Pootler's Going-It-Alone Diary

Saturday March 5th

So. Nearly two weeks off plan. Not disastrously - those G-stars still fit - but not great either. Something about being back home with my parents sends me running to the biscuit tin. And then a stressful, busy week back in Holland, plus PMT made it really hard to get back on the wagon properly. I have grazed and nibbled and scarfed all week. But I did usually have my third superfree.

Anyway, the good news is that I bought a suitcase full (a small one mind) of stuff back with me:

• sugar free jelly
  • low cal mayo (and then finally found some here this week)
  • WW whip puddings
  • golden syrup (for SW rochers)
  • mug shots
  • pasta 'n' sauce
  • flumps
  • curly wurlies
  • fry-light
  • harvest morn bars
  • alpen lights (and then a Dutch equivalent turned up at the supermarket this week)
  • options
  • highlights
  • tea bags :)

Today was a good day and included a bit of exercise, which did me the world of good. I can't walk far because of a bad back, so it was hard to get any exercise in at all at Mum's, and that had a knock on effect. I'm just not very good at surviving this diet when my routine is distrupted.

Anyway, here's todays menu. :)

BREAKFAST
Hadn't done the shop yet and we had no eggs, or even milk. So breakfast was:
  • two muesli bars (B)
  • snackajack (3)
  • options (2)
  • vitamins (1)

LUNCH
  • prawns
  • lo-cal mayo (1)
  • green salad
  • tomatoes
  • grated carrot

DINNER
  • Thai green curry with chicken and prawns (made with light soya milk from allowance and I'm fairly sure that everything else in it was free)
  • mange tout
  • scan bran carrot cake (1)

EXTRAS
  • SW jaffa cake (3.5)
  • coffee with semi-skimmed evaporated milk (0.5)
  • SW jelly sweeties (1)
  • 1 finger of kit-kat (2.5)
  • 350ml light soya milk (A)

TOTAL SYNS

EXERCISE
Bike, 20 minutes, plus cycling to shops and back, and sports center and back - about 15 minutes

Being with my parents makes me a big potty too but I get really strict and won't eat any syns. It's very odd. I'm sure you'll get back to normality soon and the g stars will be too big!!! Xxxx

Being with my parents makes me a big potty too but I get really strict and won't eat any syns. It's very odd. I'm sure you'll get back to normality soon and the g stars will be too big!!! Xxxx

What is it about parents, even when you adore them, that slightly unhinges you? I really thought I'd be fine this time. I ADORE my Mum. And she does SW. AND I was in charge of cooking all week, so I only have myself to blame. Ah well. I was aware of doing it, and why. And there was only maybe one morning that I went completely bonkers. :)

I'm back to normal now, staying within syns even with all the sweet stuff my PMT is demanding. And I'm sure you're right about the G-Stars. You might need to tell me that a few more times though! Thank you for saying it though, bless your heart, it really did me good to read it. :)

In the meantime, I've sort of reached another goal. I'm in a size 48 in some plus sized brands, but not in other brands. My old favourite size 48 jeans are fastenable but not breathable. ;-) So, nearly there, but not crossing it off the list yet.

Sunday March 6th

PMT is driving me nuts with the munchies, but I'm keeping the damage to a minimum with lots of low syn treats. Would have been only a tiny bit over syns today if I hadn't given in to some lovely, crunchy, spice covered chicken skin. :sigh:

BREAKFAST
Up at the crack of dawn with a poorly kid, so I had 2 breakfasts. (Hubby says I'm a Hobbit anyway.)
1st Breakfast:
  • muesli bar
  • banana
  • 3 clementines

2nd Breakfast:

• 2 rashers bacon
  • mushrooms
  • courgette
  • 1 egg
  • vitamins (1)

LUNCH
  • sweet potato fritata with spinach, onion and peppers (1 egg)
  • 42g LF cheese (a)
  • salad
  • low-cal mayo (0.5)
  • choc orange muesli bar warmed up, with peach quark on top. Nom! :D

DINNER
  • speedy soup
  • roast chicken
  • roasted sweet potato
  • 1.5 tbsp curry ketchup (1.5)
  • pudding made with orange jelly, peach quark and chocolate WW whip pudding (2)

EXTRAS
  • milk in tea and coffee (1)
  • SW carrot cake (2)
  • 6 SW fererro rochers (own recipe) (7.5)
  • chicken skin (about 5?)
  • melon
  • kiwi

TOTAL SYNS

EXERCISE
Bike, 30 minutes

Last edited:
roast chicken skin is tooooo tempting isn't it!! and reading the words curry ketchup make me want a bratwurst...NOW!!

your visit home sounds like a mixture of good and bad - its often like that eh? I'm almost 40 but still regress when sitting in the back of the car with parents in front making the same comments still.....

