Please tell me this is free........

Using yoghurt as free food it gives me:

2½ Syns per 100g

I can't tell, it's not listed and the sins calculator only does grams and not mls. Putting the package size as 500 grams instead of mls brings a sin value of 19.5 but that really doesn't sound right to me :confused:

Surely it would be 4 syns (78 cals) per 100g/ml? No free food as it has sugar in it. Or am I wrong?

Having sugar in something doesn't make it not free. :confused:

I've used yoghurt as the free food as that's what it is - frozen yoghurt. If you look at the Ingredients for yoghurts that are free eg Total 0% they are listed the same - 1) Pasteurised Skimmed Cows' Milk 2) Live Active Yogurt Cultures. The sugar will give it the extra 2.5 syns on top, like I listed.

I might be wrong but as its not listed I am assuming i would be calculated this way?

I can't tell, it's not listed and the sins calculator only does grams and not mls. Putting the package size as 500 grams instead of mls brings a sin value of 19.5 but that really doesn't sound right to me :confused:

Grams and millilitres are equal for liquids.
The reason you've got 19.5 is you havent entered yoghurt as a free food so it's given you a straight 1 syn per 20 calories. I'm pretty sure this would qualify for a free food allowance as its just a frozen version of the standard thing, but I might be wrong. You can always ring the syns hotline to be sure :)

Having sugar in something doesn't make it not free. :confused:

I've used yoghurt as the free food as that's what it is - frozen yoghurt. If you look at the Ingredients for yoghurts that are free eg Total 0% they are listed the same - 1) Pasteurised Skimmed Cows' Milk 2) Live Active Yogurt Cultures. The sugar will give it the extra 2.5 syns on top, like I listed.

I might be wrong but as its not listed I am assuming i would be calculated this way?
Well I might be wrong too! .... but I think that if there is sugar rather than sweetener in yogurt, even fat free, then it will have syns. Total 0% does not contain sugar so that is why it is free. This is also why Onken fat free is no longer syn free, because they have swapped sweetener for sugar.

Well I might be wrong too! .... but I think that if there is sugar rather than sweetener in yogurt, even fat free, then it will have syns. Total 0% does not contain sugar so that is why it is free. This is also why Onken fat free is no longer syn free, because they have swapped sweetener for sugar.

But nobody's saying it doesnt have syns, in my first post I said:

"Using yoghurt as free food it gives me:

2½ Syns per 100g
"

:confused:

If it had no free food allowance it would be a straight 1 syn per 20 calories ie 4 syns per 100g
If it does have a free food allowance (ie yoghurt, because that's what it is) then it works out as 2.5 syns per 100g like I said at the very top of this post. The 2.5 syns will be for the sugar, like I said.

I am pretty sure frozen yoghurt doesnt qualify for a free food allowance (but dont quote me on that one). So it would be a straight 1 syn for 20 calories. Think it is because it falls into the dessert bracket. You would need to double check with slimming world, but I am pretty sure I have seen frozen yoghurts listed on syns online and they had no free food allowance. Ben n jerrys for instance do a frozen yoghurt.

You may well be right, I dont know. I emailed them yesterday so hopefully they will get back to us soon-ish :)

Here we go:

Many thanks for your email.

I wanted to let you know that we treat frozen yogurt like ice cream, and it doesn't get a Free Food allowance. Please calculate it again without the allowance for the Syn value

You are right to say when calculating chilled yogurts that contain sugar, the Syn calculator takes this into account.

I hope this helps

Warmest regards

So that settles that one - wonder not at the logic of SW reasoning :8855:

Back