• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Newbie with two questions

Hulahoopla

Hi

Apologies for the long post. I am new to Minmins this morning and have a couple of issues I need help with.

I started TS on 25th April and have 4st to lose overall.

Lost 8lb the first week. Now at the end of my second week, official weigh in day tomorrow. Had a sneaky weigh in mid-week and had lost a pound and a half, then was daft enough to have a sneaky weigh in this morning and I've put it back on. I know weightloss can be slower in week two, but has anyone else ever gained?

I have been 100% strict. I have three shakes a day made up with the 200ml of water plus masses of ice cubes, over 4l of water (I am used to drinking a lot of water anyway) and maybe 2 cups of black coffee - nothing else, every day, bar yesterday.

I suspect it could be the painkillers I've had to take. I have a broken tooth - dentist appointment tomorrow, and can only eat or drink if I take codeine/paracetamol and ibuprofen. I've had two lots of each over the last 48 hours. I know codeine can dehydrate, so I've drunk extra to be on the safe side - but still the weight gain. Also, the shakes seem to hurt worse than the food/bars, which I can eat on the other side, so yesterday I had porridge for breakfast, a shake for lunch and shepherds pie in the evening, whereas I had only had shakes up until then.

So frustrating to be back where I was a week ago, but am planning to plough on through and hope things improve once my tooth is fixed.

Second question:

I have an event coming up in just under three weeks. My husband and I will be going to a music festival with a gang of friends for four nights/three days. This is a annual event and a very rare opportunity for me to get a break and have some fun. We meet up with old friends we rarely get to see, have the odd bbq, a cooked breakfast on the Sunday and a few other treats etc. We do dance a lot and walk for miles though, so at least we burn some of it off!

I don't drink, so that's not an issue. I figured I could have the bbq burgers/sausages without the buns and as we have a caravan so can self-cater, be a bit more sensible than usual with my food, without making myself miserable with everyone around me indulging. I was hoping to have lost a stone and half by then. Planned to be sensible, but not a saint and allow for putting the half stone back on, getting straight back onto TS the morning we get back.

Only now I don't seem to be losing the weight fast enough to meet my first target or even a stone's loss at this rate and I'm wondering what other people would do. Would you just stick to the plan to be mostly sensible, with a couple of indulgences over the festival weekend or be strict and take your shakes and shaker with you?

It costs us such a lot of money to go and is a very rare chance for me to get out and enjoy myself, in fact it's a once a year chance really. I don't want to spend the whole weekend miserable and jealous of everyone else's meals.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

nattyclare78

Silver Member
Hi and welcome :)

with regards to the first question, it could be water retention. I have read today that being unwell can cause you to retain and so can painkillers. So that could be the explanation, once you are feeling better you will probably have a great loss.

With regards to question 2, I would say that is personal preference. I would have it as a planned break then get straight back on it but it depends how you feel about it. I, like you, have a holiday booked for the 1st July and have a target I would like to hit before then, but, I am not sure I will get there but will accept that, I am not drinking shakes on holiday and I am prepared that I will put weight on.
I think you will have to see how you feel, maybe do 2 meal packs and then a sensible choice for dinner?

Hope this helps
Natalie x

Hulahoopla

Thank you so much for replying, so sorry it's taken me so long to get back here, it's been a ridiculously busy week.

I think you were right about the water retention. After 48 hours without the codeine it suddenly started to shift. I lost 4lbs over the next couple of days and I've dropped 5 1/2 lbs so far this week, with my weigh in day being next Monday. Just 1 1/2 lbs to go now until I've lost the first stone. Such a relief!

I have bought some dhal pots and bars for my weekend away, as we'll be in a vintage caravan without electric hook-up, so no microwave.

I'm actually leaning towards just enjoying myself without going over the top and try to stick to low carb as much as possible, I know it will cause a gain, but I have to see this as a sustainable process, as I don't want to end up giving up and this is literally a once a year event/opportunity for me. I'm thinking perhaps an omelette or sausage and egg for breakfast and doing things like have the burger or sausage without a bun at the BBQ.

Lunches seem to be the hardest to plan for, especially as we traditionally have fresh baked baguettes with yummy fillings, so I may have a bar instead of lunch, but will take a view on that, depending on how miserable it makes me watching everyone else eating a lovely picnic. I'm hoping to buy a low carb loaf of bread to take with me, so at least I can have a sandwich if I'm not happy having a bar.

nattyclare78

Silver Member
That's ok, I know life is busy.

Well done on the weight loss, you are doing really well!

I have had a planned day off today for a birthday celebration and just enjoyed what I wanted to eat, I will get back on it tomorrow and refuse to feel guilty, I don't have a week off every 4 weeks and like you say this has to be sustainable and fit in with life.

Enjoy whatever you do