STILL got the munchies, still craving sweet stuff. Still fighting them with low-syn treats. :)

At least today I was prepared for it, and didn't go over my syns. I feel guilty eating the yummy stuff, feel guilty for using my HEXB for snacks... I just have to believe that as long as my portions are reasonable and I'm sticking to the plan, that it will be ok. I look at other people's diaries and they seem to be eating so little compared to me, so I worry.

This is when I wish I could get on the scales, and at the same time it's probably the worst time to get on them. I know that getting on the scales will send me off this diet.

I know it's probably a hormonal thing, but I'm going to replace my flavoured water with plain water and see if that helps.

BREAKFAST
  • vitamins (1)
  • 2 rashers bacon
  • courgette
  • cherry tomato
  • mushrooms
  • 1/4 tin beans
  • flourless pancakes (2 eggs)
  • 1 tsp golden syrup (1.5)
  • Walden Farms no-cal caramel dip

LUNCH
  • sweet potato and quorn frittata with peppers and onion (2 eggs)
  • 20g low-fat cheese & 1 mini babybel (a)
  • spinach
  • grated carrot
  • 1 tbsp ketchup (1)
  • SW blancmange (2)

DINNER
  • chicken
  • extra low-fat mayo (1)
  • green salad
  • grated carrot
  • SW blancmange (2)
  • muesli bar (b)

EXTRAS
  • 2 SW fererro rocher (2.5)
  • muesli bar (b)
  • apple
  • 2 satsumas
  • apple quark
  • milk (1)

TOTAL SYNS
EXERCISE
none

Last edited:
No need to worry! I think your meal looks excellent and very healthy - it just looks like more because you list everything out, but it's not a lot and this is a good way to list it! :)

No need to worry! I think your meal looks excellent and very healthy - it just looks like more because you list everything out, but it's not a lot and this is a good way to list it! :)

Ah, do you think? Thank you. I did wonder if it was the obsessive way I was listing everything. But I do feel like I'm always eating! About half of each meal is superfree, so maybe it is ok. We'll see in a month or so, if I'm a size smaller. Or - eek! - bigger. ;-)

roast chicken skin is tooooo tempting isn't it!! and reading the words curry ketchup make me want a bratwurst...NOW!!

your visit home sounds like a mixture of good and bad - its often like that eh? I'm almost 40 but still regress when sitting in the back of the car with parents in front making the same comments still.....

Bratwurst! Preferably with gluhwein. In the snow. Followed by a Belgian waffle with whipped cream. Mmmmmm...

You know it was exactly what you said - hearing my parents have the same conversations that they've always had and then having the same conversations with my mother as I've always had - that set me off I think. And eating is the way I used to deal with it.

Must come up with a game plan for the next visit!

Tuesday March 8th

BREAKFAST
  • vitamins (1)
  • 1 slice WM toast (b)
  • 1/2 can beans
  • mushrooms
  • quorn
  • melon

LUNCH
  • smash pizza made with:
  • 42g low-fat cheese (a)
  • loads of home made tomato sauce
  • mushrooms
  • quorn
  • spinach
  • bacon
  • chocolate tofu pudding with coconut (1.5)

DINNER
  • diet coke chicken with peppers
  • rice
  • stir fried veg (mange tout, peppers, beansprouts, carrots, spring onions)
  • rice pudding (2)

EXTRAS
  • apple
  • SW jelly sweeties (0.5)
  • Semi-skimmed milk (0.5)
  • sneaky tastes of Mona pudding (Grrrr... maybe 6?)
  • 1 finger kit kat (2.5)
  • muesli bar (b)

TOTAL SYNS

EXERCISE
swimming, 30 minutes

Wednesday March 9th

I think I got my mojo back. Halleluja. :D I've felt more in control yesterday, much more in control today. We went for all-you-can-eat sushi again, but I planned what i was going to eat beforehand and stuck to that. OK, I could have stopped eating earlier, but it was a big improvement on last time. The great thing about sushi is that I never really liked the fried dishes anyway, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out with my choices. :)

Oh and after eating it twice, I think I can safely say I do NOT like diet coke chicken. Yuck.

