Please urgent help needed :(

lisa7982

Hi Everyone

as you all now i had to make Monday my last day on Cambridge with xmas coming up and financial difficulties ...

I am seriously upset tonight now the last 2 days i have ate so healthy
Breakfast a bagel with low fat Philly and a slice of smoked ham

lunch - cuppa soup and a slice of bread

Dinner - 2 x small wraps with Chicken peppers and cucumber and a tiny spot of sweet chilli sauce

Snack - Pomegranate

Now maybe i am being naive thinking this is healthy but compared to what i used to eat it is very heathy (i dont do alot of salad or veg )

I have just weighed myself tonight and i am 11st 3lbs baring in mind it is night time

But last week i was 11 at night which means i have gained 3lbs of my 12 loss already.

can anyone give me some advice on what i should and shouldnt eat straight after cambridge ? mybe im doing it all wrong
Thanks in advance
Lisax

Low carbs, hun...the best diet you can do (but not strictly atkins - cos they allow you to eat fats like cream and cheese)

Typical breakfast: Omlette and grilled bacon
Lunch: chicken breast or ham and salad
Tea: Fish, poached egg and green veggies

Lots of water - still two litres a day.

Becuase you are putting carbs back in your body after CD, its turning to glucose and then water retention. If you can strip back bread, potatoes and pasta and white rice..... you will be on to a winner x

Sorry I don't have much experience in this, but i reckon a good idea would be sticking low carb/high protein diet. So chicken, veg, fruit etc. Try and introduce more carbs gradually so your body gets used to it. I don't know if that's right but it's what I would do :)

Agree with Kirsty - keep off the bread, pasta, wraps,potatoes etc - its the carbs that are the killer. Hope you can find a balance that works for you (i'm not a salad lover either - lettuces etc are meant for rabbits!)

Good Luck

thank you for that example hun , is there anywhere that has typical daily options i could look

i thought i was doing ok i love a bagel lol and phili

i dont really have the time to make things like omlette in the mornings and m work does not have the facilities to make this when there.

i am so utterly gutted honesty like u would not believe im still drinking loads of water x i love salad but i contradict it with dressings lol
i so do not want to be back at square one this is me only off it my 2nd day :( xx

could you boil eggs the night before?

my daughters weird and loves a boiled eggs in the car on the way to school lol

dont worry too much bout the 3lb its your glycogen stores and thier associated water, thats why on the steps up on cambridge carbs are intro'ed slowly so that your still loosing as they top up so you dont see that weight on the scales.

a low carb/gi diet would be best if your hoping to continue the weight loss while your off cd

Bagels have a rep for being a "good" food but they really aren't as good as they seem particularly if they are white ones. As the others say you will have a fast initial "gain" due to your body re-adjusting to being off CD but it is not fat gain so don't stress about it. Remember to keep measuring your inches rather than just judging by the scales.

How about using the CD refeed programmes as a guide?

Hi gg

I was only give the one book by my cd :( so not sure on whats allowed what isnt x

its brown bagel i been using x with low fat garlic n herb phili with a slice of think smoked ham x
for tomorrow i had planned the same breakie , cupa soup for lunch and smoked sausage with somethig for dinner but again bad for me .. hope i get this back off in next few days as im still drinking loads of water xx

CD advocates the Glycaemic Index but the Glycaemic Load has overtaken that and has been shown to be more effective for weighloss. Glycemic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia may help you and then there are various websites listing the load of different foods.

Be careful with brown bagels that they are actually wholegrain and not just "white dyed brown".

ok - brace yourself for lovely things to eat that are low carb:

Oopsie rolls are AMAZING and can be eaten like a bread. Make them in batches and keep like bread.

Boiled eggs and mayo (full fat mayo, not diet believe it or not). Boil your eggs at night and make them into a mayo and have for breakfast with crispy bacon.

Cook chicken breast in advance. Wrap in bacon and fill with garlic butter (not marg). Have with brocolli and cabbage - yummy

Fridge raiders chicken bites

Pork scratchings - have loads!

As much meat as you like - serve with mushroms, green veggies and add garlic for flavour

Omlettes with green peppers

Make little omlettes in cupcake tins with mushrom and bacon, cook in the oven and save for snacks

Mince meat mixed with an egg to make a burger, fry it, add cheese.

pork mince combined with an egg and mushrooms and curry powder. form into patties and fry to make curried pork burger

make a cauliflower, mash it with butter and add mustard powder.....yummers

Last edited:
Drool drool drool!

