polenta???

Hi y'all

I'm planning on making the syn free muffins with polenta from sainsburys, but I've read conflicting posts about whether you need to syn the polenta or whether it's free.

Has anyone tried the muffins and ended up gaining weight, or suffered a lower weight loss?

Can anyone shed some light on the whole polenta / muffin business....

The reason I'm asking is that rotisserie chicken is syns according to a class leader I spoke to in week 1 and I have ate loads and still lost weight, so you sometimes wonder :sigh:

Okay, two different opinions on this - in your book next to polenta there is an asterisk, this says that if polenta is used as a flour substitute then it is synned - therefore the syn free muffins are not syn free.

Some consultants allow this and lasagne doritos and cous cous cake etc, mine does not advocate this so therefore I've never really done it.

The other school of thought is that if you can eat them without gaining or affecting your losses then where is the harm?

It's up to you - make them and see how you go but if you end up gaining or struggling to lose then cut them out or syn them!

Free foods aren't there so you can have your cake and eat it!!!

Is the chicken only synnable - spelling ? if you eat the skin ?

My leader has always said that you can eat as much supermarket chicken as you wish as long as it has the skin removed... after all what's the difference with one that you would roast yourself ?

Interesting one this...

mine too.. screw all this buisness, im gunna go ahead and make the muffins. Now were do i find this polenta shizzle? and does it ahve to be ground/ or what.. (please bare in mind i dont know what polenta is?)

Fern you are funny! You find the polenta shizzle either with the rices or the dried pulses/grains. Not all supermarkets have it though, big branches of tesco/asda but M&S do have it as do waitrose!
You can get it in a block format which is for slicing and frying - you don't want that one! Oh and don't get the ground one, get the grain one.

Enjoy them!

mine too.. screw all this buisness, im gunna go ahead and make the muffins. Now were do i find this polenta shizzle? and does it ahve to be ground/ or what.. (please bare in mind i dont know what polenta is?)

They sell it in sainsburys. am going up there now to get some :)

Is the chicken only synnable - spelling ? if you eat the skin ?

My leader has always said that you can eat as much supermarket chicken as you wish as long as it has the skin removed... after all what's the difference with one that you would roast yourself ?

Interesting one this...

The leader said it's because of the glucose that they inject into the chickens, but I carried on losing even after eating loads of the stuff (without the skin and fat ofcourse) :)

I agree though, if you buy one raw it's likely to have the same stuff in it - unless you buy organic / free range / from a farm??

The leader said it's because of the glucose that they inject into the chickens, but I carried on losing even after eating loads of the stuff (without the skin and fat ofcourse) :)

I agree though, if you buy one raw it's likely to have the same stuff in it - unless you buy organic / free range / from a farm??

i am pretty certain it's the same, and i'd say probably lower in fat as it is rotisseried rather than roasted so all the fat comes out anyway.

well I got back from shopping a little while ago and managed to snag a couple of bags of polenta, the only thing was that it was with the dried pulses - lentils, peas etc - and not with the cous cous or rice. Confusing

The consultant that took over class this week as my usual one is on holidays, and she keeps all the old magazines, so she let me borrow a few for extra inspirattion.. and i noticed a recipe that had POLENTA in it, which was completly syn free. cant remmeber what is was (helpful i know) BUT. Thought i'd share .. although it appears as youv already bought it you also dont care like me :D LOL x

Here is my opinion on this whole debate, if you can count something as syn free and your losses don't suffer carry on - as soon as they slow down you know the number one thing to change. If you can have curly wurly everyday and get away with it - go for it, it's not healthy, and it probably will catch up with you real fast, but if you can get away with it carry on :D (This is why I will never be a consultant)

022332.jpg

I'm on the extra easy plan this week, so don't know what my weight loss will be like (was previously on original).

But I thought I would make it anyways and see how things go. There are so many conflicting views out there... Plus I generally average 10 syns per day, so if there is a value, hopefully it'll be absorbed by the sysns I generally don't use... we'll see.

Am going to try the lemon cake recipe first (which is synned) - can't wait!

Polenta

Fern you are funny! You find the polenta shizzle either with the rices or the dried pulses/grains. Not all supermarkets have it though, big branches of tesco/asda but M&S do have it as do waitrose!
You can get it in a block format which is for slicing and frying - you don't want that one! Oh and don't get the ground one, get the grain one.

Enjoy them!

I looked all over for polenta, finally found in an asian shop. Got quite excited and bought a massive bag to make the muffins. Made the cherry muffins, looked fine when put in case and came out green. I think it was the yellow of the polenta with the purple/pink of the muller. Told my grandchildren they were Shrek cakes so someone would eat them. They work at at 3 to 4 syns per muffins. You could eat a Sainbury's good for you muffin for that with less hassle. I was told in the asian shop that pastry is good made with polenta, it would be syns again though.

I suspect it's being used as a breadcrumb substitute. It's a finely ground maize and tastes good.
How old was the recipe? Polenta used to be a free food on green but is now not a free food so it would need to be synned.

Back