make you feel like summer is on the way don't they.

lthough my online calorie counter reckons i should have MORE calories to combat those that i have lost... bit confused by this, surely that defeats the point??

I get what you mean, but most people that exercise do so so that they can eat more:p and to help combat the loss of muscle.

You may find that eating too few calories works in the short term, but it might actually cause a plateau. People are often surprised to find that eating a few more calories can give a bigger loss.

Yep, sound bizarre...calories all be equal and all that. It's just how the body uses the calories that can mean the difference between a weight loss and a plateau. Starvation mode and all that.

Another thing to remember is that 1,100 calories or less with 400 exercise cals is difficult to sustain, especially if you plateau. Fine for a couple of weeks, and you could even lose, but if you then start plateauing...or even if you continue to lose, it's difficult to keep up. I often find people decide to pack the whole thing in as they just can't do it for long. They then return to old habits.

Having more calories means you can keep doing the diet for longer. You feel less deprived. Less likely to fall off the wagon completely.

If you feel a little anxious increasing you calorie allowance, perhaps you could try eating half your exercise calories. Exercise is good, but it's not just to save on cals. You'll help protect muscle, get the old metabolism going :)

Last edited:
Feeb, I'm a bit confused at your two statements, calorie counting 1100 plus eating unlimited fruits and berries, this could easily allow you to eat more calories in a day than you are using. Fruit is definitely good as part of a healthy diet, it does contain quite a bit of sugar though.

A healthy diet and exercise you enjoy is ideal for losing and then maintaining weight, it is just a question of finding what suits you longterm.

nah i generally dont eat quite as many calories as i 'should' but it seems like SO much to eat... and i do add the amount of berries and the like that i eat ONTO my calorie sheet

i was just pretty confused by the whole workout eat LOADS thing. i will attempt to eat a bit more stuff on my days at the gym!

tbh i am usually eating between 1100 and 1200 calories and also going to the gym - i do add berries and fruit to my list and try and leave a bit of leway for having cups of tea, the odd extra grape or two

i know this isnt how i 'should' be doing it, but i am not going to let a diet take over my life, i want to be able to nick a chip of a mate occasionally, eat a berry if i feel like it and generally live as i did before, just an awful lot more healthy, checking the calories of what i eat before i eat it, making sure i am 'within' a boundary, if its a little bit short one day, likely hood is it will be increased the next

also i am going to gym every two days, along with swimming and classes as i choose

tbh i am finding it quite fun!! see how i go in a few weeks but at least i have people here to talk to about it.

thanks for the tips guys (particularly for that last post KD) xxxxXXXxxx

Back