Portion Sizes

Cheekypasterfield

Rather comfy here
I have really surprised myself. Since being SW my portions sizes keep shrinking and I'm finding its a wonderful feeling.

I was talking to hubby about this I think the reason is that now my only restriction is how full I become, I don't feel deprived.

When I was on WW my whole portion size was controlled by points which never seemed to be enough cos I had my whole day points to think about. Now I don't have that restriction I don't feel the need to eat lots.

I think I also know if I get hungry later, ive got fruit to full back on. So I'm not eating to keep me full till bed time in case I get hungry.

My brain is a funny thing lol

It's true my portions have gotten smaller and I know I can eat after if I need to! It's great! I love slimming world!!! :D

You're absolutely right, mine too. The pressure is off in a way as there is always something you can have! I've never realised that before!

Bee x

my portion sizes do seem to have naturally decreased but i think it is because the pressure is off.you can eat when you want,as much as you want etc....there's no need to pile it all in at one meal.

Hi
:confused: This is where I'm having problems. I joined SW on Monday and the reason I'm overweight is because I eat too much! So... SW tells me "eat as much of this as you want" this includes rice & pasta.. well hello! Give me a bucket? :sigh:

I'm really struggling and have spent most of this week starving hungry because I'm not sure what/how much I can have. I know there are superfree foods to fill up on but I'm not a big fan of fruit, so that eliminates half the superfrees and I don't really want to sit there eating a plate of sprouts. I'm also struggling for packed lunches as I am out from 7am till 6pm 3 days a week. I'm feeling a sense of failure before I've even started :cry:

Fancypants don't worry about your portion sizes! Free food is there to be eaten, don't deprive yourself or you might get disheartened and not continue :-( I hate fruit as well, but I eat a lot of free food and just have a few peas with it or something :) mug shots are great quick snacks if you can get to a kettle and I make up pasta salads and take them with me. If I can get to a microwave I heat up some of last nights dinner like lasagne or spaghetti carbonara. Just read the booklet again and you'll see this plan does work! Don't starve yourself, it is possible to eat lots and be slim! Just look at the inspiration pages and they should convince you! Go on...indulge in those free foods! X

Fancypants- if you struggle getting your 1/3 superfree in because you don't like fruit then you might be better doing the traditional red and green days which don't depend on your 1/3 superfree to work. Have a chat with your consultant. :)

Hi
:confused: This is where I'm having problems. I joined SW on Monday and the reason I'm overweight is because I eat too much! So... SW tells me "eat as much of this as you want" this includes rice & pasta.. well hello! Give me a bucket? :sigh:

I'm really struggling and have spent most of this week starving hungry because I'm not sure what/how much I can have. I know there are superfree foods to fill up on but I'm not a big fan of fruit, so that eliminates half the superfrees and I don't really want to sit there eating a plate of sprouts. I'm also struggling for packed lunches as I am out from 7am till 6pm 3 days a week. I'm feeling a sense of failure before I've even started :cry:

i eat huge portions and i've been having good losses. me and my boyfriend have big appetites and a 500g bag of pasta lasts us one meal!

if it's your first week then test the plan out. eat as much as you want until you're satisfied and see how it goes. i guarantee if you stick to plan (eat free foods, healthy extras and syns) and don't cheat then you will definately lose weight. try it - you'll be surprised! :)

Thank you all for your replies, maybe the red & green will be better for me instead of going without rather than eating fruit.

I can't imagine losing weight and eating that much pasta in one sitting lol :D I'll have to try it

I can only take packed lunches with me, no access to microwaves/kettles so it's pasta & rice salads I think, thanks for the ideas :)

I've got 10 stone to lose so I'll be here for a long time!

Sorry for hijacking the thread! :)

Hi Fanypants,

Don't worry too much. My eyes are still too big for my belly, but all I do is make sure that I listen to tummy and stop when I am full.

The best way I learnt to do this was after eating 1/2 of my plate, I'd stop and focus on my tummy, to see how full I was. If I still felt I needed more food, I'd have another 1/4 and then check my tummy again. Normally I find by then I am full and stopped eating.

I do find that I can't judge pasta, so I weigh out what I think I want but allow my tummy to determine how full I am. For example last night I weighed out 40g dry pasta and thought that's not enough so added another 10g, but when it came down to eating my meal I ended up leaving some of my dinner and guess what it was about 10 - 15g remaining of pasta.

