Please help.. URGENT!!! :(

Guys over the weekend I have felt really ill, gradually getting worse with cold/flu symptoms. Had a temperature last night but I've managed to get that down taking tablet form paracetamol. I have quite an Inflammed mouth/bumps at the back of throat and sore to swallow etc. NHS direct have told me to keep taking paracetamol and ibuprofen with water as it sounds like a viral infection. As I can't get into my GP until this week I need to know can I have ibuprofen? Or any other inflammatory tablets!? Or is there anything we can have on this diet to sooth us when we are ill? I've been sucking on ice cubes to try and relieve some discomfort but it hasn't helped much. This has been such a test alls i want is a nice bowl of soup or some toast :(!! Thanks in advance. Xxx

Hi, sorry to hear that you are ill. Not sure if you can take ibuprofen, but to be honest I would look after your health first and take what you need to get better and then when your feeling better get back on diet, there is no point in getting worst and ending up in hospital. Hope you feel better soon!

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly hun x

I've been on a variety of ibuprofen, codeine and anti-inflammatory tablets over the past 3 weeks due to a majorly sprained ankle and its all been fine....I did take them with my shakes as the docs did advise this in place of actual food.

ibuprofen is absolutely fine to take my dear as its in the same class as paracetamol really....xx

Ibruprofen is fine. :)

Get well soon :)

Oh do hope you feel better x

It could be viral but could also be bacterial/tonsillitis which would need a course of antibiotics. You could go to any walk in centre, urgent care centre or minor illness clinic rather than wait for a GP appointment or could even ask a pharmacist to examine your throat.

Could try gargling regularly with cooled down boiled water & salt, not nice but does help.

Yes to avoid any side effects would need to take ibuprofen after shake, which will have lined your stomach.
Can also buy enteric coated (EC) ibuprofen that are better for your stomach.

its completely safe to take ibuprofen as well as paracetamol as ibuprofen doesn't contain paracetamol. May be an idea to alternate them both so you can have some pain relief every 2 hours rather than taking them all together on a 4 hourly basis eg take at different start times: Paracetamol start at 8am & then Ibuprofen 10am then Paracetamol due again at 12md, just a reminder not to exceed the daily limits for both of them, all info on packet.

Just need to be cautious taking ibuprofen if asthmatic (can bring on an asthma attack) or have stomach ulcer/problems or allergic to any of ingredients.

if you can to try & have plenty of rest/sleep too. Could also by a throat spray from chemist that has anaesthetic ingredients to numb your throat area, I find they are a great help too.

Look after yourself & hope you start to feel better soon with all the above! Hopefully be so busy doing all of that will distract you from painful throat! X

i know it couldnt have happened at a worse time, but your health is more important and so your body needs proper energy to fight this virus. I would suggest that you take it easy and eat proper and healthy food until you are well enough to resume LT. Otherwise, i would suggest you contact your GP and pharmacist and ask them, hope you get well soon hun :)

Thank you for all your advice. It's def not tonsillitis as I had them removed a few years ago, feeling a little bit better in myself but its almost 4am and I'm having a hard time trying to get comfy to sleep. It's my weigh in day tomorrow so will ask the lady at the chemist what she thinks! Again thank you so much I don't know what I'd of done without all your helpful replies. Xxx

Back