Portion control

rosinakathleen

Big, busty and Blowsy!
Do anyone else suffer from this?
If I cook to much I look at it on my plate and hear my Mum say "Eat, up the starving children in Africa would love to eat that" so I battle to eat it.
BUT..... If I cook a smaller portion, my "fatty" head panic and say "Thats way to little! You'll starve!"
There's no winning in my head! Damned if I do, and damned if I don't!

Oh god yeah!!! This is my problem too. I just pile my plate high with free foods and dig in!!

I wouldn't worry too much though. I have found that my stomach is shrinking naturally and I dont want to eat anywhere near as much as i used to when i first started.

I used to suffer with this and its perfectly natural Huni.
I've had a gastric band to stop me from going through this all the time and ok its a little extreme for some people, but my problem has always been quantity not quality of food.
Just stop and think....compare your plate sizes to friends and family, would they eat that quantity??
It does get better with time I promise you!!!

I know my mum was cooking for 9 of us, on just my dad's wages, so food wasn't a luxury. Another great saying of hers was "If you don't eat your dinner, you'll have it for breakfast".
I suppose every penny counted and so food couldn't be wasted.
Every thing she cooked was from scratch, like steamed steak and kidney pudding mince and onion pie etc. No ready meals in them days!

I know my mum was cooking for 9 of us, on just my dad's wages, so food wasn't a luxury. Another great saying of hers was "If you don't eat your dinner, you'll have it for breakfast".
I suppose every penny counted and so food couldn't be wasted.
Every thing she cooked was from scratch, like steamed steak and kidney pudding mince and onion pie etc. No ready meals in them days!

Hats off to your mum for doing that!! I feel guilty if I don't do home cooked meals and there's only 3 of us...

That said, in answer to your thread - I do eat big portions too and often have seconds when I know I shouldn't really do so but I love my food and enjoy it so much.
It hasn't done me any harm eating big portions and more harm is done by not eating enough really, that's when I tend to fall off the wagon as i get so hungry by cutting my food down.
So try to enjoy what you do eat and ignore those "guilty" feelings, whichever they may be. :)

I'm finding that as I'm getting closer to target I simply can't get away with big portions even if it's free food with loads of speeds thrown in, my appetite is still the same but the scales won't allow it. V frustrating! Does anyone else find this?

I'm finding that as I'm getting closer to target I simply can't get away with big portions even if it's free food with loads of speeds thrown in, my appetite is still the same but the scales won't allow it. V frustrating! Does anyone else find this?

It took me 6 long months to lose my last half stone. It's slow and steady, I had loads of speed foods and cut down on my syns as I got closer. It just takes time and it will happen.
Success express worked for me but I could only do it for one week not successive weeks as it felt too much like a diet!

It took me 6 long months to lose my last half stone. It's slow and steady, I had loads of speed foods and cut down on my syns as I got closer. It just takes time and it will happen.
Success express worked for me but I could only do it for one week not successive weeks as it felt too much like a diet!

Thanks hun, it's a real struggle sometimes isn't it. I've got 9.5lb to go and it's just not shifting. Only just discovered this forum, the support is great.

Im learning 2 be a lot better with portion sizes and having 'normal' portions....the time I really struggle is when I make pasta.....I make way 2 much and, although it free on green, I still think I have too much cos i wake up next morning feeling bloated and it shows on scales, even if only temporarily

I used to struggle with the 'there's not much on my plate' syndrome. So I bought myself (this might sound daft) a nice plate that I really liked, but smaller than my usual pig trough sized dinner plates. It's not quite a dinner plate but it's not a sandwich size plate if you know what I mean. This makes portion control a lot easier. By the time I've got meat and two or three veggies on the plate, it's full. I know it's psychological, but it convinces me LOL

Why not cook up a big portion, but only dish out half, making sure you leave another full portion behind. Maybe put it in a tupperware at the same time that you dish up your dinner. That way, you know that if you REALLY wanted it, it's there, but if you save it, you'll have another yummy portion tomorrow for your lunch or the next night's dinner! It's a win/win situation! :)

Back