I'd stick with lower carbs and higher protein as the protein will keep you fuller for longer. can you not afford say some slim fast powder stuff and use that a couple of times a day and eat a main meal for tea and then a few healthy snacks like fruit.

if i get the time today i'll post about the higher plans but they usually have at least 1 shake in there.

i know that porridge is very good and quick. 30g of porridge made with half water and half milk is a good breakfast and is on the 1200 plan. also a boiled egg and a slice of wholemeal toast with a piece of fruit is in there too. tea is a larger portion of protein served with potatoes, pasta and veg option. then some more fruit (stay away from bananas as they're very high in sugar). if i were you i'd try to look at the atkins and loosely follow it. i know that they've improved it by adding more veg in there now. stay away from bread products if you can and eat wholemeal/brown/wild where ever possible (like pasta, rice etc)

stay with skim milk and if totally necessary low fat spread.

also exercise will help to burn off some cals and burn fat if you do interval training. protein shakes are also a good way of warding off hunger if you are working out hard.

Yeh, you've gotta avoid 'stodgy' stuff, like Bread, Rice pasta etc. If you have to have it, have the brown version. It's ooooo hard though x

right here are all the options:-

3 cd shakes
340ml of skim milk

3 tbls of veg or salads choose from:-
  • green salad leaves e.g rocket, lamb's lettuce, watercress etc
  • celery
  • cucumber
  • red radishes
  • courgettes or marrow
  • spinach
  • kale
  • turnip or taro tops
  • chinese leafy greens e.g pak choi
  • broccoli
  • cauli
  • cabbage (even pickled)
  • asparagus
  • fennel
  • celeriac
  • mushrooms

one portion of the following:-

• 250g plain cottage cheese (5% fat)
  • 325g of reduced fat cottage cheese (less than 2% fat)
  • 175g of chicken breast without skin or fat
  • 275g white fish
  • 260g canned tuna in water drained
  • 190g of fresh tuna steak
  • 275g quorn pieces
  • 2 eggs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is where it gets complicated as there are 2 options. i'll put just one down....

2cd sachets
284ml

breakfast - it's recommended that you have a cd shachet here and also choose one of the following (150cals)
  • 40g no added sugar muesli using milk from daily allowance
  • 2 shredded wheat using milk from DA
  • bowl of porridge 2tbsp with half half water/milk mix (i use the ready made packets)
  • one boiled egg, small slice of granary bread with scraping of VLF spread
or choose fruits to make 150cals
  • 100g raspberries 25cal
  • 100g strawberries 27cal
  • 110g grapefruit - half med 33 cals
  • 110g peach - large 50 cals
  • 100g apple med 51 cals
  • 150g pear 51 cal
  • 90g grapes 54cal
  • 100g 57 cal
  • 60g half a banana 57cals
  • 100g kewi fruit 58 cals
  • 32g apricots dried 60cal
  • 165g plums 60 cals
  • 160g orange 60cal

lunch - a bowl of salad leaves (recommended you use one of your CD sachets here too)

dinner - main course+fruit 460cals
choose a starchy food from the following list:-
  • 40g dry weight of brown or basmati rice, couscous or wholemeal pasta
  • 150g of sweet potato
  • 100g baked potato with skin
  • 200g new potatoes
then add a source of protein cooked without fat:-
  • 175g chicken or turkey breast
  • 275g white fish
  • canned or fresh tuna as the 810
  • 275g quorn pieces/mince
  • 260g 5% fat plain cottage cheese
  • 330g less than 2% fat cottage cheese
add a portion of veg as 810
add fruit to 50cal value

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 cd products
284ml of milk

breakfast 250cal option (1cd sachet rec)
  • segment half a grapefruit and small orange top with 150g of diet yog. add a slice of granary bread with low fat spread and reduced sugar jam
  • thick slice of granary toast with LF spread and marmalade, clementine or small peach. 150g diet yog
  • two grilled tomatoes with one large egg scrambled with milk from daily portion. served on granary toast. use spread to cook egg or spread on toast
  • 250ml of pure fruit smoothie (150cal of fruit), 3 rye crispbread spread with VLF soft cheese

lunch 200 cal (and one cd sachet)
  • ham and tomato pasta salad - 30g pasta, mix 1tsp yog with 1tsp of tom puree. chop toms and add 40g ham and 40g cucumber with one stick of celery and mix with the yog and tom puree. served over the pasta
  • potato and chick pea salad - mix 3 new pots 120g with 1tbsp of fat free dressing, 2 tbsp of chick peas and serve on a bed of lettuce.
  • low cal cup a soup (less than 70 cals) - dip in 2 mini pitta bread. bowl of side salad to accompany with 1tsp LF dressing.

