Portion size? - mashed potatoes

Maximus

Gold Member
Now I know people say on SW it's all about control and no limits. On extra easy today I am planning good ol' bangers & mash with onion gravy.

In order to calculate syns for butter/milk I need to know what people consider a portion of potato.

Does 250g-300g (per person) sound about right?

A secondary question, is it suitable for batch freezing as unlike shop-bought mash it will not be full of preservatives etc.

I personally tried freezing mash, and it just wasn't that nice. It kinda went to water :(

And as for portion size, I'm a mash fiend, so can't really be helpful! I kinda do mine in terms of potato size, so perhaps 1 baked potato sized potato per person.

I just like to retain some sort of control, you know. Looking at recipes online, 250-300g seems ok. Add to that the onion gravy then a load of veg for the superfree, should be a good warmer!

Can't believe I'm looking for a warmer in July, but that's the northeast for you!

When I made yesterday's fisherman's pie I worked on 250g of mash each. If that helps...

Thanks Mollusc;)

Approx 1/2lb in real money:cool:

This portion control is a pain! - at least with pasta or rice it advises on the packet!

I only work in g and kg... but I am a scientist. ;)

Yeah, I tend to stick by portions on packages, just cause otherwise i cook waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much and I make the dog get fat with all the leftovers!

Yum yum! Mash and gravy! :D I follow the same kind of measurement as Tinytootz and just use a baking sized potato per person. I don't put milk in mine, just a little bit of butter and lots of black pepper.

Well, I used all 15 syns on ww sausages, Bisto Best Gravy granules and Flora extra-light margarine (some s/s milk from HEX A allowance)

Even managed to add onions for onion gravy and the rest of the superfree came courtesy of loads of mixed veg.

Was a fantabulous winter warmer:)

Yummmy!!!!! I love sausages & mash, we're having that for dinner tuesday, with Joe's sausages... for freeness!!!!!! :D

Mmm good ol' sossidge n mash :)

Portions schmortions, it seems to be the general view that 250g is a portion of potato, which is probably why I limit myself to once a week for potato as 750g is about right for me. I would rather have a LOT but only once a week than have a smidgen three times a week and sit there miserably at the end wanting more more more and thus going off to stuff myself on summat else :(

I love mash! You can use fromage frais instead of milk and marg.

Putting the syn value to one side for the moment, does it taste as good though?

Mmm good ol' sossidge n mash :)

Portions schmortions, it seems to be the general view that 250g is a portion of potato, which is probably why I limit myself to once a week for potato as 750g is about right for me. I would rather have a LOT but only once a week than have a smidgen three times a week and sit there miserably at the end wanting more more more and thus going off to stuff myself on summat else :(

I wouldn't trust myself with that lol. Actually by filling the plate with veg, I was happy. 750g would have been too much for this little appetite;)

Back