Just try and relax and keep focusing on the signals from your stomach. It may take a few weeks but you will get there x

FancyPants said:
Thank you all for your replies, maybe the red & green will be better for me instead of going without rather than eating fruit.

I can't imagine losing weight and eating that much pasta in one sitting lol :D I'll have to try it

I can only take packed lunches with me, no access to microwaves/kettles so it's pasta & rice salads I think, thanks for the ideas :)

I've got 10 stone to lose so I'll be here for a long time!

Sorry for hijacking the thread! :)

No need to say sorry its all the same subject :eek:)

FancyPants: couscous is good for lunches too, and it doesn't need any cooking. Just cover with hot stock and leave it to soak in. Goes nice with a few spices, chickpeas and a salad (or Mediterranean roast veg mixed in).

Hi Fanypants,

Don't worry too much. My eyes are still too big for my belly, but all I do is make sure that I listen to tummy and stop when I am full.

The best way I learnt to do this was after eating 1/2 of my plate, I'd stop and focus on my tummy, to see how full I was. If I still felt I needed more food, I'd have another 1/4 and then check my tummy again. Normally I find by then I am full and stopped eating.

I do find that I can't judge pasta, so I weigh out what I think I want but allow my tummy to determine how full I am. For example last night I weighed out 40g dry pasta and thought that's not enough so added another 10g, but when it came down to eating my meal I ended up leaving some of my dinner and guess what it was about 10 - 15g remaining of pasta.

Just try and relax and keep focusing on the signals from your stomach. It may take a few weeks but you will get there x

I still cook a big portion up (500g bags of pasta for us too!), but include loads of veg and then only use a small bowl for mine with quite a conservative helping. If when I've eaten it I'm still hungry, I go get seconds. I find it's difficult to see how hungry I am after half a plate, as psychologically I think most of us are conditioned to clear our plates (or we won't get any pudding, says my mum's voice in the back of my head!).

Making big portions is also good because then I don't need to bother cooking the next day (unless my partner, who eats like a horse and never gains weight, finishes it all off!). Most things can be frozen for another time too, although I can never manage to find the space in my little freezer crammed with frozen fruit and veg.

I am very lucky, I've never been part of the 'clean the plate' club but always ate more than I should.

I only weigh ny pasta cos I really can't judge a dry weight.

I found reading the Paul McKenna I can make you thin book helped too. I love his four golden rules and try and follow them, as they make sense.

Hi Fancypants

You're not alone however like everyone has said listen to your stomach. The plan really does work, this website is living proof of that. :D

Re your lunches... There will be a recipe on this site for slimming world quiche (crustless) which you could have on either red or green or EE if you had salad in it. It would just depend what you put in it that would determine what day you have it on. It's yummy warm however it's also yummy cold so you could just slice it up and take it in your lunch box

Hi

Dont panic, I was the same, so I used SW recipe guidelines to help me with portion sizes. SW tend to tell you to use 100g pasta and between 50-75g rice. So I try to use that as my portion size guide for that. I don't like weighing, but I am not good at portion control when pouring it in lol So for the sake of a couple of minutes of weighing, I just weigh it.

When doing roasties I tend to go by 2 potatoes per person. Then fill the plate to brimming with lots of lovely roast vegetables and my meat of course.

If I am doing a sauce like chilli or bolognaise for example I put loads of superfree veg in sauce. I used to use loads of meat and have reduced it and bulked out with carrots and celery etc.

Nommy!

Fancypants- I can not recommend a food flask more, I love mine and it's so handy.

It's like a thermos flask, but with a wide mouth so you can put anything in it (within reason!). Makes lunches so much easier as you can take leftovers in, pasta, soup, casseroles, rissotto etc. I used to struggle with lunches, but if I haven't got what I want in a salad for lunch, at least I can lob anything in the flask and still stick to plan!

In all honesty I would try to avoid working out portion sizes, if you start weighing out things etc it will take away the easiness of slimming world and once you cross over that line I do think it makes it harder to stick to.

Just make sure you are sticking to the 1/3 superfree at meal times (fruits and Any unstarchy veg) and eat in small bites fully digesting/chewing what you have just put in your mouth before taking the next bite, this will help you to recognize the cues that you are satisfied and will avoid any overeating, it is a good idea to have a glass of water with every meal too and try to avoid oversize plates. Stick to a standard dinner plate, you can always serve up more if you find yourself still hungry.

Back