Please help- new veg

lucylupin

Im trying to have at least 1 new food a day, and have just bought a parsnip and a swede, now im stuck what to do with them? Any ideas?

Cut the parsnips into chunky chips, parboil for a few minutes and then spray with frylight and roast until crispy. You can do the same with swede in chunks and then roast but I prefer to boil and mash swede.

parsnip is lovely roasted with some carrots and onion, mixed fresh herbs and if you have the syns a drizzle of honey over the top for the last few minutes of cooking time so they go nice and caramelised.

swede works great in stews and casseroles, or is good mashed as an alternative to potato, you can even top shepherds pie with it for a red day.

you could cut the swede into cubes and then boil it and mash it like you would potatoes, add small amount of butter and pepper.. you could roast the parsnips, could drizzle some honey on them

Thanks everyone, i will give thoose a go:)

I'm looking at new veg to i'm starting with celeriac and i'm going to mash it :D

As for swede I usually mash mine with black pepper.

I love mashed swede - I have it instead of mashed potato. I put white pepper in mine. Also is theres any left I just stick it in the freezer

Parsnips - lovely roasted

Yeah, roast parsnips are delish!

I'm also a celeriac fan - reminds me, i used to love slicing it very thin and layering with thin layers of potato, then baking in oven with milk / cream and topped with lots of cheese. Hmmm, not v SW friendly :( Might try a bit of experimentation and adapt it a bit, maybe cooking with stock or skimmed milk instead of the cream, and some reduced fat cheese on top.

Back