BREAKFAST
  • rice pudding (milk from allowance)
  • low cal jam (2)
  • satsuma

LUNCH
  • diet coke chicken
  • stir fried veg
  • apple quark

DINNER
  • sushi
  • sashimi
  • edamame
  • grilled veggies (maybe 6 syns for oil?)
  • rum & diet coke (2.5)

EXTRAS
  • apple
  • 2 muesli bars (b)
  • 250 ml milk (a)
  • cherry tomatoes
  • 1 finger kit kat (2.5)
  • 4 slices turkey roll

TOTAL SYNS

EXERCISE
none

Last edited:
Hey Pootler,

Just dropping by to say hi. Hope you're well and that it's all going fine xxxx

Ah, thanks Jules. I'm doing great actually. :) How about you? You're quite close to target now, aren't you?

Thankyou Pootler, yes I'm
3.5lb away now. Hopefully not too long!

Glad to hear you've got your mojo back, you seem to be doing really well. Sushi is amazing, am so jealous of your all you can eat sushi place! Wish we had one round here!!! Xxxx

Your willpower is a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. I notice on two seperate occasions you have only had one finger of a Kit Kat. If it were me I would not be able to resist the other!! :D

You are doing really well :)

Your willpower is a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. I notice on two seperate occasions you have only had one finger of a Kit Kat. If it were me I would not be able to resist the other!! :D

You are doing really well :)

Ha! I don't know what was going on there actually. I find it really hard to stop with any kind of chocolate, normally. I thought it was a bit odd, being able to have just one. Made up for it today by having 2 and a half. ;)

Thursday March 10th 2011

Nothing to report today except that I woke up ravenous and had a big breakfast. And then nommed through most of my syns before lunchtime!

BREAKFAST
  • 2 weetabix (b)
  • vitamins (1)
  • satsuma
  • 2 rashers bacon
  • 1 egg
  • mushrooms
  • courgette
LUNCH
  • pasta
  • courgette
  • bolognese sauce
  • strawberry quark
DINNER
  • 1 scan bran (1)
  • 2 teaspoons peanut butter (3)
  • speedy soup
  • 2 kiwis
  • crab sticks
  • rice pudding & apple quark
  • SW jelly sweeties (0.5)

EXTRAS
  • 250 ml skimmed milk (a)
  • 2.5 fingers Kit Kat (7)
  • flump (1.5)
  • chocolate tofu pudding (1)
  • satsumas
  • banana
TOTAL SYNS

EXERCISE
30 minutes, bike

Last edited:
Friday March 11th - first ever green day!

I've been too much of a scaredy cat to try red and green days so far, and just stuck to EE. But this morning I used up a lot of a HEXA for breakfast, and then remembered I'd promised my hubby Britmum's carbonara tonight, which would need another HEXA. And I didn't have many syns left. So I tried a green day.

Dear lord, how on earth can you eat all that and still lose weight? TWO lots of healthy extras? And no 1/3 superfree? it is liberating, but scary. Like dietary bungee jumping I suppose. :)

I've got lots more green days and red ones planned over the next couple of weeks. If you see me doing anything wrong, could you please put me right? And would someone please tell me if my portion sizes are ok, because I'm going to panic a bit at first on red and green....

In other news, it's * week so of course I've gone over my syns. By 1 syn. :) Rather proud of meself I am. :angel09:

BREAKFAST
  • 2 weetabix (1b)
  • banana
  • apple
  • milk from allowance

LUNCH
  • couscous (about 1/2 a cup dried)
  • 1/3 tin cannelini beans
  • 1 apricot (1)
  • 4 cherry toms
  • green salad
  • fat free dressing
  • 125 ml peach quark (about 60 cals)

DINNER
  • spaghetti carbonara (1a for parmesan, 1b for bacon and ham - had less than the allotted 85g though) About 75g dried pasta.

EXTRAS
  • choc coconut tofu pudding (1)(1/4 pack silken tofu)
  • highlights (2)
  • grapes
  • satsuma
  • 2 fingers Kit Kat (5.5)
  • 2 muesli bars (1b)
  • 250ml semi-skimmed milk (1a)

TOTAL SYNS

EXERCISE
bike, 40 minutes

Last edited:
Back