dinner and dessert 370 cals

choose a dinner to the value of 300 cals (you could choose
  • something from the 810 as these tend to be around 300 cals).
  • add at least 1 portion (80g) of veg
  • add a fruit portion to the value of 70 cals

these tend to be not as exciting and more restrictive, i find anyway. i think they're trying to move you away and get you thinking for yourself. there are examples of recipes that you could use like you could have quorn burger and veg, tuna lasagne, prawn stir fry etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 cd sachet
426ml of milk

breakfast is 300cals
  • fruit smoothie blending one small banana, 80g strawberries, 150g pot of LF yog, one slice of granary toast with LF spread, 1tsp marmalad.
  • two rashers lean back bacon, grilled on one slice of wholemeal toast with 2 grilled tomatoes. finish with another slice of toast and a scraping of LF spread.
  • 50g sugar-free muesli with extra fruit, one pot of low fat fruit yog, one small orange using milk from allowance
  • 40g all bran with 2 tbsp sultanas using milk from allowance. 1 250ml glass freshly squeezed orange juice

lunch 350cals plus 50cals of fruit
  • one pitta bread with 50g LF hummus, 6 cherry toms, cucumber and 80g grapes.
  • 2 slices rye bread and one slice premium ham, LF spread, 1 med sliced tom. one packet less than 3% fat crisps or savour snack.
  • 250 fresh tom soup or other around the 115cal mark. small granary roll filled with heaped LF cottage cheese. 100g diet fromage frais.
  • potato and egg salad. one boiled egg, 3 cooked new potatoes, level TBSP LF mayo, 90g cooked green beans topped with chives and a few olives.
  • small baked pot (100g) filled with 50g chicken mixed with one DTSP mango chutney and one TBSP greek yog. serve with salad of watercress, lettuce and chopped satsuma.
  • Home-made mackeral pate/dip (mash 2 small smoked fillets with 250g ricotta, juice of half a lemon, TBSP parsley, black pepper). eat one quarter with 5 breadsticks (or 1 slice of bread) and use one carrot and celery to dip.
add a portion of fruit 50cals

dinner is 350 cals plus a dessert of 150 cals
  • cod with linguine and side salad
  • gammon steaks with chips and chili citrus pinapple salasa
  • vegetarian moussaka
  • Ratatouille with tofu and french bread
  • paella
  • lemony chicken stir fry
  • these are all book recipes but you could make a dinner up for 350 cals.
dessert list
  • one meringue nest filled with 100g strawberries topped with one TBSP greek yog
  • mix the juice of one lime and one tsp of honey and one tsp sugar. use it to coat cubes of pineapple and pawpaw (or other fruit). slide onto skewers and grill so the fruit is slightly browned.
  • hot fruit compote (serves 4) - in a wok or large saucepan gently heat 30g unsalted butter and one TBSP honey. add 250g each raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries and stir over a gently heat until the fruit is just soft. serve at once.
  • serving of fruit sorbe and one small biscuit
a snack of 100cals
  • 2 mini or one large scotch pancake or one mini hot cross bun spread with VLF spread
  • two choc chip cookies
  • four mini cocktail sausages
  • 2TBSP sultanas
  • 150ml glass of wine
  • half pint of normal strength larger
  • fruit based ice lollies or sorbets - see packs

Last edited:
Hi Great things

That is so so helpful thank you ery much for taking the time to do that for me also Kirsty your food examples are very appetizing may be giving that a go

goingt o go out tomorrow and buy some slim fast and i will have that for breakfast and lunch and have the odd healthy snack save my meal for the evening

Omg you guys are so supportive and would not believe how much i appreciate all you help :) xx

Could you buy a big tub of protein shake? You can get a massive one for like 20 quid online. Slim Fast is full of sugar!

Glad you know what to eat now :)

can anyone recommend a good protien shake that helps weight loss x to keep up wat i have started x

i know atkins do a protein shake, a powdered one and the carbs will be lower in that. possibly available in boots.

the chocolate rotal shakes are LUSH but pricey
slimfast is rank but its a matter of taste and the drums work out to be a LOT cheaper

Back